Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
darkins

multidownload.... why just 10 segment?

26 posts in this topic

if my bandwich is good and my cpu is a conroe why i have to been limited in the number of segments? revconnect is unlimited and is very popular for this!

i have tested clients with unlimited segments and i have never had a problem... the clients are stable and don't crash

pls enjoy a real multidownloading!!! :)

i have tested clients with unlimited segments and i have never had a problem... the clients are stable and don't crash
I don't think it's restricted to 10 because of instability. I would guess it's more to do with:

1. Save some slots for other people.

2. Prevent the slots being wasted, since it can fully saturate your connection, and still take more slots, which just slow the others down.

More than 10 segments also kills your speeds per user as described in pic screenshot2eq4.jpg

I don't think it's restricted to 10 because of instability. I would guess it's more to do with:

1. Save some slots for other people.

2. Prevent the slots being wasted, since it can fully saturate your connection, and still take more slots, which just slow the others down.

but if i take 10 slot and my download take me 100 minutes or i take 100 slot and my download take me 10 minutes isn't the same?

in this way my download is better, the slots of each people aren't engaged too long and the people in queque don't wait too much over a long time span.

More than 10 segments also kills your speeds per user as described in pic screenshot2eq4.jpg

yeah!! "can decrease"... but i should be free to decide...

This limit exists for a reason (yes, it's slot wasting in the first place). That would make SDC++ / Apex DC++ banned in most of those hubs who already allowed it (like on mine). Hope it won't be "implemented".

Maybe You need to setup "disconnecting slow downloads" properly (in the settings >> limits).

I did simple test... download with 59 segments (it didn't go over it) and with 10 segments. Speeds were the same, but with 59 segments I wasn't be able to use my internet and the ping increased a lot.

And as I already said: DC isn't about downloading but about sharing - other people want to get free slots too.

I did simple test... download with 59 segments (it didn't go over it) and with 10 segments. Speeds were the same, but with 59 segments I wasn't be able to use my internet and the ping increased a lot.

the situation is so heterogeneous that is impossible said "10 is better than 69" (i.e. my case)... however each one has to test his connection and set it with 10 or 69 segment...

And as I already said: DC isn't about downloading but about sharing - other people want to get free slots too.

yeah... i agree with u... if i finish my download i can get free the slots and share that i have just downloaded

i agree. but for some ppl with fast connection, 10 segments is too low.

i have 2mbit donwload speed, and i don't need more than 15 segments - when i donwload from ppl from my country [in poland, upload speed sux :)]

also, u should configure slow download disconnecting to remove slow users :)

Hey this may be the reason for slower downloading in LAN environment, which we have discussed before...

hehe a good programmer always leaves them wanting more :)

DC++ has only 1 segment and noone complains about it.

Excuse me? Then why you made SDC++ with 1+ sources? :) :)

Excuse me? Then why you made SDC++ with 1+ sources? :) :)

Maybe because he know that users like u wanted a dl with multiple sources. Stop bitchin if u have issues with 10sgs just compile your own with more sgs. 10sgs is perfect for me 8mb dl and 820kb/s with 8sgs...

Maybe because he know that users like u wanted a dl with multiple sources. Stop bitchin if u have issues with 10sgs just compile your own with more sgs. 10sgs is perfect for me 8mb dl and 820kb/s with 8sgs...

Agreed :) If you dont like how things are done in these clients, learn C++ and make your OWN! :)

Agreed :D If you dont like how things are done in these clients, learn C++ and make your OWN! :)

I do not say that 10 segments aren't enough for me. But, 10 segments may not be enough for someone else. IF the segment's number is a weak point, you just say: "Well, it's OK with me, so I don't care at all"?

And my note was not intended as a criticism at all, but as a joke, see the emoticons. :)

I do not say that 10 segments aren't enough for me. But, 10 segments may not be enough for someone else.

exactly!!

the isp of my country, italy, give us just 256kbit/s in up (the down is about 640k, 4m, 8m... but in any case just 256k for the up)... now.... if i want to download a movie in my language i have to download from italians who have 32Kbyte/s / 3 (min of slot/user...) = 10K/slot... and this is optimistic.... obviously!

the number of slot allows in apexdc is just 10... so my download bandwidth are 100K... this value isn't bad but may be better :)

As previously suggested, configure your slow download disconnecting settings. This will disconnect the 10KB/s users ad go for the nes with a whole 30KB/s. I understand your situation, but why can't the users just change the amount of slots they have or whatever, you shouldn't have to use everyones slots. As also stated, if you download from 100 people it would be slower than 10 who just had 10 times more upload probably, because that number of connections will have a negative effect.

10 is way more than enough for my 4mbit connection, but I can see where you are coming from.

There's always the possiblity that the number of connections you can have will be revised in future (after all, internet connections are still improving etc.) but I highly doubt that it will ever be unlimited.

I got 100Mbit, and usually it don't differ much if i use more then 10 slots, and in those speeds, it doesn't really matter if the full DVD-r takes 5 minutes or 5½ minutes, 10 seems to be a nice balance

I use a version Apex DC++ modified with no limit segment number .I try 20- 30 segment and works a little bit faster and better.

I want to know if is an option to set a size of segment downloading .

This option i think is useful in combination with 20-50 segments .I want to set the size of segment 100-200 kb and in this case maybe the slow users are useful .

I use a version Apex DC++ modified with no limit segment number .I try 20- 30 segment and works a little bit faster and better.

I want to know if is an option to set a size of segment downloading .

This option i think is useful in combination with 20-50 segments .I want to set the size of segment 100-200 kb and in this case maybe the slow users are useful .

No, you'll take all the user's upload slots so others can't use them.

I try 20- 30 segment and works a little bit faster and better.

it's really nice. You take 2x - 3x more slots in network, so many other users aren't able to download anything and it works only A LITTLE BIT faster ^_^

it's really nice. You take 2x - 3x more slots in network, so many other users aren't able to download anything and it works only A LITTLE BIT faster ;)

Yep, and do it with many files and your router won't like it, leading to slower pings and possibly connect timeouts etc.

No, you'll take all the user's upload slots so others can't use them.

Ok I understand this, but is possible to have an option to set segment size ? You know if exist such option in a program DC++ ? I search but i did'nt find anything .

At some point I'm going to experiment with removing both the slot system (so everyone has effectively infinite slots) and the number of segments. I reckon it'd be like bittorrent, especailly with apexdc's chunk prioritisation. Will munch your internet connection but be very fast: just like bittorrent.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0