Ð.Sp!dér

Terminating downloads from people using oDC-based clients

53 posts in this topic

Ok, if we block uploading to the clients you can't download from with ApexDC, I bet all (or most of) the DC OP's going to jump of joy :D

We force our Users to use Apex or DC.698 anyway :) (well and shakespeer for those darn macs as well as Valknut for our linux group). But It'd be ok with me I guess but we don't get too many non TTH clients on our hub.

Yes but to go back to an older style of hashing, would increase cpu usage immensely, mainly because now when ever you have to hash a file you have to do it twice in two different ways, keep two separate hash tables, etc. Now while I think backwards compat. is an awesome thing, there's only so far you can go.

I totally agree with you. It there is better way, it should be used. Apex is the best DC client, it should be used. But it should not be enforced. If it is better it will be used by more and more people. It should promote better ways, and in time make everyone switch to better way, but it must stay compatible and operable on basic standard.

Each DC client should be able to connect to other DC client. If user needs to conenct he wil sacrifice resources. I do not say you should not switch to better way, just to leave an option that old way may be used if needed. I cannot force someone to switch to Apex if Apex cannot work on his computer, but I should be able to set my SUPERIOR Apex DC client to work with old one.

Each DC client should be able to connect to other DC client. If user needs to conenct he wil sacrifice resources.

Pedja is RIGHT.

So why this topic exists?

The main reason is that old clients ARE able to download from ApexDC++ but they souldn't - since You cannot download from them either. It would be reasonable and fair.

Also, Kulmegil is RIGHT as well.

Please do something about these leechers. Whenever they try to download, they should receive the same error when they try to get our filelist ! Ok, mabey cut them some slack... A LIMIT !

If the file is more then 10 MB the error should come into place. If it's less then 10 MB, download all they want. An option of how much MB would be nice too.

Pedja is RIGHT.

Also, Kulmegil is RIGHT as well.

Please do something about these leechers. Whenever they try to download, they should receive the same error when they try to get our filelist ! Ok, mabey cut them some slack... A LIMIT !

If the file is more then 10 MB the error should come into place. If it's less then 10 MB, download all they want. An option of how much MB would be nice too.

More and more complicated, more and more resources. :D

As I am thinking it all over again, why not really tear the chain between non-TTH and TTH cliens? They will not be able to download from us, we wont be able to download from them. If smo needs non-TTH compatibility, he may run non-TTH client for a moment (thus not necessary to sacrifice resouces all the time with non-TTH-compat Apex). And vice-versa.

Well I would like to know what the devs thinks from both "ethical" and technical point of view.

FulDC++ has terminated compatibility by removing support for clients not using $adcget. I don't care to much whats the min. DC++ version to connect* (0.6XX?), but how it affects other non DC++ based clients.

It would be better to cut them at lower levels - like in SDC++ or DC++ best.

* Coz all "alive" and non-op DC++ mods are based on 0.674 or newer.

There should be a checkbox or something: "Allow NMDC-based clients (oDC) to connect."

I would be the first to uncheck it.

There should be a checkbox or something: "Allow NMDC-based clients (oDC) to connect."

Now that's very incorrect name, as NMDC based means either that the client is based on the NMDC program or that it uses NMDC protocol.

As for the later currently most DC clients use more or less NMDC protocol as ADC is not completed yet...

Anyways as for the time being functionality to block oDC etc. won't be added, maybe later...

[...] Anyways as for the time being functionality to block oDC etc. won't be added, maybe later...

Whhhhy ? :)

DC is about uploading and not downloading, so we won't block uploads to anyone, because we are not leechers.

I agree. It's not like I can't download FROM him, it's just that he cannot upload TO me.

How is it fair if I can upload to these people and not download anything ? And it's not only about me, it's about everyone that uses Apex, Strong (2.0+) or regular DC (0.674+) and is present in those hubs !! If you declared war against oDC and non-TTH clients THEN WHY CAN THEY STILL DOWNLOAD ?

Back when I used Strong 1.0 and PeerWeb I just downloaded their fileslist. More out of curiousity of what they have to offer. Of what they've shared for other people. And only downloaded the stuff I needed or lost/forgotten.

I'm seriously considering of switching back to PeerWeb. :) Apex is a great client with a nifty feature that completly ignores users and I love that !! But it just doesn't cut it... At least for the time being.

I'm asking to COMPLETELY remove compatibility between these types. Non-TTH staying in their own hubs with buggy software and frequent crashes and ****... While TTH in public hubs. Or whatever hubs.

There is also as i pointed out previously the matter of OP clients...

