AddictedToChaos

VLC (Video LAN) player as AVI Preview altenate?

11 posts in this topic

I 've recently found a player called VLC (Video LAN) player wich can play almost, all incomplete files (avi,mpg,mp3 etc.). It's very strong player, much better than AVI Preview.

I think this could be a nice AVI Preview alternate, but it's size makes it unsuitable to be bundled with Apex <_< . It's approximatelly 7mb.

It could be a reference to it though. What's your opinion? :lol:

Yes, it could be made optional for install and downloaded only if selected. VLC also plays streams, so it very good for previews (in case the ftp mirroring is still added...)

but it's size makes it unsuitable to be bundled with Apex <_< . It's approximatelly 7mb.

It could be a reference to it though. What's your opinion? :lol:

Yes, it could be made optional for install and downloaded only if selected. VLC also plays streams, so it very good for previews (in case the ftp mirroring is still added...)

I like both your options. So yeah, we could bundle VLC with ApexDC++ and allow it to use the Preview function. Or maybe just show people how to do it?

Yeap. We have to make a how-to about it.

Now, i don't know how the General Public License thing works, but if you are allowed to modify the software, you can isolate only the main functions of the player so that the size will be reduced. Did i say a big crap? <_<

Personally, I think it would be enough if ApexDC++ can be told to use VLC as an alternative. It does not have to be bundled with it, just having the option to set it as default preview player would be enough.

Yeah, maybe give an option on first run to set it. Have some annoying first time wizard and have stuff like this in there. Just let the user select the directory it's in (having the default put in by default for most users). Also for the first run thing (dunno how it works - if it exists at all), instead of (assuming that) just having an option in the Settings.XML where a line is added if it is/isn't their first run, have it so that instead there is a number. Then in future if something is dded which would affect the first run thing, have that require a different number to be in the settings wizard, otherwise it treats it as first run dispite it not being so. Furthmore, it could just be the version number to base that on, but anyway, you could even have it show certain parts of this wizard to be run on first startup according to the version, so only new stuff to set would be added. This whole compare to current numb er present thing could also be used to display any/all changes from there previous version, and display a ny other info for the release. Anyway, don't know how that all works now, that was rather random. Was thinking it so i had to write it somewhere even if it's pointless to write, keeping my brain active. :)

And what if VLC is not installed still? There will be no path... The only way would be to download and install VLC during Apex DC++ setup, otherwise if the VLC is in Apex DC++ Installer, the size would be too big, as said above.

And what if VLC is not installed still? There will be no path... The only way would be to download and install VLC during Apex DC++ setup, otherwise if the VLC is in Apex DC++ Installer, the size would be too big, as said above.

Or just offer a guide that explains how to download VLC and set ApexDC++ to use it.

Have a link within the step to add your VLC path to Apex to the VLC site, or download page. I can't see how going much further would be easy or anything (bundling them together).

Yeah, I love VLC, no need for codec installations and it supports pretty much every format under the sun. It also supports x264 (since the VLC team develops that open source codec of H.246) which is starting to get big.

Yeah, I love VLC, no need for codec installations and it supports pretty much every format under the sun. It also supports x264 (since the VLC team develops that open source codec of H.246) which is starting to get big.

Yeah, I use it for my x264 films. ;)