Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mek

Old-style flags

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

is there a way to return to the old-style flags? I am not quite sure I like the new fancy ones ;)

Thanx

Hi,

is there a way to return to the old-style flags? I am not quite sure I like the new fancy ones ;)

Thanx

You will get used to them. :o

Oh. I expected such an answer :mellow:

Oh. I expected such an answer :mellow:

Yes, You can

Must open apexdc.exe - check in tree view "PNG" and change value: new flag to old flag. Programs open f.e. resource hacker or other.

The old flags are still in the exe file despite the fact they are never used? :mellow:

The old flags are still in the exe file despite the fact they are never used? :mellow:

Nope they are not there... what slawekebi suggested was that you yourself swap the image to the old one by using Resource Hacker of some sort.

But be advised that if you do this then the replacement png should have the same amount of flags as the current one (ie. the image from say 1.2.1 will not do as it is). Also the process of doing this is not supported by us and we reserve the right to ignore any and all support requests or bug reports coming from a person we know has done this.

Above may come of as harsh but our general policy is that we do not support modified versions of ApexDC here and simply to be fair and consistent this policy will hold no matter what kind of modification has been made or how it was made.

I understand. However, when you do a change you know not all users would like, leave the option to revert to old behaviour - a checkbox in the settings probably. I don't suggest making a checkbox for EVERY feature, but to the small group of them which are likely to get unliked by some users. I mean, there are still many options which are not important, like "Use old-style sharing interface" or "Hide hub topic" or "Enable $HubTopic support", so why not this? :)

I understand. However, when you do a change you know not all users would like, leave the option to revert to old behaviour - a checkbox in the settings probably. I don't suggest making a checkbox for EVERY feature, but to the small group of them which are likely to get unliked by some users. I mean, there are still many options which are not important, like "Use old-style sharing interface" or "Hide hub topic" or "Enable $HubTopic support", so why not this? :)

Actually Use old-style sharing interface might be very important option if running in certain environment (f.ex. Wine, though I have not tested if this is actually the case).

Anyways this is something that falls to the "you can't please everyone" category. If our goal was to please every user who has ever used Apex there would be a whole section in settings called "Legacy Behaviors" or something like that.

About those other options you mentioned Hide hub topic is something that goes way back, it certainly predates ApexDC. On the other hand Enable $HubTopic support is something that was added because I hated $HubTopic because the topic as we all know is already in plain view in most cases so this added system message was just a bother to me.

The thing with these kind of options is that the line has to be drawn somewhere and I decided that two things would be the deciding factors.. one the amount of code two the addition of otherwise unused resources.

I f.ex. to this day like some of the old blue icons ApexDC had way back in 0.x.0 series better than those we have now, but for the reasons mentioned above an option to allow this has not been added.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0