Noctis

[Bug][0.3.0] Format bold, italics and underline in chat

6 posts in this topic

Greetings! What I am gonna post is hard to call "bug", but... I've been testing one of 0.3.0's new features, namely "# Feature: Format bold, italics and underline in chat (use *bold* /italics/ _underlined_)", and found a little error with it. When I use the appropriate characters such as * / _ what should make the text to become formatted, the text appears in main chat formatted, but the * / _ chars don't dissapear. So the text looks like as it should be (bold, italics, underlined), but the * / _ chars are also on the screen. Not much of a bug but thought this is worth posting... (sorry if not)

Regards,

Noctis

post-2481-1165324357_thumbjpg

I see what you mean, it was even discussed. Probably it can be made *Test* = Test and **Test** or * *Test* * = *Test* . And similarly for Italic and Underline.

But since our devs are very busy with many other features, it's not wise to give any terms for this...

I actually spent quite some time trying to get rid of those (so that there would be no new problems created), however I'm fine the way it is now as the idea of this function was to mimic the lua versions behavior and that's exactly what it does...

Conclusion: this is not a bug...

This is client specific, only Apex shows this - right?

why not make it as [bold]Some Text[/bold] or something similar, and add 3 more icons beside the emoticon icon to quickly access them, B I U - instead of writing them manually. in esence like any other IM application.

as this is only apex, there would be no confusion in any other clients, and many users while seeing this may even switch :)

if this was already sugested please spare me the flamming :)

why not make it as [bold]Some Text[/bold]

The problem i can see with this is that if a user dosn't have apex they will the tags which could get anoying. plus * / _ are the old school way of doing this formating (word perferct i think) so it is possibly more familure

edit and would probably make more sense as these are the bbcodes

Edited by balder

I think BBcode can take both forms [bold] = [/italic] = etc.

I believe it would be better, if it is possible. It only needs to be Apex end which would then send the correct character codes.

Slightly off topic, but relevent, is the annoying way emoticons and user name colours being rendered in mainchat. This makes it hard to read.

I get emoticons where they shouldn't be. Such as a double ? coming up as an icon. Shouldn't the codes for these have a space either side? This should stop this happening.

I've change colours for users in the user list. This works ok, but the colours also appear in mainchat if a users name appears as part of a word.

Again, as Noctis points out, it's not a real problem, and there are probably more pressing issues to be addressed.