Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kulmegil

Leave messages for your Favorite Users!

11 posts in this topic

I think topic title is pretty self-explaining.*

Makes even more sense on ADC when favorite user is not bounded to hub anymore like it's done now. And not all hubs has offline messaging functions/plugin.

* In case if it's not: You type a message in Favorite Users manager and message is send as soon as user becomes online. Message can be send directly if user is online already in any hub - this could be useful also in case if You want to find favorite user fast in a bunch of opened hubs (ADC).

Extra req:

Please add some additional fields (columns) like properities for favorite users. This will be useful for stroing additional information about them, and each column is sortable. One field is not enough sometimes.

Hmm... interesting idea. Offline messageing would be nice, espeacially for OP's I don't know how many times I come online and I have tech questions or something and the person has gone off line, off line messaging would make this much easier as I could just answer it. Personnally i'd like to see it so that you could do it to any user, though I think that this would not be easy to do. It'd be easy if you constrained it to a single hub, so that you don't have any overlapping user names, but to send it to multiple hubs if there online in others... I dunno if that's as resource efficient enough. Too many variables to ensure that it is infact the same user. Especially since unbinding the favourite users from a hub I think would require quite a major rewrite in Apex code from what I've seen of it so far. However say sending it to a user in a hub... it shouldn't be too hard to write a plug in to keep track of it I think. Overall again I like this idea.

Hmm... interesting idea. Offline messageing would be nice, espeacially for OP's I don't know how many times I come online and I have tech questions or something and the person has gone off line, off line messaging would make this much easier as I could just answer it. Personnally i'd like to see it so that you could do it to any user, though I think that this would not be easy to do. It'd be easy if you constrained it to a single hub, so that you don't have any overlapping user names, but to send it to multiple hubs if there online in others... I dunno if that's as resource efficient enough. Too many variables to ensure that it is infact the same user. Especially since unbinding the favourite users from a hub I think would require quite a major rewrite in Apex code from what I've seen of it so far. However say sending it to a user in a hub... it shouldn't be too hard to write a plug in to keep track of it I think. Overall again I like this idea.

This has been discussed and it's something that needs to be done by the hubsoft in order to function correctly :)

This has been discussed and it's something that needs to be done by the hubsoft in order to function correctly :)

What sort of things? I have access to at least ptokax software myself and I have YN as well so I could always try looking into it, also there's a few of us who are going to design our own hub server software so any insight in what needs to be done would be cool because we'd like to have that option.

I wrote of Favorite Users because I usually leave messages for them and it would be easiest to implement because favorite users manager already has GUI + favorite users are recognised by CID (and I expect it to work CID based).

As for the OPs I have some idea for special op messanger, but since ApexDC++ OP hasn't even reached it's first release it's far to early to mention.

Maybe I'm not a dev but I don't buy it. I expect it would rather be quite easy to implement.

Maybe I'm not a dev but I don't buy it. I expect it would rather be quite easy to implement.

Then tell me how can your client process an offline message to user X, when he/she comes online, if you are not online yourself :)

Answer, there is no way to do that, w/o hubsoft's help...

And doing it the "improper" way (ie. ignoring scenario above), is just not worth it, because not everyone keeps their pc nor dc on 24/7.

Ummm... Did I say it should work when I'm offline? I wanted just simply messaging addon so it would send message if I'm away or unaware of user joining presence - but online.

As for 100% offline messaging it would be nice but needed hub support (some standardizations would be necessery). But small problems arise here: You would have to leave msg on all hubs connected to since in ADC user is not bounded to hub anymore. Some hubs won't like it and disable. Some UID for messages so You wont get multiple copies of same message from different hubs when joining... and so on.

Then tell me how can your client process an offline message to user X, when he/she comes online, if you are not online yourself :)

And doing it the "improper" way (ie. ignoring scenario above), is just not worth it, because not everyone keeps their pc nor dc on 24/7.

A simple way I see is seamless communication with an Apex-dedicated server, smth like "ICQ in Apex". The two major disadvantages:

1. Will work only Apex-Apex (a good way to win more happy users :D )

2. Don't have the slightest idea what hardware/network and/or financial resources it may require. I am able to provide some server with 100K most of the time, so we can test this at least, if you explain me VERY well what to configure. Or, I may let smo to do it with VNC. I am sure that Sidetrack will be also glad to help (we may do things with 2+ servers, for more reliability?) If it works, we could think of some more stable host.

Sorry if too stupid. :)

Then tell me how can your client process an offline message to user X, when he/she comes online, if you are not online yourself smile.gif

What about "passing notes" to other ApexDC++ users ? Let's say Apex creates a 10 MB file 'UserMessages.dat' in the Settings folder. Or ".xml" ... whatever. In every major hub there are a few people that use Apex, so if I were to leave a message to someone, then the message would be stored on someone else's computer.

When the user I've sent the message enters the hub (or any hub that the 'carrier' is in >>> plus the user's IP so it doesn't end up to the wrong nick because of a stupid coincidence; do you have any ideea how many "spider-man" nicks are there ? :)) But if I was online and the user I've sent the message enters the hub (or a hub in my 'Favorite Hubs' list), then Apex sends it automaticly without the need of a 'middle man'.

The message should be no more then 2 lines and/or 100 characters. 10 MB are enough for several people. And if the user doesn't get the message in 24 hours, the message gets deleted automaticly.

I think it's a nice ideea but kinda risky since there are hubs that allow ony certain tags, so Apex would not be identified. Users can also lie about their tags by that "Emulate DC++" check box... So it's not a flawless ideea. But it's just crazy enough to work ! :D

I really think that just online messaging system is easy enough to get implemented in this century :)

but, in case someone has the time to prove me wrong, here is how I see this:

(it's close to Ð.Sp!dér idea, meaning it's hub independent)

An offline message is sent to Your favorite users (and saved by Your client also). Those, who also have You as favorite user and their client support offline messaging, will save the message. Yes, this will make offline messaging very limited at the beginning, but as it's popularity grow, and implemented in more clients it will work fine. And this should be really necessary to keep all kind of flooders, spammers and other trash away from exploiting this feature.

All messages should contain, except message itself:

receiver CID - to get the message exactly to the target person (no need to pass nick)

sender CID - Your CID so reciver will know that it was You who sent it

sender nick - well nicks are recognized by humans instead of CIDs so this might be needed also (maybe instead of sender CID?)

expiration date - time after message is discarded if not deliverd (in days, optional*)

data sent - date message was created

Just in case if it gets to easy:

Clients should recognize same messages passed from multiple favorite users so either by existing variables (text, sender CID, ect) or by addidional message UID. Filtering multiple copies and showing message in separate window (as if it was sent from You on PM). Recivers who don't support messaging system will get multiple copies and as PMs from favorite users passing message.

Maybe offline messages should be passed only to X favorite users or should be passed directly between clients (ADC) to avoid to much hub spamming...

* clients will discard undelivered messages after some max. period of time anyway

Maybe sender nick is not required to be included, since the receiver's client should disclose the nick, the client has already nick and user CID and may connect them.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0