Funkyfresh

[Support] V. Slow downloads?

9 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I am running 0.2.2 of Apex and am experiencing extremely slow downloads.

Virtually every source i get only downloads at less then 1k. Even file lists take 20 or more mins to come down.

This can be even for common files - never managed better than 5k/s?

I am running Windows server 2003 SP1, in “workstation” mode – ie not a DC and has all the server “extras” stripped out.

I use manual port forwarding on my router, so I am in active mode. – the checker confirms this is working correctly.

I have tried it on different internet connection, work and home. At work it’s a 2Mb ADSL connection through Pipex, completely unrestricted. I used to get high speed with multiple sources, typically 50-150 K/s.

I have tried different hubs, but there is no pattern, whether the hub has a large number of users or a few. The number of hubs seems to make no difference either, from 5 to 35 hubs there doesn’t seem to be difference? Even with the hubs recommended in the forums (DVD share, hydroponics etc) no joy

One thing I have noticed is that even if there a quite a few sources with free slots, the client won’t often connect to these users?

I have Peer Guardian and disabling that makes no difference?

Upload speeds are fine ( 10-25k)

I ahve attached screenshot...

Has anyone any thoughts?

Best regards,

Martin Porter

Sorry, I don't see the screenshot. But my first guess is that your home ISP is blocking your P2P traffic. Please enable "Send garbage on incoming connection to avoid ISP throttling", in File>>Settings>>Advanced, no. 9 and 10 counting down to up in the right pane.

If the problem still exists, let us know.

P. S.: We don't encourage downloading of copyrighted material. Please do it on your own responsibility and don't post here details about that. :)

Edited by Zlobomir

Thanks for prompt reply.

Ui already have these ticked?

Sorry about missing off screenshot. Should be attached now?

Its like everyone

post-2637-1161078004_thumb.jpg

More than likely your ISP.

Best way i heard of checking is to try a torrent with lots of seeders.

Check the speed you get when it's encrypted, and compare to how fast it runs when not encrypted. :)

I'm thinking that way too. It just seems strange that both my ISP's have suddenly started throttling me.

Anyway,

How do i connect securely? I believe i have to go into a secure hub?

Thanks

Just found out that my work ISP is now throttling p2p traffic, so i think problem solved - or at least i know why now.

i found this regarding ISP's who throttle, and for emule its suggested a version call NeoMule is used. Don

Just found out that my work ISP is now throttling p2p traffic, so i think problem solved - or at least i know why now.

i found this regarding ISP's who throttle, and for emule its suggested a version call NeoMule is used. Don

But still, if we present an ADC-ready client software, the hubs are more than likely to appear. :wacko: I know that there are lots of features waiting, but smo has to do the first step...

the first steps are already starting to happen. there are adcs hubs and all clients based on recent dc++ sorces support ssl. However, as has been discussed in other topics, the migration will take time. this is more to do with user education and user knowlege, not the technical abbility of software*. not many users know how to create there own pulic/private key pair, hell most win users wont even have openssl on there machine.

If users dont know how to configure this functionality how can one expect them to understand the anoying sutultees of trust relations. PKI is very complex and it will take a long time for the avarage user to be able to utilise the security and assurence it offers effectivly. hell we all know how difficult it is explaining port fowarding and this is a simple concept in comparison

* admitidly none of the major hub softs provide adc and therefore adcs (well last time i looked they didn't)