Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TYRRAM

Expert Needed

23 posts in this topic

my downloads and uploads start out fine then they progressivly slow down then disappear then they come back slow down and disappear. My ISP has assured me 3 times they are not throttling me. I've opened all my ports to 22579 on the advice from someone on Apex tech support hub, I'm in active mode, I've opened an extra port in my firewall for apex actually 2 one at 22579 and another at some other equally high number, turning off my firewall doesnt do anuthing, I've checked off the 2 settings in advanced to send garbage, I have peergaurdian 2 and nod 32 running in the backround. Nothing seems to work someone pls help me !!! I dont use router im on cable modem and for 3 years direct connect has worked fine i cant figure out what is wrong ?? any help would be much appriciated.

Firstly, I've moved this into the Support forum, which exists for threads such as this, and I've changed the title a bit too.

Now, onto your problem. To be honest I can't think of that much which would cause it, I personally would use seperate ports foor TCP and UDP in Apex, but I don't think that's the problem here. I doubt Peerguardian would be having this effect. Assuming you've done everything which you stated I can't think of much which caused it. Not sharing from an external harddrive or anything? Harddrive isn;t making weird clicking noise? ...if it's not a harddrive related thing, and you've done all you stated and this isn't just the people you connected to causing this... then I'm not sure what else it could be. (THe harddrive things does seem unlikely... but possible.)

my downloads and uploads start out fine then they progressivly slow down then disappear then they come back slow down and disappear. My ISP has assured me 3 times they are not throttling me. I've opened all my ports to 22579 on the advice from someone on Apex tech support hub, I'm in active mode, I've opened an extra port in my firewall for apex actually 2 one at 22579 and another at some other equally high number, turning off my firewall doesnt do anuthing, I've checked off the 2 settings in advanced to send garbage, I have peergaurdian 2 and nod 32 running in the backround. Nothing seems to work someone pls help me !!! I dont use router im on cable modem and for 3 years direct connect has worked fine i cant figure out what is wrong ?? any help would be much appriciated.

Now I'm assuming this is happening on every hub you connect to correct? Try connecting randomly to some new hubs, it is possible it's hub side to my knowledge. Espeacially if the person your downloading from is a greater distance then normal from you. What kind of hubs are you connecting to etc? How long have you been connected to those hubs? it just helps us guage if it's hub side or client side :)

Now I'm assuming this is happening on every hub you connect to correct? Try connecting randomly to some new hubs, it is possible it's hub side to my knowledge. Espeacially if the person your downloading from is a greater distance then normal from you. What kind of hubs are you connecting to etc? How long have you been connected to those hubs? it just helps us guage if it's hub side or client side :)

I'm usually on the same hubs all the time the top 4 or 5 biggest 1 or 2 medium sized and 1 or 2 small specialty hubs for documentaries and such. Anywhere from 8 to 12 hubs but mostly cycle through the same 12. I have mostly the same problems on all of them. I'm in eastern canada and most of the hubs I'm on are Europian and American. I'm now having new problems. When I write anything in main chat on most hubs there is a lag sometimes as long as 60 sec. My download speeds are mostly ok but I have to stay on top of them always searching for alternatives and forcing attempts etc, etc. If I go to bed or leave the computer I end up getting next to nothing downloaded. It seems that the client is'nt auto searching for TTH alternatives, so I've changed the time to every 5 minutes but somehow I doupt that will help. As I've said my download speeds are ok but my uploads are impossibly low and totally unreliable there is no piont in uploading from me because no one can get anything its down as low as B/S and disconnects users all the time I've been told that users can't even get my filelists half the time. In advanced settings I have send garbage marked for incoming and my downloads are fine i dont have it marked for outgoing and my uploads are terrible so this leads me to believe its throttling but my isp has asured me they are not throttling but perhaps the throttling is happening on the other end this is what my isp suspects. It's all very frusterating and I wish someone had an answer.

What about checking "Send garbage on outgoing connections"?

