Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
darthvader

UAC and 1.0.1

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, Just upgraded from 0.40 to 1.0.1 and UAC seems to keep asking for my permission to open apex. Wouldnt mind the inconvience normally, but i like to have apex automatically open on startup with windows so it can just run in the background nice and smoothly, which obviously doesnt happen now.

So my questions are, 1. Is there any reason why i have this issue with 1.01 but not with 0.40 (did i not install it correctly?) and 2. how do i fix it?

Many thanks to whoever provides help!

This is from another topic regarding this...

The only genuine way around UAC is through COM moniker as far as I know... simply because you can not elevate an already running process. However, even going through the trouble of learning COM would not help as f.ex. magnet keys are created at program startup... so the elevation popup would still come up almost instantly after application start smile.gif

PS: SDC uses asInvoker (last I checked it did anyways), and we use highestAvailable... there is a slight difference to find that out use google

Edit: since you won't google anyways here it is...

QUOTE:

Executables with no need for administrative rights, like Notepad.exe, specify the asInvoker value. Some executables expect administrators to always want maximum access, so they use the highestAvailable value. A user who runs an executable with that value will be asked to elevate only if he is running in AAM or considered an administrator according to the rules defined earlier and must elevate in order to access his administrative rights. Regedit.exe, Mmc.exe, and Eventvwr.exe are examples of applications that use highestAvailable. Finally, requireAdministrator always causes an elevation request and is used by any executable that will fail to operate without administrative rights.

Thanks for the help Crise. So from what i can gather in its current form avoiding UAC is in fact unavoidable? Thats a shame.

Why wasnt UAC a problem for 0.40, is it because it didnt demand maximum access? Is that correct?

Thanks for the help Crise. So from what i can gather in its current form avoiding UAC is in fact unavoidable? Thats a shame.

Why wasnt UAC a problem for 0.40, is it because it didnt demand maximum access? Is that correct?

Well you can avoid the promt with 1.1.0 simply by logging on as a user that is not considered an admin...

It was, it just so happens 040 was the first version you used. If 110 was the first version it would work, the problem would present itself in the next version tho.

Well you can avoid the promt with 1.1.0 simply by logging on as a user that is not considered an admin...

oh ok thanks, i thought it wouldnt work 100% because the magnet keys still wouldnt work. With your solution the problem is i run apex on a computer that isnt mine, so i cant go changing the login profiles. Usually i just have it running quietly in the background and no one notices ;) !

It was, it just so happens 040 was the first version you used. If 110 was the first version it would work, the problem would present itself in the next version tho.

So if i uninstall it and re-install it as 'new' will that avoid it coming up? sounds to easy ;)

Yeh, uninstall it and remove all references of it from UAC (via registry also) and that'll sort it.

With your solution the problem is i run apex on a computer that isnt mine, so i cant go changing the login profiles. Usually i just have it running quietly in the background and no one notices :thumbsup: !

Yep, trying to do the same thing here.

Vista ultimate, ApexDC 1.1.0, User has admin rights.

With UAC running get a dialogue box saying untrusted program is trying to gain control of your computer, each time I start ApexDC

Yeh, uninstall it and remove all references of it from UAC (via registry also) and that'll sort it.

Does this really work?

I had a clean install of vista. Loaded ApexDC 1.1.0 and get this behaviour without ever installing any other version.

Does this really work?

I had a clean install of vista. Loaded ApexDC 1.1.0 and get this behaviour without ever installing any other version.

A fresh install makes no difference, turn off UAC to avoid the problem.

Think its the registry keys for magnet links that cause UAC to react if this association only happened once and not every time a clients starts up would UAC react then ?

A fresh install makes no difference, turn off UAC to avoid the problem.

Thank you Satan, you have saved me a lot of pointless experimenting.

BTW,

I would support ApexDC being compatible with UAC at some point in the future is it did not place an unreasonable burden on the program.

Think its the registry keys for magnet links that cause UAC to react if this association only happened once and not every time a clients starts up would UAC react then ?

A once only confirmation would be good but I suspect it is Microsoft's way of extorting money from software developer's so it may not be easy to avoid.

In a way its a problem with how Vista uses UAC. It work's on a exe basis however if the exe changes it 'see's' it as a different file and goes back to blocking it.

Its off, and im unsure as to how we can get around it. Really MS should make UAC more thorough.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0