Well that won't be too much of a problem after Apex is done theirs :) hehe. Though ya stopping OP clients from being able to connect to Apex would indeed not be a good idea. Mainly because that sort of thing Ops don't like.

THEN WHY CAN THEY STILL DOWNLOAD ?

because we are not leechers to block uploads

I'm asking to COMPLETELY remove compatibility between these types.

ask your hubowner to clock these clients. There's nothint to be removed in the client.

...ask your hubowner to clock these clients. There's nothint to be removed in the client.

But actually first you removed (changed) something from (in) the client, and for this reason Strong DC++ 2.0 is incompatible with oDC, right? Hubowners did not do anything. :)

@Ð.Sp!dér - The crappy "fix" is to run some secondary oDC compatible client for downloading from oDC. The only shortage is the twin hashing and place for hash data.

The crappy "fix" is to run some secondary oDC compatible client for downloading from oDC. The only shortage is the twin hashing and place for hash data.

Two clients on the same hub ? Hmmm... Don't think so. Mabey if I were to change the nick, but still... It's such a drastick measure !

I'm guessing the mainchat won't work in the secondary client. Bad idea.

Nooo... DC++ devs removed support for non TTH downloads.

What ??

But actually first you removed (changed) something from (in) the client, and for this reason Strong DC++ 2.0 is incompatible with oDC, right? Hubowners did not do anything. :fear:

no, I haven't removed anything.

a) only simple condition has been added to disallow downloads without TTH tree

:) change hasn't been done by me, but by DC++ developers.

What ??

that you are crying on a bad grave :)

So oDC should be dead soon ? It was dead long ago but (stupid? no, unaware?) people keep using it.

Why is that ? Is it because of that stupid program icon ? The all-seeing "eye" ? Wtf ? The world seems to be fulla n00bs...

Back to the topic: If uploading to these people is be blocked, I'm happy. It wasn't fair for the rest of us in the first place !

They should really consider switching to new(er) clients. If not by convenience, then by force !

USE THE FORCE MUSCLE ! USE THE FORCE !! L0L :)

Great job so far.

the only result will be that our client will be banned because of upload blocking :-P

ask your hub owner to block these non-TTH clients in the hub

Two clients on the same hub ? Hmmm... Don't think so. Mabey if I were to change the nick, but still... It's such a drastick measure !

I'm guessing the mainchat won't work in the secondary client. Bad idea.

What ??

For this reason I said "crappy". You better avoid using both clients in one and the same hub simultaneously. If you want to completely solve the problem, ask your ISP for a second IP for the second client, but that is just ridiculous.

Ok. Back to the topic. How about you make it so the stuff shared won't end up in their search window ? Because that's how they download. By searching. Either this or StrongDC++ or ApexDC++ should BLOCK or TERMINATE their downloads. Same thing.

They are to be considered THE leeches of the DC community. Even if they share, it's useless !

oDC is old and people don't know or don't care about that. And some of them even REFUSE to upgrade. oDC 'works' for them and they won't switch to anything else ! Period. Even if they were told by a total stranger or by their own mother ! They just refuse.

When they'll find themselves without download sources, mabey they'll think twice. :blushing:

no blocking feature will be implemented, we are not fake client to block any upload.

Once again, ask the hubowner to forbid these clients... or change the hubs.

Don't think of it as blocking. :D Think of it as... Um... Like a... "Not-listing-when-they-search-stuff-that-we-share" option.

I mean OPTION. I would definetly check/uncheck it the checkbox that checks to see if it says "Check this checkbox to check if the checked user is checking up on you and searching like a pro leeching lamer with the stuff you share". :blushing:

But not on Christmas. :) This is what I did las year. I've seeded like crazy on bt and shared everything I had on DC. That was my present to the world. 1.2 TB in just 4 days ! I even shared my DVD drives (using a quiet-inducing low-speed accsessing program wich I'm not going to name)

So I know what I'm doing. It's just that I'm pissed off by the fact they can download and I can't.

Is it wrong to be selfish ? I think not.

So I know what I'm doing. It's just that I'm pissed off by the fact they can download and I can't.

Is it wrong to be selfish ? I think not.

Look at it this way they will be eventually forced to upgrade to a newer client whether they want to or not, this is just a transition period for computers because of one the new OS coming out for PC's etc, it's also a new transition for DC so things will eventually change and eventually these people will be not able to get on hubs at all (minus select private ones) not because they are leechers though, but because they are obsolete. Let's just hope that when they do upgrade they see the advantages of Apex and choose it as their next client that will last a long time :blushing: