Aztek

ApexDC++ Settings Backup

13 posts in this topic

IT'S NOT READY YET

The backup process works, but the restore process is non-functional !

http://sourceforge.net/projects/apexdcsettingsb/

check it out...

p.s. i need help, i'm baffled on how to code the treeview thingy...

p.s.2. i hate the new theme of sf.net, any idea if i can change it ?

Edited by Aztek

New release released

ApexDC++ Settings Backup Version 0.5 Beta

i know the name sucks but whatcha gonna do :P

http://sourceforge.net/projects/apexdcsettingsb/

Now with full functionality:

Can set settings (of itself !)

Can backup

Can restore

Can delete backup

Source available on sf.net

please post all bugs here or in the tracker on sf.net

Enjoy ;)

Edited by Aztek

i am working on making this application accept command line commands so it can be scheduled to make backups automatically every x hours, days or weeks :P

i am also working on making the program verify the files somehow and tell you if they haven't changed so you just use the last backup, and that could even work for the scheduled backups aswell (not make backup if last was the same ... ;)

well any ideas ?

Not sure what you have done already, will test... But:

- Keep each Xth save (for example, each 10th save). So you won't end up with overwritten and screwed settings again.

explain, it doesn't overwrite anything, i don't understand

well it does if you use the restore feature

Edited by Aztek

is there almost no interest in this,

crise what about putting this program into the guide for backing up settings ?

i'm gonna make a guide now and submit it, wait for it :stuart:

Edited by Aztek

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, to successfully backup apex, you only need to zip the folder where it has been installed, and keep the zip file. Why would one need a brand new application to do this for him/her?

...to successfully backup apex, you only need to zip the folder where it has been installed, and keep the zip file...

I wouldn't agree. It happenned to me several times that I had some problems with Apex application. I needed a fresh re-install of Apex, but wanted to keep personal settings like Favourites, passwords, nicknames etc. So backing up entire Apex folder wouldn't work for me in that case, since problems would probably be back with such a back-up of entire folder. I think it's a good idea, especially for non-experienced users, to have an application that could back-up only needed files (and folders), and leave out all the others that aren't nessecary. :angry:

Edit: I also think that it would be better to create a plugin for Apex that would do back-up, than to have a separate application.

I also think that it would be better to create a plugin for Apex that would do back-up, than to have a separate application.

My thoughts exactly.

My thoughts exactly.

yes well, i don't know any C++ code so i wouldn't be much help there

You only need to backup these files (to be able to successfuly restore/migrate ApexDC++ again):

*.xml (All XML files)

GeoIPCountryWhois.csv (If you use option "Show Country" for each IP address)

HashData.dat (Hash info for all files)

NOTES:

Basically, if you just want to upgrade your ApexDC, just download the newest ApexDC.pdb and ApexDC.exe and overwrite the old 2 files with new ones.

If you are migrating ApexDC (moving it to another computer), it is _strongly_ recommended that you finish all your downloads before doing that. If you don't do that, you must copy the download/unfinished folder to the new computer, too, in order to be able to continue your downloads.

In order to avoid rehashing all your shared files again, you need to have the same shared folders structure.