verukins

New file notification

11 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I use apex dc++ in a "closed" community (so to speak) where it is a regular bunch of users sharing.

It would be extremely useful to us to have a feature where we could see what new file each user on the hub had either since last logon, or for example, new files on the hub in the last 2 weeks.

That would be done hubside not clientside. Also to it would have to be done with a bot or script that you manually added what files you have downloaded. This is about the only way I can see this being done at all. Even if it was possible via client it would be so resource heavy it would crash just from the memory usage.

Yeh, Mikey is right, the hub would need to do it, for the simply reason, if the client did it, it would make the client really hard on the hub and also high memory usage for the user.

This idea is already suggested and it is possible to be done on client, very easily. It would be very useful.

This idea is already suggested and it is possible to be done on client, very easily. It would be very useful.

Show me. I want to see this. It would take way to many resources for the client to store and hold this kind of information. Even if you did it via clientside LUA script (currently ApexDC does not have LUA script support) it's still not the actual client doing so. Even if it was done via LUA script in a client it would then still have to pull necessary data to make the list up which would then again cause major resource usage.

Edited by Mikey

Major, minor... can you (all) estimate smth, per given hub size?

I admit i dont know apex DC well, but on the resource usage....

if the client held the last downloaded file list from particular users, downloaded the new one when connecting to the hub (or at a set interval) and then compares it on the client side, i can see that the server would get hammered on a hub with 100 users, which each requested everyone elses list at the same time, but there are ways to mitigate this.

Such as? Dont say there are ways to mitigate it then not tell us how???

Secondly, what about on a hub with 15000 users?

ok, so each filelist is just an xml - i hope we all agree that comparing two XML's and picking out whats new is easy.

Surely it would be possible, to have an option on each user where-by you can right click ->"check for new files"

This process firstly renames the existing filelist for the user (eg user.old.xml.bz2) , downloads the new one, runs the compare function already included in the program and then either dynamically displays the differneces or creates a new filelist (eg user.diff.xml.bz2) and displys that

on a mass basis, there could be an option to download/check new files for all users on the hub - which could have a limit of hubs with 15 users (i assume the client software is aware of can be made aware of the number of users on a hub) or less. This would be perfect for a small "closed" community.

I undertsand the software is open source and therefore people could change this limit and recompile - and since no one place is specifically responible for hub software, its difficult to implement quickly, but it would still be possible to bar this feature from the server side

If its not possible to limit this effectively to small hubs, then simply dont implement the mass update and make it possible on a user by user basis only.

anyhoo - since there is cleary some negativity towards this, ill try writing it myself for use in our community.

ok, so each filelist is just an xml - i hope we all agree that comparing two XML's and picking out whats new is easy.

Surely it would be possible, to have an option on each user where-by you can right click ->"check for new files"

Something in the newer dc++'s might help with this. kind of.

Have a filelist open, and "subtract list" and point it at the old filelist, and it'll show you the new files.

But to have that automated for a hub full of people . . . . :rolleyes: