Tank52

DHT/UDP

21 posts in this topic

Can someone explain DHT/UDP to me in simple terms as I have noticed since upgrading to 1.3 my connection settings now has a box with DHT/UDP and a number, this was not setup by me so is it a random number or a network generated number? What are the benefits of DHT/UDP?

To the developers thanks for a great program.

Can someone explain DHT/UDP to me in simple terms as I have noticed since upgrading to 1.3 my connection settings now has a box with DHT/UDP and a number, this was not setup by me so is it a random number or a network generated number? What are the benefits of DHT/UDP?

You need to forward the port from your router in order for it to work correctly.

DHT connects you to all other programs that have DHT enabled, and searches through those users for any files in your download queue. :huh:

In the status bar, I see "DHT: 35" after turning it on in the settings. Just curious, what does the number mean? :huh:

It's number of users in your DHT routing table. In other words, users discovered in DHT. Current limit is 1920.

Ah, now I have 1920 there. I guess the more the better :P

I see this in the log

[21:55] DHT disabled: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.

and then
[21:55] DHT enabled again

My ports are: TCP 56000. UDP 56000,, TLS 56002, DHT/UDP 56003, all correctly forwarded. What is the issue?

Ah, now I have 1920 there. I guess the more the better ;)

I see this in the log

[21:55] DHT disabled: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.

and then

[21:55] DHT enabled again

My ports are: TCP 56000. UDP 56000, TLS 56002, DHT/UDP 56003, all correctly forwarded. What is the issue?

...sorry to quote myself but can anyone respond? Is it working or not? And how can I know it is working? Still noone from DHT has downloaded from me and I got no search results from DHT...

Thanks in advance.

Seems like my original simple question has opened a can of worms, might have to look elsewhere for an answer as you lot seem too busy attacking each other!!

Thanks

Seems like my original simple question has opened a can of worms, might have to look elsewhere for an answer as you lot seem too busy attacking each other!!

Thanks

Split topic.

I thought I addressed your original post, you still having issues?

Are you certain the ports are all forwarded correctly?

Have you tried using a port checker to verify this?

PFPortChecker is what I use, verifies if ports are correctly opened etc.

Also, double check firewalls aren't blocking it, f.ex. Eset Smart Security on automatic mode blocks Apex without warning.

Are you certain the ports are all forwarded correctly?

Have you tried using a port checker to verify this?

Yes, yes.

Also, double check firewalls aren't blocking it, f.ex. Eset Smart Security on automatic mode blocks Apex without warning.

I don't use ESS.

Anyway, I saw somebody actually downloading from me and the hub name was "DHT". So I suppose it was working but why the DHT was shut down and then restored again and again...?

why the DHT was shut down and then restored again and again...?

This is interesting question. When did it happen? On settings change, after crash etc.?

Just when the client was idle (no settings change or whatsoever). Maybe some uploads were running, I don't remember. But I can test it again when I am home where I have ports forwarded.

IMHO: some way of clearly showing search results from DHT "virtual hub", something simple and easy to see, like a special color for those search results, or some statistics... so that we can easily see that is working (or not) and how efficient it is...

I even propose this (cool thing): add a "DHT/Virtual Hub" to favorites... when I join that hub I can see (in userlist) all "DHT users"... the chat is of course disabled but MOTD can have usefull informations about DHT and I can use !info for some statistics etc... wow... :)

Of course, I will use DHT regardless of "joining" or not that hub. That hub will be only for feedback.

Special DHT window is planned and it won't be ready soon. If DHT works correctly, you will see DHT nodes count increasing and stopping at 1920. You can also see dht.xml file for some information.

Yesterday, I was in 3 hubs (+ DHT) and I needed to download 6,5 GB ISO file. It found about 10 sources (4 from DHT, 6 from hubs). I got no slots available for all hub users and was downloading about 1.8 MiB/s from DHT users only. It works very nice, but you must give it some time after startup :)

OK, tried it again and now it shows this:

[15:37] DHT disabled: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.

[15:38] DHT enabled again

[15:38] DHT disabled: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.

[15:39] DHT enabled again

[15:39] DHT disabled: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.

[15:40] DHT enabled again

My connection settings are attached to this post.

The client was connected to 7 hubs, was in idle state and with no transfers running.

post-20976-126883707282_thumb.png

Bump again.

Anyway, I would like to know when the client searches in DHT? Does it only when searching by TTH for alternatives (automatically) or does it search when I do a search in the hubs I have checked the checkboxes to search? Also, would it be possible to add a checkbox to search the DHT among the hubs we are connected to?

I didn't get any results nor downloaded anything from DHT yet, but sometimes I see an upload running so... just curious.

Bump again.

Anyway, I would like to know when the client searches in DHT? Does it only when searching by TTH for alternatives (automatically) or does it search when I do a search in the hubs I have checked the checkboxes to search? Also, would it be possible to add a checkbox to search the DHT among the hubs we are connected to?

I didn't get any results nor downloaded anything from DHT yet, but sometimes I see an upload running so... just curious.

DHT does TTH searches only... as far as I know anyways.

OK, tried it again and now it shows this:

My connection settings are attached to this post.

The client was connected to 7 hubs, was in idle state and with no transfers running.

Quoting myself again to BUMP this topic.

Maybe it has something to do with OpenVPN? (but it did this even when I was not using OpenVPN, and was connected directly).

//as far as I can tell, DHT works (sometimes there is an upload running). But I didn't have the chance to download from it.

I really have no clue why this happening. The code for all sockets is same, so it is really interesting why it happens for DHT socket only. Try exchaning DHT and general UDP ports to see what happens.

Big Muscle, thanks, but it did not help. The repeating error messages started appearing 9 minutes after launching apex (and connecting to hubs). DHT number is 884 atm (but raises slowly).