Ð.Sp!dér

Terminating downloads from people using oDC-based clients

53 posts in this topic

It seems they can download stuff just by searching and we can't even get their filelists ! That's just lame...

Apex should not allow this. Please consider implementting a setting because it's not fair. A checkbox or something...

Once upon a time a lame-ass user using oDC (wich is extremely popular here in Romania btw) downloaded a file at about 6 MB/s and it took 3 whole frikin' minutes ! The (loo)user is in my LAN probabily lives in the same building or near by.

So, my computer crashed that time because of the huge speed. And I had to reboot :)

After he got what he was looking for, closed oDC. I don't know everyone in my neighberhood so I don't know who downloaded from me. Plus there were 3.000+ users in that hub.

And I did'n even get his filelist... Goddam leechers !!!

You can't get his filelist because you couldn't download from him anyways, and because oDC uses old .dclst (non-tth) filelists

Yes, it is not fair, and it is stupid, and I've said my opinion before. This only can make people run oDC instead of Apex, or both. PLEASE JUST ADD SUPPORT BACK. But your PC is very unlikely to have crashed because of high speed.

It's because of my AC power supply. More activity implies more power consumption.

Electricity's a bitch where I live and the PC dies if my HDD reads/writes over 8 MB/s in total. At least in my case.

When a i see uploads at my full uploading speed and juicy shares (50+ GB), why can't I get filelists ??

Oh, it's because of those 50% oDC-using stupid people that don't even know other DC++ clients exist !

And the fact is, they don't even care !! They got used to the 'Eye" icon and think that is the BEST client EVER MADE !

It's sad actually... :ermm:

Buy a proper PSU(Power Supply Unit).

Why dont you limit your UL speed then ?And what can we do about those uneducated users ? Will blocking them solve your problem - NO.And BTW the only thing you are going to achieve if you block odc users is get banned.

I'm just asking for a feature that displayes an error message just like the one when they try to get filelists.

As far as i know the exact error msg comes from the client.You cant tell oDC to show such message.

} else if(j->isSet(QueueItem::Source::FLAG_NO_TTHF)) {

tmp += TSTRING(SOURCE_TOO_OLD);

Now that i think of it - it will be good if apex automatically sends a PM to some non-TTH-client user with explanation and maybe little 'spam' (trying to convince him switching to Apex :ermm: ).That way we can decrease the number of non-TTH clients' users and increase apex's number of users :)

Good ideea. But the error i meant earlyer would do wonders !

Imagine downloading something and waching very carefuly the download progress.

After 10 seconds or so, the download gets killed and a weird text is shown.

Imagine the look on their face when it says oDC is 3 years old and was dropped by the developers...

Not a very happy one ? Most people in Romania don't even know how to read proper English.

Especially the technical/new age stuff...

You remember what Einstein said about the universe and human stupidity? STOP this client vs. client war. It can only make things worse. Things should be as compatible as possible, and if we add the support for non-TTH back, they will be compatible.

Edited by Zlobomir

We can't get their filelist because WE DO NOT WANT. ;)

I do.

I get so pissed when someone downloads at my full upload speed (2 MB/s), shares over 50 GB and I can't download anything from him.

Correction: ...because WE DO NOT WANT DUE TO STUPIDITY. Sorry for the Caps.

I do.

I get so pissed when someone downloads at my full upload speed (2 MB/s), shares over 50 GB and I can't download anything from him.

Hmm... In my local network my full upload speed is 10 mbs. Usually I'm limit it to 1. :)

In my share more than 300 Gb of files and I'm absolutely not pissed when somebody can download this information.

If I can't download filelist from somebody and see -- thy download from me I'm write to them little message with advertising to switch on ApexDC or StrongDC. Usually they asking me "Why?" and I tell them WHY. And they trust and installing ApexDC. On this moment only one man say NO... Poor dummy boy... I'm limit they speed to 1 kbps (I'm use "ApexDC speed mod")...

p.s. As I say earlier "Favorite Users" not ideal name for... "Favorite Users". In speed mod in favlist I can limit upload speed for some peoples and, also, ban them fully (they can't download from me anything) or make them "SuperUsers" (no upload speed limits in all cases).

Ummm... and I fought that You can't download form ApexDC++ using some old crap (lack of $ADCGET or something)?? o_0

Obviously this should be disabled if possible.

OK, my point is that a user with OLD client does not automatically mean that he is BAD user with corrupted files. Just like not each man with a gun is a criminal. So why we should add restrictions, leading then to "reverse-punish" via speed-mods, etc? With such mods I don't think we will be able to fix bugs or distinguish (easily) between Apex and Apex mods.

We can't get their filelist because WE DO NOT WANT. :)

You mean you do not want it?

I am following your posts on this forum from the day I came here, and find you very irritating. You act as you know everything and everyone else is stupid. You set and force your own rules just because you can? you are acting as bully all the time, man.

From my point of view, you act as Apex is the only good DC client and your goal is that everyone uses Apex.

Open minded community looks for different clients which are compatible, and that is why standards are for. It is great that Apex has some more options but PLEASE do not force us to use them if we do not want to, or worse, if we need not to use them.

By prohibiting interoperability among Apex and some other very popular DC clients you are actualy doing bad thing for whole DC community, the same one Microsoft does by using his position to force stuff.

