Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
indy

[Bug?][0.2.2] Network Drives

7 posts in this topic

I have two computers: desktop and file server. The desktop connects to the internet while the file server connects to a second NIC on the desktop with a crossover. I mapped several network drives from my desktop to the file server.

I shared the mapped drives with Apex, which I installed onto the desktop.

After I boot both computers and login the file server from the desktop, I run Apex. I have 0 B of shares coming from the network drives.

If I goto File > Settings > Sharing Tab, then one network drive shows up. I close the settings window. I view all of the network drives through Windows Explorer. I view the Sharing Tab again, I see the network drives. I re-add the drives, and they are shared.

When I login, I click one of the network drives (hence one network drive shows up in the listing). Is there another way that would allow Apex to see all of the network drives without this long "hack?"

I don't know the mechanism that Apex uses to handle network drives. After I login, other applications such as Winamp work file with the network drives (even if I don't view them with Explorer).

Hmm, except that you have particular reasons to have the drives on the desktop (fast connection between HDDs), I would suggest to move the HDDs to the server and run Apex on the server, Internet connected to the server, Desktop connected to the server via second NIC with the crossover cable (i. e. move/add one NIC to the server). A router may also come handy. In this way you can leave the server 24/7 if you like, and still have access to all the content from both PCs.

Anyway, on your question in the current case:

1. Are the mapped drives connected at Windows logon?

2. Do you turn on the Desktop before the file server and wait until the Desktop has started the Win services?

I remember we have several users here who are using mapped drives, and there are no issues.

Advice: It may be good to set your hashing speed somewhere below your LAN speed.

Edited by Zlobomir

one of the biggest problems I have had on xp pro was the mapped drives.. if you do NOT connect to the drive first. then it doesnt auto connect. but if I open the mapped drive, then close it. it is perm connected till next time I reboot comp.. hope that helps..

There are 16+ drives between the two computers. Moving hard drives between the two is physically impossible.

1. The drives are mapped at login. Windows Explorer sees the drive. After I login, other applications such as Winamp, Notepad, etc.. view, play, and edit files on the mapped drives without problem.

2. Desktop is turned on after the server.

After I login, Apex's sharing drive listing does not show the mapped drives. Any other program using Windows' Open/Save File dialogs see the mapped drives.

The drives show up after I view all of the mapped drives in Windows Explorer.

This confirms Sidey's words. But interesting whether Apex is relying on Win Explorer for information about the drives... However your config seems very strange for me. If you do not require much power from your Desktop (if you aren't a graphical designer or gamer :) ), just swap the PCs. The server should be primary connected to the internet, the server should hold most of the storage. :)

But if you like to keep the current config, what I would try:

1. Please see once more the option shown in the attachment below. It should be checked.

2. Please reverse the order in which you turn on the PCs - the PC with the many HDDs IMHO should be started first (and given enough time to load all services)

And the simplest lamerish way is to run Apex on the desktop. :stuart:

-Off 16+ HDDs - nice Desktop :) :thumbsup: :)B);) :w00t: Off-

post-65-1160659845_thumbjpg

if this helps.. not sure. I moved my servers to win2k3, and now I dont have this problem.. works every time.. my personal machine is on xp pro.. but all servers are on win2k3

Please reverse the order in which you turn on the PCs - the PC with the many HDDs IMHO should be started first (and given enough time to load all services)

this is correct. if the machine with the storage is not on or the file sharing service has not started by the time you switch on the a machine which is sharing drives. the drives will not become mapped untill you attempt to access them. you shoud do as above and make sure the persisten flag has been enabled. this way when you switch on your machine it will atempt to acctully cnonect to the share. if the file server isn't sharing it will incicate that the shar is not mapped.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0