Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goralf

Temp files resume after HD crash

13 posts in this topic

Hi

I have a number of dctmp files backed up from a failed hard drive. The files were downloaded with my then installation of PWDC++ 0.41, but when the hard drive crashed, obviously that installation disappeared.

I still have these temp files - is there any way I can make my new PWDC 0.41 installation accept and resume download of these files, or must I just trash them (please say no, some of them are rare, at over 70% and took weeks to just get to that stage:o)?

Thank you in advance and sorry if this question has been asked before - I couldnt find it when I browsed the support forum.

Windows XP sp2.

Hi

I have a number of dctmp files backed up from a failed hard drive. The files were downloaded with my then installation of PWDC++ 0.41, but when the hard drive crashed, obviously that installation disappeared.

I still have these temp files - is there any way I can make my new PWDC 0.41 installation accept and resume download of these files, or must I just trash them (please say no, some of them are rare, at over 70% and took weeks to just get to that stage:o)?

Thank you in advance and sorry if this question has been asked before - I couldnt find it when I browsed the support forum.

Windows XP sp2.

It's possible but complicated, as you need to find the files you were downloading before (exact same file, same tth etc.) start downloading them again and then mess around with the newly generated queue.xml and then replace the new temp files with the old ones from your backup...

could someone who has time write a step-by-step guide perhaps? because atm. i don't have the time :)

or you could just download them again. ive read what you said about files being rare and took weeks.

but maybe that can be fixed.

1. what connection you got?

2. what files were you after? (PM me) mind me asking, but maybe i have some of them.

My connection's pretty slow - 2/0.8 MB. I think I understand the basic steps in your instructions Crise, so thanks a lot for taking the time with that, anyway.

The only thing I dont know is how to rearrange the queue.xml file. If someone knows and has the time I'd really appreciate that info too.

One more question - can I derive the full TTH of the complete file from the temp file somehow?

Cheers.

One more question - can I derive the full TTH of the complete file from the temp file somehow?

nope, not as far as i know, you need to find that out manually (search for them again) unfortunetly..

1. To rearrange the Queue.xml you ned a text editor like Notepad.

2. I think that the TTH is contained in the name of the Temp file ( F. ex.: DIAMANT 10 - VYRBICA.mp3.HDYA3IFCYNJVUXNGC2SOC47NPI3FTQDAXXGZGZQ.dctmp ).

Sorry for the example, do not download that "song" :).

BTW, if I were you, I'd do the following:

1. Install Peerweb 0.41.

2. Define the Temp and Complete Downloads folders (best is if you have used the defaults or can remember the path to the old ones).

3. Copy the *.dctmp-s you have to f. ex C:\Program Files\Peerweb DC++\Temp (look for the exact folder!).

4. Search by the TTH for the files.

5. Start the dowhload.

HTH, please look carefully and correct me if necessary.

Edited by Zlobomir

Corrections, you must start a new download for the file first, then shutdown the client, then copy the old temp files over to the new temp files and check that queue.xml is fine and then restart client :) should work, never tried in practise though...

My method.

1) Start new downloads of the same (TTH) files.

2) Exit. Swap new dctmp's with old ones.

3) Additionally edit Queue.xml find FreeBlocks=" " and VerifiedParts=" " and delete everything betwen quotation marks except space.

4) Run.

This works for me for repairing broken (corupted) files so it should also for incomplete downloads...

this sounds like it would make a good guide

this sounds like it would make a good guide

Yep, I have published it in the guide forum ready for launch. Cheers Kulmegil. :)

Glad to help. but that wasn't my idea, I just remember how...

haven't tested it on SDC++ 2.00 (witch ApexDC++ will be based at probably)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0