djbarney

Apex 1.0.0 b4 "bug"

8 posts in this topic

Hiya all, this "bug" has been annoying me for a while already, as im sure it was present in 0.4.0 as well. In this case it's about the automatic disconnect slow users function, when downloading files from multiple sources. This seems to be always happening, even though in the settings, i turned it off. The problem i have with this function is that it also deletes valuable sources, so from a file with 10 different sources, sometimes i have only 1 user left, as source, because the other 9 were too slow and got deleted as valid source. Now i was wondering, is there any way to prevent this from happening? Because in settings, the disconnecting slow users option is fully disabled.

Btw, a suggestion for a "fix" could be to just disconnect the slow user instead of deleting them as a source, that way the slot would get back to open for someone else (because it's slow and un-useful for me) and it'd still be a source for the file, if the other user might go offline or delete his file.

could you guys have a look at this?

/djbarney

it's not bug, but feature to avoid eating all slots in the network

i agree, and it's a good feature too, but, my problem is with the settings of it, it just doesnt seem logical that i get an option to disable it in the settings, it kinda ignores that setting and still disconnects and removes the sources. it seems like the function actually bypasses the setting. If that's how it's supposed to be working, i'm sorry for bothering you with my "bug"report, then it's just me miss-understanding how it works =)

/djbarney

it just doesnt seem logical that i get an option to disable it in the settings, it kinda ignores that setting and still disconnects and removes the sources.

why it's not logical?

if there had been an option to disable it, then everyone could disable it and it would eat too much slots, then this feature wouldn't have a sense. So it's logical that it can't be disabled.

If so, why is there a "fake" option in Settings?

I experience this sometimes too, but you can re-add sources in the Download Queue (right click on file > Readd source), and it's possible that you'll get a better speed eventually.

exactly zlobomir, that was what i was wondering about, plus, whatever i put the settings on, it seems to ignore the settings i set, it removes sources going 2kb/sec but also sources going 7kb/sec and no matter how i put the settings, i cant make it stop removing the sources. Dont get me wrong, the function works good, and im all for anti-leech etc, but the way it just deletes the sources for a file, while there is a given option to "remove sources from queue if speed is below XX" <-- in my logics, that function would be bypassed if i'd put 0, because there's no lower speed then 0.. also, big muscle is right about that there's no real "disable" function, it's more like, there's an enable function.. which with my logics would mean that if it's not enabled, it's disabled..

and on top of that, there is a real disable function (that also doesnt work) and it's called: "disconnect download if speed is below XX" and behind that there's: (0 = disable) <- i'd think putting a 0 in the settings there, would just stop the client from disconnecting sources..

i'm sorry if im making a fuzz out of nothing, but it just seems unlogical to make a tab in settings where apperantly you can disable or set some settings in regards to the disconnecting of slow sources and the removal of those sources, while actually these settings seem to have been completely bypassed.

to noctis, yes that's kinda what i have to do, since the client keeps removing my sources, but it's a bit tiring to keep doing that, because i think the setting that could "do that for me" should work.

again, if it's me not understanding the settings and how to apply them or how to use / interpret them, it's my bad and then this topic could get canned ;)

/djbarney

btw guys: very nice job on b4, really works like a charm still =) ;)

I agree,

it is a bug!. It completely ignores slow download disconnecting setting! I have a big problem with that because I have to read sources manualy very often. Very bad when downloading a lot of medium sizes files, you have to click and "read sources" on each file . . .

Look at this! - SDD set to 1kb/s

apexbug.jpg

GK