Lee

User icon's explained

26 posts in this topic

User icon's explained

This guide will explain what the user icons in ApexDC++ that have been adopted from the latest DC++ versions. Currently, there is a seleclion between using the old method, and the new (go to Settings -> General).

There are 4 versions of the person (user icon) - green, yellow, warning icon, red - and a mine icon

• Green: 5M upload and above
  • Yellow: 0.1M - 2M upload
  • Red: 0.01M - 0.1M upload
  • Warning icon: 0.005M (very slow)
  • Mine: User has uploaded at constant 100kB/s or above

Firewalled? Isn't it passive users? If so then it's buggy feature. Red don't depend from is user passive or not.

If u don't mind noobish question about this topic. That exactly mean icons "User with fireball"(mine) and "User with server"(router on the network)

Firewalled? Isn't it passive users? If so then it's buggy feature. Red don't depend from is user passive or not.

If u don't mind noobish question about this topic. That exactly mean icons "User with fireball"(mine) and "User with server"(router on the network)

Yes, firewalled - can be set in active or passive, if the user isn't connectable he is shown in red.

Yes, firewalled - can be set in active or passive, if the user isn't connectable he is shown in red.

It's confusing. I tried connect ~10 users, all conected except one. Then, that is not connectable? And that diference it is?

It's confusing. I tried connect ~10 users, all conected except one. Then, that is not connectable? And that diference it is?

Connectable as in his whole in/out connection... you maybe able to get his filelist, but he won't be able to get yours.

you changed the behaviour ? red user icon means speed 0.01 - 0.1

Nah we haven't Lee's mistake :huh:

Nah we haven't Lee's mistake :huh:

More like our mistake, since you okay'ed it. :lol:

More like our mistake, since you okay'ed it. :huh:

that's true ;), but i thought you'd know things like this, you being SDC beta tester and all :lol:

What does the mines mean??

The user has an upload speed greater than 100kB/s.

I'm involved with getting a university hub started for the University of New Brunswick and I reccommended people use ApexDC (though I am not that familiar myself, but it is easy to use and tell them to setup, and looks pretty). But now I have a baunch of users asking questions about the interface, and I am not really that familiar.

They are saying that they are red in the user list and are not firewalled (or fireballed as it says). Are there any other possibilities for why they would be apearing that way (they're not in passive, and no router either)

Also how does the program determine server status for the icons and a few other of the user statuses?

I'm involved with getting a university hub started for the University of New Brunswick and I reccommended people use ApexDC (though I am not that familiar myself, but it is easy to use and tell them to setup, and looks pretty). But now I have a baunch of users asking questions about the interface, and I am not really that familiar.

They are saying that they are red in the user list and are not firewalled (or fireballed as it says). Are there any other possibilities for why they would be apearing that way (they're not in passive, and no router either)

Also how does the program determine server status for the icons and a few other of the user statuses?

The fireball is determined by the user uploading at 100kB/s for a consistant period of time. The users appearing red mean they have a slow upload speed (0.01-0.1MB).

Howdy all,

Just got a DC hub going for a community based network we're running and am (actively) using Apex for the first time. It's a great app and I thank those that have developed it.

I haven't found, or haven't looked hard enough?, for an explanation of the user icons. I found out the mine is a good thing, but there's another i've seen that neither me nor any of the other users are sure about.

iconhelp.JPG

I refer to the icons next to the bottom three users. What do these ones indicate? Would they simply indicate users on the same subnet (my IP being 10.25.10.251).

This is an initiative developed/put into practise by my IP, where users on the same telephone exchange can share data, without it counting against any monthly data quota, so we're all on our own "networks".

It makes sense if that is the explanation! :(

Thanks for that. I guess I just didn't look hard enough! It does make sense, based on the configuration of the network we're running on.

Only thing that threw me and made me think twice, was that not all the users had the same icon :lol:

I dont think so. (Unless my lan is the whole net :D) AFAIK that's a user with server - if you dont stop your PC and dont leave that hub i think you get such icon.

