Guest Toast

Suggest features for ApexDC++

149 posts in this topic

Well i wanted to start a simple thread on what features you think are missing or features that perhaps don't exist yet in apex that could be done (make sure that you know what you are talking about when you make such a feat so it becomes due able).

this thread is meant for Crise in the end so he has a sense of what the users want.

Ive taken the liberty to discuss an expansion in the plugin system so that it can include a new version of the winamp bar cause i know this feature was loved by users also a new idea that im not going to go into yet but i hope that Crise can pull it off cause i think apex users would love it :)

So please make a suggestion or a request in this thread and make sure that there is a good statement to why it should be included.

Yeah, I found the little Winamp bar useful and would like to see its comeback in a from of a plugin :)

any other ideas are welcomed

sidenote: i gave crise a suggestion to make it compatible with foobar also if possible cause there are alot of ppl using foobar and to some extent WMP

Heads up, GUI manipulation has been enabled in plugins for the next version... (or kind of it has been all along, just fixed few crashes with it, CBT hook FTW :)).

Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated though, so keep them coming.

Come on ppl what are u missing this is a chance to get a feature u might desire in the client

Don't use TLS as default (for example when connecting to StrgDC++ 2.21), since then you cannot connect to these clients. I guess you need to forward another port in your firewall when you want to use TLS.

It has been discussed in some other thread here as well.

Don't use TLS as default (for example when connecting to StrgDC++ 2.21), since then you cannot connect to these clients. I guess you need to forward another port in your firewall when you want to use TLS.

It has been discussed in some other thread here as well.

When you have your ports set up correctly, you should encounter no problems, besides you can always disable TLS yourself if you have issues. I personally have TLS enabled and have yet to encounter any problems with it.

When you have your ports set up correctly, you should encounter no problems, besides you can always disable TLS yourself if you have issues. I personally have TLS enabled and have yet to encounter any problems with it.

Yes, yes, I know. But what if you have only one TCP and one UDP port to be active? (and can only have these two forwarded). You would need another TCP port for TLS connection (if I understand correctly). Is there a "how to get active" guide dealing with this fact?

Btw. another feature request: Userlist filter works when pressing a key. Make it work on right mouse click - paste and right mouse click - delete too :crying:

Dont use TLS what is that supposed to be as a request come on something better please

TLS is a real good feature so next..

Dont use TLS what is that supposed to be as a request come on something better please

TLS is a real good feature so next..

I don't think criticising people's suggestions is going to get you more. :crying:

oookay, so what about my next request? is it accepted? :whistling:

oookay, so what about my next request? is it accepted? :whistling:

read my thread further down for my idea!

was a question/idea

Feature request:

Make extra slot count settings in the properties of a favorite hub - these would add to the global slot count set in ApexDC settings and would be available to the users in this particular hub only.

Useful for intranet hubs :whistling:

//edit: another feature request: make the list of uploaded/downloaded files scroll just like the main chat - toggle off automatic scrolling when user scrolled up manually.

Another request/question:

Can you include "kolobok" smilies in new version? :whistling: (they're included in StrongDC++)

Feature request:

Auto-rename filename if a file with the same name already exists in download folder.

Ex:

I've a file named fileA.zip in my download folder. Now I want to download another file (with different TTH) which is also named fileA.zip. Currently I need to rename manually the file (using Download to... option). I would like a feature that automatically renames the file by adding a counter or something like that, i.e. "fileA.zip" would be named "fileA (1).zip".

Another feature request:

TTH filter list

I would like to hide files with certain TTH hashes from search results and filelists.

1) Some method of readily finding things added to some ones share since last I looked. I prefer a local store (or database) of filelist contents as this would be a client side change and storage penalty could be customised by user wanting the feature.

For discussion / details see http://forums.apexdc.net/index.php?s=&...ost&p=22114

2) If external drive with share content goes offline, try and reconnect next time file list is refreshed or ApexDC is restarted.

For discussion see http://forums.apexdc.net/index.php?showtopic=3123

BTW, this probably should be a poll thread to give some idea of user priorities (which developer could take note or ignore on a case by case basis).

for number 2, i hope apex will have that since it is working in DC++ and other clients already.

Moved to feature requests. Keep 'em coming. :whistling:

Feature request:

All languages included in ApexDC++, choice in installation which language will be as default.

...thx

btw. can someone from staff add this slovak to customise page?

Anyone got a major idea instead of small stuff like smiles languages etc more in terms of a challenge that Crise will get a kick off since my major idea might not get done i might as well talk about it.

