Followers 0
Lee

Improved Slot System

11 posts in this topic

Old System

User A - Person ready to upload the 2GB file and 5MB music files

User B - Wants to download 2GB file and started it before User C

User C - Wants to download a set of 5MB music files

So, how annoying is that? I was User A and realised this must be frustrating for User C since he was waiting 12 hours before eventually receiving a slot for the music.

New System

Same situation and files as above.

User A - Has enabled 'auto-grant user downloading file below 10MB', or allowed one slot for files below 10MB (small file queue)

User B - Downloading 2Gb file, losing some speed because User C has started

User C - Downloading 5MB music files via User A's small file queue system

Later on this situation, User C will finish his files within say, an hour and User B is still downloading the file. Both users are happy because they have a slot, rather than User C waiting until the 2GB file is complete.

It depends how we implement this system and how customisable it is. For example, do we have small file slots ontop of regular slots?

Option 1: x small upload slots for files below x MB (x being customisable)

Option 2: 1 small upload slot for files below 10MB (simple)

Option 3: Auto-grant user slot when requesting to download file below 10MB/xMB (only one granted slot available -no more slots granted after one used)

Add your comments below.

option 1 sounds great thpugh maybe do it like this:

Option 1: x small upload slots for files below x MB if they match user suplied filter of file names extensions etc. (x being customisable, and filter being optional)

what do you think?

ps. why is this topic hidden?

Because the small upload slots (basically for filelists) already does this feature... but only for files below 100KB. We need to somehow change this to only apply to filelists and not allow them to change the max file size. The ability to change the size should be moved to the small lots instead, and put at 5MB default.

So we have a regular slot, filelist slot, small files slot... all of them being configurable.. I'd say these are defaults:

Regular: 2 slots

Filelist: 3 slots

Small: 1 slot

Because the small upload slots (basically for filelists) already does this feature... but only for files below 100KB. We need to somehow change this to only apply to filelists and not allow them to change the max file size. The ability to change the size should be moved to the small lots instead, and put at 5MB default.

So we have a regular slot, filelist slot, small files slot... all of them being configurable.. I'd say these are defaults:

Regular: 2 slots

Filelist: 3 slots

Small: 1 slot

ok, but easiest way to do this is, not to have separate small slots but just to allow current small upload slots to upload only filelists, and then just juse slot granting system with these new small slots.... could you follow?

ok, but easiest way to do this is, not to have separate small slots but just to allow current small upload slots to upload only filelists, and then just juse slot granting system with these new small slots.... could you follow?

slot granting system? You'd have to set it so it only auto - grants x number of slots to files under x MB

slot granting system? You'd have to set it so it only auto - grants x number of slots to files under x MB

i know and that was the plan all along :mellow:

Well, Iknow we didn't went too far before using my logic, but I see it like this:

a) x small upload slots for files below x MB (x being customizable)

:mellow: automatic slot granting system

And the user to be able to choose which one to use... It's just because I would like to see an innovative, powerful, and highly customizable new client. :mellow:

Both do the same job though Zlobomir, it's just two different ways of performing the task.

Well, Iknow we didn't went too far before using my logic, but I see it like this:

a) x small upload slots for files below x MB (x being customizable)

:unsure: automatic slot granting system

And the user to be able to choose which one to use... It's just because I would like to see an innovative, powerful, and highly customizable new client. :blink:

Both do the same job though Zlobomir, it's just two different ways of performing the task.

No, I think the b*) mode could easily eat up all your bandwidth (not a problem for all though)

And the a) option gives more freedom.

It's like the professional cameras with manual focussing and the simpler ones, with auto-focus. :)

How about a possibility to set additional slots for files in certain directory, for example "shared\new" ?

Kulmegil: We'll work the slot improvement side first, and then maybe introduce your feature at a later stage. Please remind me if it's not in 1.0 Beta..

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0