What about checking "Send garbage on outgoing connections"?

Judging by what he said in the original post:

"I've checked off the 2 settings in advanced to send garbage"

I think he's done this. :)

...In advanced settings I have send garbage marked for incoming and my downloads are fine i dont have it marked for outgoing and my uploads are terrible so this leads me to believe its throttling but my isp has asured me they are not throttling but perhaps the throttling is happening on the other end this is what my isp suspects. It's all very frusterating and I wish someone had an answer.

Just this in his last post...

Just this in his last post...

My mistake. :) If sending garbage works, then you may as well use it, whether or not your ISP is throttling your connection, you can't really complain based on the fact that your DC slows are slow/wavering. :)

I agree. this topic was recently brought up. I suggested that he check BOTH.. if its working well on one section. why not add it in both. I suggest everyone to use it if they notice speed issues. Also, if you still have problems. I have seen many ppl have a problem when using 5 digit ports. I can not explain why.. except that windows handles those sockets slightly different than most 4 digit ports. If you know who told you to use a 5 digit port please let me know, in the support hub. As I instruct all the team members to advise using a 4 digit port. one less problem to resolve in the future. Hope it helps .let us know please

truth be told I've had to resort to using a different client. I'm still commited to using apex if I can get it to work for me and i hope this doesnt disallow me from posting here because if i cant post here I wont be able find an answer to the problem and wont be able to go back to apex. Ive tried everything to fix this problem the client I'm using now only has one setting for sending garbage and its on the incoming so my downloads are fine now but my uploads are terrible. I've gone to my isp and exchanged my modem for a new one, Ive done several adware, antivirus, malware scans with sevral different programs just in case, I've checked my RAM and my processor, my speed test is 400 kb/s, My isp has given me several assurances they are not throttling. I tried going back to apex 0.2.0 then on to zion blue, then to apex 0.4.0 then to zion++ 2.16 green and was finally able to get my downloads working ok but my uploads start out ok then steadily decrease then disappear. Now this means it is not just the client thats the problem it coild however be the ports. If someone could give me a difinitive number to put in the ports that would be great, but as it is right now i get a different number off of everyone i talk to. I got the 5 digit numbers from someone on both techgeeks and some other hub which will remain nameless they said the number should be higher than 20000. Anyway im going to go back to apex 0.2.0 and try again perhaps I've missed something. hashing my share for all these clients is getting a little annoying.

I really must reiterate that I've tried checking off both send garbage on incoming and outgoing connections. my original problem was with apex 0.4.0 wavering speeds that slowed and disconnected on both uploads and downloads WITH BOTH those settings checked. The fact that I'm using a different client and having ok downloads doesnt fix the original problem. Sorry for the confusion there.

I am not sure exactly what the problem is. however, if you rejoin TechGeeks and attempt to contact me, I will be glad to help. My times are sporatic at the moment. but evenings CST (GMT+6) is usually best time to catch me..

And I dig out an article, explaining that P2P is best over port 10000. :whistling: Must be here, but can't find in which topic I have posted the link. If we had "Only posts with links" in Search...

Z... I saw it before but noticed too many problems. I agree MOST P2P softwares, kazaa, emule, shareaza etc.. work better on 5 digit ports. but seems to create just plain weird problems when forwarding 5 digit ports.. alteast for the troubleshooting I have done.. but thats me and my support. If it works for you, and yours, Great.. by all means run with it. just from personal experience. thats all ..but if you find that link. Please do send it to me