My idea came from a discussion with Crise about about libs and he explained to me that there was a a torrent lib that basically was something simple my initial idea was to make a plugin based on that lib and have dl and uploads hooked in to the dc dl and upload windows along so the client had torrent support :thumbsup: imho a fun project that ppl actually could use all in one project not sure if everyone would a agree with me but thats the beauty of it its a plugin if ppl don't like don't use it :blink:

now ppl start thinking large :whistling:

Edited by Toast

would need to have a whole new set of ports for the torrent bit, users have enough trouble configuring active mode...

1 more port and from the bittorent technique it isn't even necessary to open up ports but its just an IDEA not reality so i guess you only read my post partly

Anyone got a major idea instead of small stuff like smiles languages etc more in terms of a challenge that Crise will get a kick off since my major idea might not get done i might as well talk about it.

My idea came from a discussion with Crise about about libs and he explained to me that there was a a torrent lib that basically was something simple my initial idea was to make a plugin based on that lib and have dl and uploads hooked in to the dc dl and upload windows along so the client had torrent support :thumbsup: imho a fun project that ppl actually could use all in one project not sure if everyone would a agree with me but thats the beauty of it its a plugin if ppl don't like don't use it :blink:

now ppl start thinking large :whistling:

1 more port and from the bittorent technique it isn't even necessary to open up ports but its just an IDEA not reality so i guess you only read my post partly

Nah dude, I read all of it. I just meant to say with users who cannot even forward ports, whats the chance that the support forum wouldnt get flooded with the same similar questions. Another issue would be for those whose ISP's throttle bittorrent traffic. I understand its an IDEA, Im just trying to get some issues out of the way at the IDEA stage.

Hello all. First, congratulations for how Apex looks and does. My humble list of suggestion, at least those that pop up into my mind right now:

1. In last versions StrongDC does not allow to share Windows/Program Files folders. Extend this option to files ended in .avi.exe, .mp3.exe etc because there are a lot of botnets/ddos tools spreading this way...

2. I noticed StrongDc react to (some) CTM floods notifying the user. However, I propose to do more: if a CTM exploit is detected automatically notify the major public hublists about it. This, of course, requires cooperation from the hublist side, but I think it is a good idea. If the exploit happens again, auto-remove that hub from the favorite list... The hubs that are used for ddos will remain with no users. And it does not matter the fact that the owner is flooding or the hub is miss-configured, just remove it from fav...

3. I would like an option to group more hubs into categories. Then, i can for example display only the tabs from one category... and switch between categories as I like. That is because if I am connected to many hubs, there will be many tabs, and I want to group them somehow... The option of "mini-tabs" is great, but this is more. And, of course, the RSX option of category into fav window can not hurt...

4. Make a more decent "search for" into mainchat / prv window. Options like search up/down, case (in)sensitive etc. See ODC 5.31 for an idea, although it is primitive, it is much more then what apex have...

5. Make a profile --> minimal with low ram consumption, in case i only want to download and i don't care about chat/userlist. If i enable that profile, no hubs window, mainchat, prv or whatsoever... and of course no userlist. Or something like this, my idea is that sometimes i only want to download, and perhaps i could gain some memory/cpu if not using mainchat etc.

6. Animation in mainchat ;) Although you may laugh, somehow this is the future, ppl want to look to a movie / play a game when on pc and not type to a console... You can start with animated emotions. This idea has some potential and cpu/mem is not a problem for this...

7. Lol. Shortcuts for menus, at least for basic ones... if possible, configurable per hub. For example, as an idea, when I press F1 the client send to the active mainchat +help... :D

8. If I do a general search like for ex. ".avi" I will get a lot of results... I know the nmdc protocol doesn't allow complex searches. But I would like to be able to use some more complex filtering on the reported results and perhaps save them into a file.

As I said, this is all I have in my mind right now. But perhaps more will come :))

Thank you and keep the good work on this client, actually one of the greatest dc clients ever made.

1. Feature: Auto Announce

What it does: First you configure Directories, which will be watched for changes. If there is a new file, it automatically sends a Message to a specified Channel in a connected Hub.(Maybe triggered by the user, after he checked, which files will be announced)

2. Feature: Synchronize Folders

In the Intranet someone is running a Server. He automatically downloads the newest episodes of american series with RSS feeds with utorrent. The "sync Folders" function automatically downloads the filelist from this user and checks, if there are new files and downloads them automatically to a specified folder.

I wrote a Java Client which already has this features, but i think it would be nice to have those features out of the Box ;-)