Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pedja

How to prevent sharing unpacked contents?

7 posts in this topic

This is not ApexDc++ related question, but I guess here are lots of people who meet the same problem. On my hub I have some users that do not share zipped data or disc images, but unpacked contents. I cannot find a way to prevent that and force them to pack data before sharing.

Is there a solution?

There is no simple solution... You cannot force people to do one thing or another...

Simply make it a condition of the Hub and get your Ops to enforce the Rules... Eventually they will comply or move on.

Its up to you to decide, is a tidy looking share, with zipped up content more important to you than a user count. If your hub is that good enough, people will comply.

Edited by Zebedee

I can just imagine an extracted game .iso - ewwww

If it were my hub, id kick people for that.

Make a rule for it, maybe create a text command that is sent to them on-join, explaining them why this is not good, and what should they do how should they share it... And yeah kick their rear if they have unwanted stuff in share. It's also a good thing to set your hub in a way where only registered users can download, and obviously their share needs to be checked before they get registered... Well they could still share UPS, but if they want to download they need to tidy their share. :)

...which lets me ask, why there is not an option in hubware like "Hie FL of the following profiles" or "Only show FL of these profiles"

I run local wireless community hub. We do not have rstrictive rules. Problem with unpacked contents just affects network performance, because one, instead fo downloading one archive, downloads lots of very short files.

We do have rules that state why sharing unpacked contents is bad, but I hoped there is a way to automate recognision of such contents.

Maybe something could be added to Apex to check downladed file lsits and let it warn if some folders contain statisticaly unwanted contents, i.e. large number of small files, or even predefined file names or file extensions. It would be at least easier to find out who breaks the rules.

The only thing you perhaps can do is with ADLSearch.

Where the condition is that the file can not be greater then a certain value. If it is greater, the user will be warned or kicked.

Or ask in an other forum (the one of Ptokax or YnHub) for a script that you will insert into your Hubsoftware!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0