Satan

Fastest Download Speed?

64 posts in this topic

Hey All,

Just wondered how fast you all download. I finally got my connection sorted and wanted to see how it compares to everyone else?

I know it's not incredible compared to connections most people will have. But anyway.

post-28-1186834213_thumbjpg

my record is 12MB/s (LAN) and 2MB/s - international. BTW i think that if you start downloading from yourself you could get even greater speeds than 12MB/s :P

I have a friend who has a 100Mb/s connection. Best he got was 12Mb/s too, but he said that was a HDD restriction rather than his connection.

thats bs, he has 100 Megabit connection and that equals 12 megabytes/s. if you look at some benchmarking results you will see at what speeds modern hdds are capable to write.

BTW i think that if you start downloading from yourself you could get even greater speeds than 12MB/s :P

but only if you will download to different HDD than you are uploading from...

FIne would probably be about 10KB/s more than Satan. Considering updating to 20mbit with my current provider, probably not worth the extra money though.

thats bs, he has 100 Megabit connection and that equals 12 megabytes/s. if you look at some benchmarking results you will see at what speeds modern hdds are capable to write.

I forgot to mention that this was like 10 years ago he had this connection. It's probably well over that now.

Seeker I seem to share a connection speed similar to yours. So it's nice to know what I should expect.

Seeker I seem to share a connection speed similar to yours. So it's nice to know what I should expect.

On a 4mbit connection you won't get that. 480KB/s is the max, so a little below that. If you're on 5mbit then 600KB/s is max, which makes me wonder what Seeker's connection speed is sold as. If it's 6mbit @ 530KB/s it's not bad but a little lower than I'd expect.

According to speedtest. I get this:

168986876.png

However, my router reads 5.5Mb/s

Which ISP do you have? I assume you're still in the UK...

I'm with Pipex, temporarily, until I switch to plusnet next week.

/edit: yes, still in UK

I'm with Pipex, temporarily, until I switch to plusnet next week.

/edit: yes, still in UK

Oh right, all that up to 8mbit stuff, I guess it depends how far from the exchange you are as to what speeds you get?

i download with 150 kB/s internet and 10MB/s LAN ^^

LAN Speeds don't really matter. They're based purely on hardware.

I got a 270Mb/s LAN connection meaning I DL at 15Mb/s min. But it don't really matter.

Oh right, all that up to 8mbit stuff, I guess it depends how far from the exchange you are as to what speeds you get?

Yeh, i'm pretty close, the BT guy says I couldn't expect much better. But TBH, avertising 8Mbit when you get 4 is false avertising if you ask me.

Yeh, i'm pretty close, the BT guy says I couldn't expect much better. But TBH, avertising 8Mbit when you get 4 is false avertising if you ask me.

Heh, considering people with Be broadband at upto 24mbit have been getting similar speeds to you, you're not doing too badly. :) I've been on the same ISP since I first got broadband and that was 150kbit/s (yes, 0.15 mbit), calling that broadband was the real false advertising. :D

Well at least they advertised it that it was that speed.

Pipex say 8Mbit broadband, without the 'up to'.

Hell, they don't even state on their website (like most isp's do) that u can expect a minimum of 2Mbs with 78% of the country getting 4Mb+.

It seems Pipex ain't as bad as I thought. I'm clocking this on steam:

post-28-1186864411_thumbjpg

Well, my home connection sucks, I can push it to its end anytime with 1 user on DC who has some awesome connection.

Technically, almost anyone can tho Noctis, I remember one user who could of gave me an upstream of 12Mb/s, but my connection didn't allow it.

There's always someone faster :)

My fastest DL with my 24/1 line is 1.6Mb/s downstream and about 400 upstream on DC...

But this is not regular speeds, mostly I get 100kb/s, guess I find all the low speed sources

Heh, considering people with Be broadband at upto 24mbit have been getting similar speeds to you, you're not doing too badly. :lol: I've been on the same ISP since I first got broadband and that was 150kbit/s (yes, 0.15 mbit), calling that broadband was the real false advertising. :pinch:

i had the same connection for a very long period :) the only good thing in that was that connection wasn't an "up to xy kbps" connection, but a "you always get this"

now if i'm lucky ... i can get the download speed of 400-440 kb/s :) ... but during daytime .... back to the oldschool 150 kb/s :crying:

It depends on what i'm downloading through.

HTTP I can download at 5-600 all day.

But P2P is throttled to 20Kb/s for a large portion of day (hence why i'm moving provider).

On a 4mbit connection you won't get that. 480KB/s is the max, so a little below that. If you're on 5mbit then 600KB/s is max, which makes me wonder what Seeker's connection speed is sold as. If it's 6mbit @ 530KB/s it's not bad but a little lower than I'd expect.

Im on 5mbit (5megabits = 640kilobytes) i get only 530kbytes, so i guess thats bad.

4mbit = 512kbytes

5mbit = 640kbytes

6mbit = 768kbytes

Im on 5mbit (5megabits = 640kilobytes) i get only 530kbytes, so i guess thats bad.

4mbit = 512kbytes

5mbit = 640kbytes

6mbit = 768kbytes

Number of megabits times 120 is about the largest number of kilobytes I've seen out of (cable) connections. On 4mbit 480 is about the max I reach, 530kB/s on a 5mbit connection isn't too bad, but if it's cable then I would expect it a little higher.