35 posts in this topic

This was previously created by Satan.

ApexDC++ and Dynamic IP's

1) Go to http://www.dyndns.org

2) Sign up for a free account

3) Go to My Services

4) Add host

5) Add Dynamic DNS Host

6) Enter a name for the host and pick an address (none are better than others really, altho I use dyndns.org)

7) Leave the IP address field as it is, Wildcards and mail exchanger are also unimportant (unless you feel you'll use them) as is backup MX

8) If you are on a router, enter these details into your router, alternatively download the DynDNS Client and use it.

9) Install the client and use the wizard to set it up (easy really - if you get stuck reply here and i'll let you know)

10) Finally put your host name into DC under the WANIP box in connection settings.

11) Check that you have "Don't allow hub/UPnP to override" Enabled

12) Check that you have "Auto-Update IP on startup" Disabled

I use dyndns. if i change my dns record, i.e. update my ip address. do i need to reconnect to all the hubs im in for it to take affect.

I use dyndns. if i change my dns record, i.e. update my ip address. do i need to reconnect to all the hubs im in for it to take affect.

I'd say it won't fully be in effect until you reconnect, but if you are not there when update happens, i'd say things would still work pretty much fine. Anyone can give a better answer, if they want to :blushing:

I'd say it won't fully be in effect until you reconnect, but if you are not there when update happens, i'd say things would still work pretty much fine. Anyone can give a better answer, if they want to :)

my expirence is that the if you update your dns settings you need to wait a minute before connecting (obviously, because of the propagation issues) but once you connect its fine. however (and when i first posted to this topic i wasn't having problems, those problems spyke ;)) but now my ip seems to be changing loads, nothing to do with dc. and it seems to be taking longer and longer for my DNS changes to propagate. Again nothing to do with DC.... what was my point

oh yer i didn't have on i wanted to ask a question :blushing: how can i tell if a hub is using the correct IP?

Edit: the spell checker in my browser could do with being improved ^_^

EDIT: if you don't reconnect the DNS change WONT take affect. .. a reconnect all would be a nice feature ;)

Edited by balder

EDIT: if you don't reconnect the DNS change WONT take affect. .. a reconnect all would be a nice feature :blushing:

based on my expirience they do, then again my ip changes about once per year (unless i manually change it) so my expiriences in this area are bit limited...

and reconnect all, and reconnect disconnected will most likely be in ;)

based on my expirience they do, then again my ip changes about once per year (unless i manually change it) so my expiriences in this area are bit limited...

may have been a bit of a bold statement but (my ip change three times today %&$*, thats another gripe) wheni updated my dns i still had hubs saying "you present .. ip but have .. ip message".

it looks like the hub resolves the dns entry when you first connect and the just uses that ip from then on. which makes total sense.

and reconnect all, and reconnect disconnected will most likely be in ;)

cool :blushing:

edit:just wanted to say you dont need to close the app for settings to take affect. just hit the reconnect button for the hub

Edited by balder

heh, I'm one of the lucky people who's IP never changes too. :blushing:

edit:just wanted to say you dont need to close the app for settings to take affect. just hit the reconnect button for the hub

Balder's right, you only need to reconnect to the hub. :)

Ok I have a problem, I followed all the steps, but my searches doesn't come up with anything. I can connect to servers, just not find anything.

Any suggestions?

I installed the client to :)

I wrote in the external/wanip my ....dyndns.org thats right right?

Greetings,

Baz

Has anyone recieved this error when using the fix described here? I get

Your direct connect client has supplied an invalid IP address in a connection request (client sent ****.kicks-ass.net, you have **.***.164.150)

I get this when trying to search in one of the hubs. It's strange because it doesn't happen in others.

Also, it continues to return the same error even after plugging in the proper IP.

All of my ports are forwarded properly.

Your local, LAN hub?

About the Reconnect all/disconnected feature - why not also an auto-trigger in settings "Reconnect to all/disconnected on each IP change"?

Edited by Zlobomir

why dont everyone just get a static ip, i have never been able to use the internet properly without a static ip ;)

Well, im happy to have a dynamic IP. ;)

Just need that requested IP updater and things couldnt be any better.

why dont everyone just get a static ip

not everyone has that option and even when they do they may not ba able to afford it

why dont everyone just get a static ip, i have never been able to use the internet properly without a static ip :)

:)

that was a fun post ;)

may have been a bit of a bold statement but (my ip change three times today %&$*, thats another gripe) wheni updated my dns i still had hubs saying "you present .. ip but have .. ip message".

it looks like the hub resolves the dns entry when you first connect and the just uses that ip from then on. which makes total sense.

Time to live (or time to cache) for DNS entries at DynDNS.org is 60 seconds for ordinary "dynamic" entry (other dynamic DNS services may have different time-to-live timeouts). So, if you reconnect to hub before its 60 seconds timeout for DNS record, it will have your old IP in cache and you will get disconnected.

(some badly configured hubs may have static DNS caches, or static TTL for cache records - the timeout on those hubs may vary)

So this is the only way to renew your IP?

Apex won't renew it by itself?

No plug-ins for this or anything similar?

sounds crazy but my apex-client updates the ip one time and that´s it. if my ip changes later apex is not able to resolve the proper ip from the hostname.

this is what i get: Your direct connect client has supplied an invalid IP address in a connection request (client sent xxxxxxxxx, you have xxxxxxx)

the first ip (client set..)is always the old one...ip does simply not update...

maybe anyone can help? i´m using no-ip at the moment and tried dyndns before but it also didn´t work.

thxxxalot

thxxx for your quick answer!

yes. tried with my router first; then switched to dyndns-client but didn´t work either. signed up at no-ip and used their client and it´s exactly the same thing, the address updates once a time and then never again and apex uses the old ip. of course i tried it with several reconnects and so on...do i have to open an extra port for the client or do i have to add a certain prefix before my hostname? ftp-server running perfectly on my system...but after some time it is not longer connectable by myself (except with internal lan ip)...but stays connectable for others! somewhere in the web tjis was called "loop-back-problem" or so...

of course i tried also different clients...but none worked (and they´re all ugly in comparison to apex *g)...it slowly gets kinda annoying...:)

thxxx again for your help!

greetz

Apex cannot update IP "on the fly". It does it only on startup and it is intended to be used when your IP changes only during reconnect (which most often is a reboot, hence restart of Apex).

thank you very much for your answer! this prevented more nervous breakdowns to come :)...so in fact there is possibility to have your ip updated once it has changed?

hmmm...i know i will be beaten for this question but: is there another dc-client that is capable to handle dynamic dns properly? although i´d like to use apex further on...

so far, thxxx for your help and have a nice day (night?)...

greetz

your dyndns address will need a prefix.

Something like

apexdc.dyndns.org

it will be whatever you signed up as your hostname when you created your account.

Also, it will update your ip on the fly when it has an application to allow you, or your router, which router are you using?