Gibbz

100Mb/s is max download/upload speed :(

21 posts in this topic

I have a gigabit network and have found that the max download and upload speed of apexDC is the speed of a 100Mb/s network :)

Any chance of releasing a quick patch to fix this?

BM, it does not matter at all! One HDD can fill upto 1/3-2/5 of 1G-uplink.

But i think there is no problem at all... Or, at least, no serious problem... I also have 1G uplink in my LAN, but other computers connected using 100M-switches, so each of them can load it's own channel up to the full capacity. When all limits turned off, I often watch upload speeds like 20-25 megs per second, so DC allows such fast transmissions indeed, although maximum connection speed is set at 100M (in settings). Please note I have no RAID arrays, that allow speeds like 100-150 Mbytes/sec :)

So, the suggestion is the only to add one more item to ConnSpeed combo-box, named "1000M" or "1G".

The HDD speed DOES matter.

For example, an PATA drive will allow a Max write speed of 55Mb/s in every day usage, so how can you say it doesn't matter?

For example, an PATA drive will allow a Max write speed of 55Mb/s in every day usage, so how can you say it doesn't matter?

I said so because it's obvious that HDD speed (for modern HDDs) is MUCH MORE than 100 Mbit (that is maximum in "Settings->General" window).

L3PG8MB8BC.png

I think this is so easy do add one more item for conn spedd combo... :)

Well, i provided the example of the real situation (and can also make some screenshots to prove...) where this setting can be useful... What any arguments you need?

<offtopic>PATA HDD... Oh yes... Such a slow devices... Wide IDE connectors.... Nostalgy.... </offtopic>

well for starters that speed in general page has no impact on anything whatsoever... it is just info sent to hubs, but which has no real meaning on anything.

well for starters that speed in general page has no impact on anything whatsoever... it is just info sent to hubs, but which has no real meaning on anything.

Of course, i DO understand it. But this means I cannot provide adequate info for hub while using 1G-connections :)

This is a tiny bug/typo, of course... :) Well, you may name it as you wish, but the solution is so easy...

Ok, in that case this is a feature request... I'll move it to correct forum. :)

So a quick benchmark, very rough. But transferring a 10gig file across the network(via windows) takes about 1-2minutes. Transferring the same file with ApexDC takes about 10-15mins.

Thats basically the problem. I tryed to edit the config file to add a 1000 option, but it did not make any difference.

So a quick benchmark, very rough. But transferring a 10gig file across the network(via windows) takes about 1-2minutes. Transferring the same file with ApexDC takes about 10-15mins.

Thats basically the problem. I tryed to edit the config file to add a 1000 option, but it did not make any difference.

This is not connected with 100M Limit. This is, more probably, connected with the nature of DC++ protocol itself... Small chunks, hash checking, alternate searching... etc... Windowz performs faster as it doesn't do a half of it, it sends only data.

SATA and SCSI drives can transfer at this speed I agree, but since when, has a 100Mb trans rate been considered slow??

I believe you are mixing units. A HDD's speed is measured in megaBYTES pers second, while network transmission speeds are normally measured in megaBITS per second. A typical HDD can writte WELL in excess of 100 megaBITS per second, while a typical DSL or cable connection is doing great if it can transmit at 10 megaBITS per second. So the disk is never a significant bottle neck in DL'ing.

UPDATE: I just benchmarked a disk to disk (SATA to SATA) transfer of a single 4 GByte file -- it took 87 seconds. That's in excess of 400 megaBITS per second, or 50 megaBYTES per second.

I think the HDD will be the bottleneck over 350-500 Megabits/sec connection.

post-65-1205967384_thumb.png

This is not connected with 100M Limit. This is, more probably, connected with the nature of DC++ protocol itself... Small chunks, hash checking, alternate searching... etc... Windowz performs faster as it doesn't do a half of it, it sends only data.

I would not think that anything would be that inefficient!

SATA and SCSI drives can transfer at this speed I agree, but since when, has a 100Mb trans rate been considered slow??

Well, probably you're not working with large files :( 'Slow' is a RELATIVE characteristic :( Smth can seem slow for me and seem FAST for you :) If you think that 100M is enough for any user, you can just sit back and relax, we understand you completely :)

The most interesting is that, indeed, in the 1G-network i really cannot achieve speeds more than 20-25 megs per sec via Apex/sDC/... although wind0ze can transmit files quicker. First, i dont want you to change DC protocol, etc... The only thing i want to understand, what can slow such a fast transfers... Small blocks? Insufficient disk cache? Slow CPU? Smth else? I suggested smth above, but there were only guesses. It's not a problem (because we can use another protocol), but... now I'm interested in knowing what component is the real bottleneck. Hint: the answer 'HDD' is wrong, obviously. The only one idea is that windows can achieve speeds ~30-40Mbytes/sec over 1G-LAN when data on HDD is arranged in a large linear block. When any fragmenation present, it drops to 15-18 megs, or so on. So i think that this can be a main reason (blockish behaviour of DC creates 'turbulence' and slows processs).

;) I`d love this feature if it wasn`t uslles for 99% of w.w. users and I wouldn`t search suppot for my own one . Download/upload speed depends on everything (HDD`s, CPU`s, Cache memory,switches, servers, internet conection , setings , etc). Not everyone has intel C2D QX with 16-32 MB cache , and HDD SATA 2 with 16 MB cache and a gigabite network.Suport my UTSFile /UTSProtocol andyou will have your transfers made in 1 second on your gigabite network .

I can get 50MB/s on my gigabit connection.

Another factor to keep in mind here, is that usualy you might not have only 1 download going on, but maybe 3 downloads and 3 uploads which will have to share the HD's bandwidth.

Do you think you could autodetect this so we don't get people lying about their speed?