Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oriuskhan

[1.0.1][Bug] New auto-scroll feature does NOT work properly

10 posts in this topic

I noticed the removal of the Auto-scroll on/off feature on the right click menu with the release of the latest version, and the subsequent explanation of how it should work here on the forums. It seems like it sometimes works like that (ie. not moving the window if you're scrolled up some) if there's not a whole lot in the buffer, and you haven't scrolled up that far.

But it just flat out doesn't work right when I try to test it after Apex has been open and running for a while. There's a couple hubs I used to test it out that have like Trivia bots or whatever running on them, because then I can be guaranteed to have a continuous flow of incoming text. This of course leads to thousands of lines of chat history in the window after a while. So I scroll up a bit, wait a few seconds and then *POP*.... the window scrolls to a seemingly random point in the log. It doesn't scroll up by the small amount of new text that was added at the bottom, it doesn't scroll up by one page worth or anything, just to a point WAAAAAY up in the list.

The log DOES get cut off at the top eventually, so I'm assuming there's some internal cap on how much history it keeps. Perhaps reaching this limit is what causes this issue to appear. Here is what I've noticed so far:

- If I scroll up 1 single line of text, it is ignored as if I haven't scrolled at all and just autoscrolls the window down when the next line appears.

- If I scroll up TWO lines or more, the 1st jump goes up to about 35% down from the top of the log. The 2nd line causes it to jump up to about 10% down from the top. The 3rd jump goes to about 5%, and the 4th jump up to just under the top, maybe 1% down. After that, it either jumps all the way back down to the bottom and continues auto-scrolling like normal, or it remains at the very top of the log, and continues auto-scrolling from there, with lines that disappear off the top of the screen being erased entirely.

With the Auto-Scroll Toggle feature removed from the menu, it is now physically impossible to read text from an earlier point in the log if there's active chat going on, because it will be continuously jumping to different places. Only way is to click on the little scroll bar thingy itself, and hold down the mouse button and as it jumps & keep trying to move the mouse down and return to the previous spot. Which of course is insane.

Did StrongDC also change this?

If so, test it on that. I'm not doubting you at all, i'm just wondering if it apex or strong code causing it.

Did StrongDC also change this?

If so, test it on that. I'm not doubting you at all, i'm just wondering if it apex or strong code causing it.

Have no idea, sorry. I am just a lowly ApexDC user. :thumbsup: Don't have enough free time to play with multiple versions much, I just try to report things that I notice over a long period of time whenever I can to help out. Can somebody who has this other software confirm if it happens there too?

I don't know if I'm allowed to post hub addresses here, but if so I can list a couple that I was using to test if you want.

when buffer is full and chat is cut off, it is automatically scrolled down regardless of everything.

when buffer is full and chat is cut off, it is automatically scrolled down regardless of everything.

This is a *STRANGE* behaviour... Any comments why this was done in such way? I think we should have a feature/switch that disables scrolling/chat window updates at all, so user can read smth that was written some time ago... Esp, this is useful for operators.

That's not right, obviously. Let chat window shows lines from i till j while whole buffer contains lines from 0 to n-1. Let us add k lines in the bottom of chat, so entire buffer moves to [k, n-1+k]. This means we should decrement i and j by k (of course, if i < k then we'll lost some lines, and that's right -- in this case chat window line ranges must be set to [0,..windowsize-1].

Hope this is clear. The autscroll abscence MUST disable any scrolling, so all lines remain intact as long as it possible.

Are there all devs on May Holidays still, eh? :laugh:

Maybe some comments will follow ? :)

Maybe. This "feature" annoys me as well, as hell.

well, we'll try to implement 'proper' version... don't like to dig the non-mine code but it's our duty. af we were lucky, i'll provide the .patchfile for it.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0