Lee

Next Generation Video iPod?

9 posts in this topic

This video iPod, which has been in development and on the table since before Apple released the 5G iPod last year with video playback, will feature a display that will occupy the entire front face of the device. Sources who have seen the device report that it features a digital click wheel, one that overlays the touch-sensitive display and appears when a finger touches it and disappears when the finger is removed.

Apple has been working with at least two other companies to perfect the digital click wheel display technology. While not all the engineering was completed in-house by Apple, sources have said Apple could hold an exclusive license on the technologies it borrowed from other developers for a period of time, limiting the ability of competitors to copy Apple's design.

Additional details concerning the new iPod have yet to be confirmed, including capacity and a release date, although all indications point to the Spring, possibly as early as late March or early April. During the Macworld Expo in San Francisco, Apple CEO Steve Jobs alluded to a major announcement on or around April 1, Apple's 30th anniversary as a company.

Like previous iPods, sources insist that this video iPod will lack any sort of wireless connectivity, and will continue to connect to televisions using the conventional cabling solution of current models.

While Apple no longer publicly releases the numbers for how many specific iPod models it sells, Think Secret has learned exclusively that during Apple's most recent December quarter, the company moved 3.9 million 5G iPods, exceeding internal estimates and confirming that strong demand remains for higher capacity, higher priced iPod models, especially with additional functionality. By comparison, 8 million iPod nanos were sold during the same period.

Readers will recall that during the brouhaha leading up to the October release of the 5G iPod last year, Think Secret maintained that the video iPod would not be released at the time and, following the roll-out of the 5G iPod, that that iPod was "not the video iPod" but rather a souped up 4G iPod with video capabilities. This forthcoming iPod revision is what sources have said for some time will be the incarnation of a complete video iPod solution.

Why do people love iPod so much? When they release things many years after it really is an revolution.. *me wonders*

I have an iPod killer :)

Why do people love iPod so much? When they release things many years after it really is an revolution.. *me wonders*

I have an iPod killer :D

I agree. iPods are over priced underpowered fasion accessories, if you want a decent mp3 or video player stay well clear.

The whole anti-iPod thing is a load of media hype. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, on the market that can beat the iPods in usability terms. Apple's UI and control system is way beyond anything that any other manufacturer uses.

Sure, some have battery problems, and yeah they cost more than rivals. Does that make them shit? No.

The whole anti-iPod thing is a load of media hype. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, on the market that can beat the iPods in usability terms. Apple's UI and control system is way beyond anything that any other manufacturer uses.

Sure, some have battery problems, and yeah they cost more than rivals. Does that make them ****? No.

What did you say..? They are way behind in technology. I don't care about UI and control system. I care about quality of the player. And the iPod design isen't really that good either. Why would you buy an overpriced player you could get for half the price.?

What did you say..? They are way behind in technology. I don't care about UI and control system. I care about quality of the player. And the iPod design isen't really that good either. Why would you buy an overpriced player you could get for half the price.?

I own an iPod Nano. I can say that it's takin a lickin and kept on tickin (to the beat that is). It's been abused and misused, and it still hasn't died. I've also used the Creative Nomad player and Dell's mp3 player. Neither can really measure up to the iPod. Honestly, it all comes down to usability. That's why Mac is so "revolutionary". Because they make products you can "just use".

I see the iPod as a good product (there are places for improvement); however, I'm not boasting that the iPod should be the only player. Steve Jobs has done a fantastic job at getting his company back to the top, and I commend him for pushing projects further and faster.

On another note:

What type of cell-phone do you have? A camera phone? How about one that plays mp3s? Do you have a black-berry?

If you said yes to any one of those things, let me ask you this:

Why do you purchase something for which a better competing product is out there with better quality?

Camera phone --> Digital camera & $20 phone

mp3 Phone --> iPod & $20 phone

blackberry --> Handheld PDA, laptop

There are plenty of products that are in the same situation as the iPod. Cell phones are the closest. They were fine as phones. Then someone said: Hey how about a camera in the phone? Well, Steve Jobs said: Hey, how about video in the iPod? So they're capitalizing on their "innovation". Who cares?

If you've ever used an ipod for longer than 20 minutes, you'd know why they're the leader in mp3 player hardware.

But that's just my opinion....

~Brett

Ever since I bought my iRiver H320 I have decided never to buy another iPoo. Now with RockBox being available it gains functionality weekly. (I can even play GameBoy games on it)

Nas is right... There's no device that can match the quality of the iPod, along with its storage capabilities. But honestly, I could care less if it plays videos or slideshows... It all kills the battery quicker on any device, although it is ok I guess as you can say that it has video functionality.

They are way behind in technology? In what way? Do you see anything that can match the iPod range's capabilities in the same size units? No, I didn't think so.

I had problems when I had an iPod Mini, I'll admit that. But, it was one of the first production run so I wasn't too bothered - the replacement which I received from Apple was absolutely fine.

You don't care about control system? Well...I guess that's personal preference, but I find that if it's not quick and easy for me to access my music, using the player becomes a chore and I end up not using it at all.

Your price point is a load of twaddle. The 4GB Nano is cheaper than Samsung, iAudio and iRiver's 2GB players. The 30GB iPod is cheaper than the 30GB Creative Zen Vision:M and the 30GB iAudio X5.

I could go on, but I have better things to do.