Pate

Global hotkeys

11 posts in this topic

Hello, I am new to the boards. :stuart:

I am not sure is this suggested/implemented already..

To the topic:

Many of us probably play alot online games. The thing i've been missing alot is hotkeys. Especially hotkeys for download and upload limiting.

Nothing is more irritaring that when you need to wait for your downloads to finish before you can play. Well, of course you can manually put the limit, but usually I forgot to remove the limitation after I return from game.

I wish there was a setting for manually set your custom hotkeys to change bandwidth limitations. And another cool thing would be something like voice wich would say "Download limit decreased", "Upload limit increased" and such, and this could be optional of course.

Or then, set defined limitations when some particular executable is ran. Or then set the limitation when some full-screen executable is ran.

Anyone with me? :)

E: Hmm, topic is a bit misleading, but don't let it harrash. ;)

What about some space in settings like:

App-------Set Up Lim-----Set Down Lim----- (Units drop-down for KB, B, etc.)

A ----------20--------------- 40

B -----------50--------------- 20

C -----------60--------------- 30

D -----------10--------------- 10

When 2+ simultaneously, use (dot) Higher, (dot) Sum values

This in addition to global hot keys. :stuart:

I am pretty sure it is difficult, but isn't it nice?

For online games best solution is automatic speed limitation.

DC will monitoring processes and, if found one of predefined, will automatically decrease speed. After closing this process -- limitation must restore to normal.

Lain_13. What you have descriped is QoS. This is not something which should be imlpmented into a file sharing app. It would be like asking for a firewall. I have had a quick look around and there dosn't seem to be many software solutions you can try here but i dont vouch for them in any way. this is genrally something that is implmented into your hardware firewall or router. I am just about to leave work so i havn't had time to read this. However it looks like microsoft are implmenting better qos support into vista.

I say about really simple procedure... not QoS. QoS -- reserving part of channel for some programs (and dynamically change this part). But I don't see any game, what use QoS.

I say about... remember how you setup FireWall for blocking\allowing access to network for programs. You select executable file of the program and when firewall see what this program executed and try access network -- they give\block access to network for this program (I know, what firewalls doing this in more complex way, but we need to know only this).

In DC in config on special page user add to list path and name of executable files which DC must monitor.

If one of this files started (or trying access network) -- DC instantly enable "limited" mode. Constantly limited, not dynamic. Like click on "Limit speed" button on toolbar but automatically and with another limits (specified on page with list of programf to minitor).

When program closed (and only after this) DC remove limitation.

I'm don't say about monitoring network activity of program. Program started -- limitation enabled. Program stopped -- limitation disabled. Not QoS.

Also auto-limiting mode need for decreasing use of CPU when user start some program which need all power of CPU (...yes, it's games).

Ok basicly what you have described is QoS but only local to your game. QoS = Quality of service. You are describing implmenting something in apex which allows you to maintain the quality of your gaminig services. However i dont want to argue over symantics and what you have describede is much more simple then what a classic QoS service/application would do. With this said my original point was that i dont belive apex is the correct application to do this. this is a feture for your operating system enviroment (or at the very least the specific game) and would be better placed in a seperat application or better still as a service of the operating system.

For automation via hot-keys I use AutoHotKey (freeware) which comes with a nice macro recorder (so you don't have to learn its great scripting language :) ). You record your mouseclicks and keyboard typing, while setting lower limits, then save the script as "ApexDC_lower_limits.ahk" somewhere, create link to this file on desktop and add a keyboard shortcut to this file in its shortcut properties (you can add the keyboard shortcuts directly to AHK, check the help).

Follow the same procedure to create shotrcut for "normal limits" (don't forget to add commands to winamp to play the "Download limit decreased" :) ) and you have just achieved your holy grail. :)

for traffic limitation while the game is running .... have you tried cFos (if you have a router: cFosSpeed) .... it's a small program I use, not eating up all my resources (actually almost nothing) and "shapes" the traffic .... with win xp and vista you can set which application should have higher priority and which should have lower ... for example I set DC++ to have lower, MSN to have higher, and browser to have high --> even when dc++ is running and could run with even taking all upload and download bandwidth, this software lets other applications to use the connection ---> web pages won't be slower, but dc++ download/upload will be slower while downloading the actual webpage ... when finished downloading it dc++ gets the whole connection speed again.

it is not banned on hubs (or at least in hungary) as it doesn't really limit the connection speed, but "shapes" it :)

try if you haven't found any better yet