ok well I'm back to using apex and I'm still having similar problems. My downloads are bearly ok I left it running last night with 10 or 12 downloads going and when I got up I only had 2 finished which is terrible comparred to what I used to get it would be easy for me to get 5 or 6 movies overnight no problem. I'm not nieve I understand the dc is unreliable some times due to many variables in connections, speeds, etc, etc. but going for 2 days with several segments on each download with about 10 downloads and only actually getting 2 finished in 2 days is really bad. My uploads are absolutly terrible I feel sorry for the people attempting to download from me they start out at 2 or 4 kb/s then slowdown until 0 b/s then disconnects altogether. Sometimes they slow from 120 kb/s to 0 b/s. I will try to get in touch with sidetrack on techgeeks tonight but I am losing hope that this problem will ever be fixed. Surely there must be someone somewhere who knows whats wrong ? I just left apex on the setting it was on when I down loaded it from sourceforge it was on firewall the third option down from direct connect and I dont remember the port numbers that were in there, and my settings in uploads are now and always have been on direct connect. Thats another thing I dont understand I've always just used direct connect setting in both and never had any problems so what has changed ? now everyone is going on about ports and sending garbage on outgoing and incoming lines ? in 3 years of dc use I've never had to deal with any of this. So I'm wondering what change could have occured recently to have caused all these complications ? If i could find the answer to what has changed perhaps I could go back and rectify whatever it is. I have started using a different computer about 3 months ago but this problem only began abot 2 weeks ago so I dont think it would be that ? PLS HELP ME !!! I'M GOIN INSANE !!! :whistling: :)

Z... I saw it before but noticed too many problems. I agree MOST P2P softwares, kazaa, emule, shareaza etc.. work better on 5 digit ports. but seems to create just plain weird problems when forwarding 5 digit ports.. alteast for the troubleshooting I have done.. but thats me and my support. If it works for you, and yours, Great.. by all means run with it. just from personal experience. thats all ..but if you find that link. Please do send it to me

ok EXACTLY what numbers do YOU put in the ports pls give me the exact numbers for each space for ports. thx

ok EXACTLY what numbers do YOU put in the ports pls give me the exact numbers for each space for ports. thx

I personally put 22468 (twenty-two thousands four hundreds sixty eight) in all the three boxes. And Apex is running OK. AFAIR I am the guy from TGO, who advised you to use 22579, it is ~ close. Please let us know then, are there any significant changes in your PC about the time the problem appeared? Any new hardware or software? I am ready to assist via VNC, if it is OK with you.

personnally I use 15000 in all three slots

I just sue whatever random numbers I press when settings up port forwarding. Generably I'd just advice people to use a random port, but not too high a number (>1000 though).

Here it is: http://www.muq.org/~cynbe/muq/mufref_564.html

So I'm at work again and I'm bored so I figured I would keep everyone updated on "The Problem" as I am now calling it. Just for further reference if anyone comes across this problem with anyone else its most likely thier firwall. Last night sidetrack and I worked at it and we narrowed it down to the firewall. Something I should have been able to figure out on my own, but anyway thats ok. We also set my ports to 1112, 1113 & 1114 disabled windows firewall and got my ups and downs stable then we turned it back on and it was all messed up again. So it was suggested that I use an older firewall and permanently disable windows which I did. But when I dled and setup the new firewall the problem began again. By this time I think sidetrack went to bed and I was exhausted and did the same. I got up this morning and all was well except my ups, there was 1 file that had been there all night and was only 15% uploaded. Perhaps I need a different # in ports for that particular firewall. I did however have a power failure this morning and when i restarted I had to allow dc this morning so that may have fixed the problem I cant remember for sure if I allowed it last night or not. Anyway long story short it's the firewall thats causing the problem and I hope to rectify the issue tonight. Some people may be wondering why I would care if my downloads are fine ? well its because I believe dc is about giving as much as it about getting. I will keep everyone posted about "The problem" so if it happens again with anyone else we will know what to tell them.

Oh, I firstly assumed the firewall has received the care needed... I have also noticed several times how "nasty" Win XP firewall behaves, esp. when Apex is allowed as *.exe (w/o ports), after updating Apex, the XP firewall, neither asks again, neither allows the new Apex version for quite a long time, if asks at all. At least this is my impression...

There's another topic from you talking about the same subject :)

Please visit it here: Topic

//Keine

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0