Hi,

The eta-one packet from me for the switch of User icon`s: . Try, She can like you. :D

These icons have bugged me far too long. Here what I think everything is.

th_92666_apexui_122_1094lo.jpg

1.1 Warning Icon - 5 kilobits (> 1 kB/s)

1.2 Red - 10 to 100 kilobits (1 - 12 kB/s)

1.3 Yellow - 100 kilobits to 2 megabits (12 - 256 kB/s)

1.4 Green - over 5 megabits (> 640 kB/s)

2.1 Modem / ISDN

2.2 Cable / DSL

2.3 Wireless

2.4 LAN (T1) / LAN (T3)

3.1 Admin / OP

3.2 Red Mine - User has uploaded at constant 100kB/s or above

3.3 ???

3.4 Question Mark - No connection info

4.1 Green Check - You have communicated with the user. Can appear over any user (exchanged file lists)

4.2 Red Wall - User is firewalled, not connectable or passive. Can appear over any other user icon.

4.3 Dimmed Icon - User is away. Can appear over any other user icon.

4.4 User is using Net Limiter.

Any comments guys? (errors, missing icons)

The1Dude likes this

I think this about covers it...please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Icon Explanation

th_92666_apexui_122_1094lo.jpg

1/8th megabyte = 1 megabit == 128 kB/s = 1024 kilobits

1.1 Warning Icon - 5 kilobits (0 < 1 kB/s)

1.2 Red - 10 to 100 kilobits (1 - 12 kB/s)

1.3 Yellow - 100 kilobits to 2 megabits (12 - 256 kB/s)

1.4 Green - over 5 megabits (> 640 kB/s)

2.1 Modem / ISDN

2.2 Cable / DSL

2.3 Wireless

2.4 LAN (T1) / LAN (T3)

3.1 Admin / OP

3.2 Red Mine - User has uploaded at constant 100kB/s or above

3.3 User is on a LAN

3.4 Question Mark - No connection info

4.1 Green Check - You have communicated with the user. Can appear over any user (exchanged file lists)

4.2 Red Wall - User is passive or not connectable

4.3 Dimmed Icon - User is away. Can appear over any other user icon

4.4 User is using Net Limiter

Color explanation

colorsusersut3.gif

How does my Apex node get all this information? Which properties are broadcasted by the hub?

I've connected with Apex v1.0.1 to a hub which has DC tags disabled for my user class and there are immediately users with "mine" and "network drive" status.

Mine: Who is observing the Powerball 100 kB/s status?

Network drive: Does this just mean that the remote user has "Firewall with port forwarding" active? Because I have a public address for my router and can tell for sure that those users are not on my LAN.

can someone explain every icon ??

userstp9.png

• These user icons, who are pale, are users who are in Away Mode;
  • These user icons, who are without green tick, are users who I've didn't yet downloaded there ( hub users ) sharelists;
  • These user icons, who are with green tick, are users who I've downloaded/checked there ( hub users ) sharelists;
  • There are 2 big groups ( 4x26 = 52 user icons ).

Active Mode Bold & Pale without green tick | Active Mode Bold & Pale with green tick | Passive Mode Bold & Pale without green tick | Passive Mode Bold & Pale with green tick;

• And... that's all. Other are same, look infoguy/dsorc posts.

:)

• These user icons, who are without green tick, are users who I've didn't yet downloaded there ( hub users ) sharelists;
  • These user icons, who are with green tick, are users who I've downloaded/checked there ( hub users ) sharelists;

users who have already connected to you - downloaded from you or anything, have green tick too :)

I hate these usericons, how about to keep it simple and straight forward= Active or Passive and Away or not, thats all a user needs. I´ve been using DC for many years and those icons are not helping at all thay just confuse users and thay are not accutate. An option for using simple or advanced usericons sould be in place and have simple for defult.