When we ask for some settings you declinebecause "that shoulkd be done by hub", and then you enforce some rules within client which indeed should be done nowhere else but on hub. If hub admins allows some DC client to connect, then all other clients on that hub shoyuld be able to connect to that client. That is all story. If hub admins do not want clients that use oDC, then, they will ban that client.

All this goes in totaly different direction you are thinking of. More and more hubs do ban Apex.

You're right. But most hub OPs don't care about us being able (or not) to connect to oDC users. They care about the numbers. If a hub has many users and the mainchat is active at all time, then that means the hub is popular ! Wich attracts even more users. Just like flies are attracted to ...sugar.

The more the merryer. :)

I am following your posts on this forum from the day I came here, and find you very irritating. You act as you know everything and everyone else is stupid. You set and force your own rules just because you can? you are acting as bully all the time, man.

From my point of view, you act as Apex is the only good DC client and your goal is that everyone uses Apex.

Open minded community looks for different clients which are compatible, and that is why standards are for. It is great that Apex has some more options but PLEASE do not force us to use them if we do not want to, or worse, if we need not to use them.

By prohibiting interoperability among Apex and some other very popular DC clients you are actualy doing bad thing for whole DC community, the same one Microsoft does by using his position to force stuff.

When we ask for some settings you declinebecause "that shoulkd be done by hub", and then you enforce some rules within client which indeed should be done nowhere else but on hub. If hub admins allows some DC client to connect, then all other clients on that hub shoyuld be able to connect to that client. That is all story. If hub admins do not want clients that use oDC, then, they will ban that client.

All this goes in totaly different direction you are thinking of. More and more hubs do ban Apex.

Yes but to go back to an older style of hashing, would increase cpu usage immensely, mainly because now when ever you have to hash a file you have to do it twice in two different ways, keep two separate hash tables, etc. Now while I think backwards compat. is an awesome thing, there's only so far you can go. As far as I know oDC has not been updated in a few years, since then most clients have moved on to Tiger Tree hashing, which seems to be the superior form, however is not compat. with the older styles used by NMDC. So its a trade off do you want a sleek low cpu usage client, or a more sluggish one that allows more people to connect? To me it's more important to have a smooth running client, because in the end that's what people will want. As much as it'd be nice to have every compatible it's almost like saying I want my Atari Game console to be able to play missile command with an Xbox 360 :) *bit of an extreme example yes I know* but I think the point is still made that DC++ in general has advanced past the old style of hashing and other clients need to upgrade with the rest of the community to keep up.

An easier way to do it, if you wanted to add backwards compatibility would be somehow have the hubsoft run a sort of conversion program between the older clients and the newer ones. Now I don't think that would be easy either. Now while it's great to have backwards compatibility again I think it's to the users advantage to upgrade to newer software, if gives them better preformance and overall will aide advance the DC community.

IMHO you have purely misunderstood my point. In several other topics I have explained more, and there you can check whether I am against any interoperability. Since you have already read all my posts, it is not necessary to give links. Anyway, if you need links, ask here. Below is a detailed comment of your post.

I kindly ask you to give examples for such behavior, links please. I have never mentioned you since my registration here, so from my point of view you are completely useless. Still, I noticed that just now... :D

Just a several posts above the one you have quoted, I have typed smth else. Read it if you like.

Actually here is some example for who acts how: http://forums.apexdc.net/index.php?s=&...post&p=4698

I guess it would be better to PM my answer, but since you did not PM your comment, here it is. :)

Cheers

Edited by Zlobomir

By prohibiting interoperability among Apex and some other very popular DC clients you are actualy doing bad thing for whole DC community,
Lets say this once more with feeling.

APEX DIDN'T MAKE THIS DECISION

DC++ did, so go over to there forums and complain. Apex aggree with it and see little point in developing support for projects that no longer have active development. Instead of trying to convince the Apex Dev team to implement the antiquated way of doing things why dont you get the developers of these popular clients to pull there finger out and upgrade there client.

If a hub bans clients for not supporting the old file list method they will have a very quite hub. As dc++ has removed this functionality. any client based on this will not have that functionality and if a client is not based on this how are do you expect to connect to an adc hub. bigcanuck sumed things up quite well. Your new windows Vista install wont give you support for win 98 apps.

look how easy they had it on the dc++ forum

and this seems to be the original descution that decided hashing was needed

Edited by balder

So why this topic exists?

The main reason is that old clients ARE able to download from ApexDC++ but they souldn't - since You cannot download from them either. It would be reasonable and fair.

on the other hand - ODC and similar ... things fanatics can stay in their own hubs and no one should bother them - it's their choice of religon :D

PS I think more then enough has been said in "old crap" topic. Still topic is coming back (with old arguments rather) all the time... why?

Ok, if we block uploading to the clients you can't download from with ApexDC, I bet all (or most of) the DC OP's going to jump of joy :D

Personally I don't care that much since min version on my hubs and other I visit is 0.674. It's not really worth all this fuss.

But if You really can block only those old clients then it's perfectly fine...

I'm afraid there is a catch, isn't there? like cutting off much more versions then 0.3XX (even 0.4XX) and ODC :/