Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
к¢kMåñ

Remote client does not fully support TTH - cannot download

38 posts in this topic

You know This argument has come up before. http://forums.apexdc.net/index.php?showtopic=957# and I made this argument and it's still valid here. You cannot continue support forever, and at some point you have to make the jump. Maybe currently there are some clients out there that are not compatible, however and I think the Apex Dev team will agree with me on this maybe, Apex is being built to last and not to mention it is for all intents and purposes still in beta. And by the time they hit Version, 1.0.0 The computing world will have changed again. Vista is coming out in Jan, and the majority of computer users will once again be upgrading just a little bit more, maybe not right to vista, but to new computers that can not only install Apex and run but can install other similar newer clients, which Apex will support. The old clients will die out, for all but a handful of users, I'm not saying that we should be at the same time punish these few users, but eventually even they will upgrade. How many of us get slightly annoyed when we download a 700mb file or bigger only to find out it was corrupted? With TTH we can avoid that, and personnally I believe it is the right decision to move away from these clients, and it had to start somewhere so why not here with one of the newest and better clients out there?

ok. guys. easy way as far as i can see.. is lets all revert back to windows 3.1 or DOS 2.3. NEITHER will run in a windows 2000 + enviroment. does this mean that MS is forcing u to update, yes. are they forcing their opinion on you, hell yes.. but as much as I hate MS.. even its OS has come a long way from dos 1.0. and yes. I actually remember it. hell I am even certified to support DOS 2.1. (circa 1990). There is more than one client in DC.. just like in OS' environments. If its not your " Cup of Tea" then choose another. in the world of DC.. its primarily the Clients who make DC evolve, not the hubsofts. ask PPK or Nev, Todi etc.. its the guys you are seeing in this thread that are taking time out of coding, to address your concerns, they are open to feedback from many.. as it helps them to make a better DC experience for each user. But in the end. its the "Author's" choice of what gets in and what doesn't. I don't like taxes, they go up every year, and they are forcing their opinion on me. yet not making MY life easier. at least these guys are doing that..

Hmm, I still support the opinion that we can have a tick box, enabling download from such clients. Since each user can run a secondary, old client, it's just dumb to "force :P" people spending more disk space.

And if there is so much concern about the corrupted files, why (I think BM) removed the "Check again TTH after download is finished"? I just had an issue with that, ran out of space on C: because of incomplete files, had to move the Temp folder and set new path in settings, and now I do not know whether the files are good. I admit to not be the best geek here, so probably I also helped for this s*rew up (mainly by forgetting Temp on C:), but IMHO there is a double standard here. And I will be really, really pissed off, annoyed and irritated (more synonyms wanted) if the 2.36GB file is corrupted. :)

Hmm, I still support the opinion that we can have a tick box, enabling download from such clients. Since each user can run a secondary, old client, it's just dumb to "force :)" people spending more disk space.

And if there is so much concern about the corrupted files, why (I think BM) removed the "Check again TTH after download is finished"? I just had an issue with that, ran out of space on C: because of incomplete files, had to move the Temp folder and set new path in settings, and now I do not know whether the files are good. I admit to not be the best geek here, so probably I also helped for this s*rew up (mainly by forgetting Temp on C:), but IMHO there is a double standard here. And I will be really, really pissed off, annoyed and irritated (more synonyms wanted) if the 2.36GB file is corrupted. :)

I removed "Check again TTH after download is finished" option because it's completely unuseful. Files can be corrupted only if your hardware is damaged or you corrupted them manually and it's not the role of DC client to check this. Imagine one situation I had in the past: StrongDC++ downloaded the file with correct TTH. Then my friend came to me with external IDE harddrive connected via reduction to USB. But after copying that file to this HDD, the file got corrupted (and TTH was changed). Should your DC client also count with this situation, because corrupted file was originally downloaded with your DC client? I don't think so. DC client should only ensure that it doesn't corrupt files itself or they haven't been corrupted during the way from remote DC client to your DC client :P

IMHO the DC++ client should do its best, and we don't loose anything from a second check, which can even be turned off. At least I beg you to publish some small utility for TTH check, you have the code...

there's TTH getting tool in the File menu, so everyone can compre the TTH. And you loose many things in a second check - from HDD abrasion to "time", which is the biggest reason of removing such unuseful check.

there's TTH getting tool in the File menu, so everyone can compre the TTH. And you loose many things in a second check - from HDD abrasion to "time", which is the biggest reason of removing such unuseful check.

OK, I am happy now, for TTH, please back on the actual topic, if smo still has smth to say.

Well i like the style of apex so i but i need to download from users that say dont fully support TTH because we have an FTP we call free and its like a local directory if you open it its like you open a folder on the pc and you can watch movies directly and even can share it but i cant download from the guy(ISP) that shared it in dc

these guys shouldn't be on DC network, because they supports spreading corrupted files. And we won't allow downloading from them.

@dikidera - You can ask your ISP to update to a newer DC client, hashing won't be a problem if they have a decent equipment, even if not, their 24/7 servers have the time needed.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0