Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eternal

Mark existing files when searching

16 posts in this topic

A very convenient feature in ApexDC is that it marks out files (colour) that i have in my share when searching og browsing other users filelist. So that I don't download duplicates or files that I forgot that I already had (ex. pictures or mp3 files).

Is it possible to do this to files that are NOT in my share as well? For example; If i have a share with "MOVIES1" plus a catalog called "c:\MOVIES2" that I don't share. Is it possible to get the same recognition and tagging of files that are in "MOVIES2" when searching or browsing other fileshares, as i get with "MOVIES1"?

I hope this made sense :huh:

I think it was disscussed in feature requests before. And afaik the answer is no, because then you will not have any stimulus to share. :huh:

One simple reason is too the fact that scanning all the files on your local hdd is not good idea... we have data for shared files "out of the box" and that's why this behavior is possible for them.

Also, I believe, to enable the feature DC would need to hash your whole drive whether shared or not.

Also, I believe, to enable the feature DC would need to hash your whole drive whether shared or not.

not necessarily hash, but scan in one way or the other anyways...

Why? would it need to scan the whole harddrive?

Seems to me what we need is simply to generate the TTH info on all the _selected_ files/directories and then implement a function in ApexDC that triggers on those TTH's and do the appropriate action - colour-tag them.

I'm no programmer, but it doesn't seem all that complicated, and it would really be a great function ex. if one could import and merge TTH-lists on my laptop with all the files i have on my desktop, portable etc. and in that way simplify filelibrary-handling when searching.

And if one has like me - two instances of ApexDC running because i have separate instances of filelist, hashdata etc. in them, it also would be great if one could implement a trigger on the files in the queue of each instance, to keep track of duplicates.

Can this be worked out? Pretty-please with cherry on top? Think a LOT of people would appreciate this feature and it would truly make ApexDC unique n' even more kickass than ever before in history...

Yes, possibly it can be made, but I doubt that the developers will have the time soon, having in mind our schedule. Who knows, smtms people get a nice surprise by us. :)

yes, yes. so what we need is simply a program/module to create TTH-sums of selected files (and preferably also queue lists) and the possibility to import/export these TTH lists in ApexDC so that it can be triggered during search. and a option to manage queue lists in the way that you can join/merge them, search for duplicates ect. you get the drift.... would seriously KICK ASS!!! since file/filelist managing is singlehandedly the most pain in the ass aspect about the whole DC-thing besides stupid hubowners.

I'm getting seriously exited already - when can we expect this great set of functions that we've all missed? :)

edit: would also be great if we could create NO-lists too. Choose a file and add it to a "ban-list" so that it shows up red or something if it hits in the search field.

in this way we could keep TOTALLY control of what files we want, have and avoiding any issues with file-renaming as well since it's all based on TTH.

I would donate if we could see such a feature :)

Erm, we would see such feature if you could donate... joking :) It depends on coders to decide, also if enough users will find this handy, etc. If I am not wrong, eMule remembers all downloaded files, so we have some base maybe.

Perhaps you could be so kind as to move this to the feature request section, zlobo? (hence, I know i ****ed up :))

Perhaps you could be so kind as to move this to the feature request section, zlobo? (hence, I know i ****ed up :) )

Erm, I would gladly would, if I could... (I do not have the rights). :) But I am sure smo who has the rights will do.

In order to generate a TTH for the file you would need to hash them...however, crise said it may be possible, but my guess is it would be hard to code.

hard to code; why?

seems to me most of the dirty work is already implemented with existing hashing and trigger-mechanisms. what we need is to make this into a module that is portable and flexible. as said; I'm no programmer, but it seems to me that what has to be done revolves around existing code + some clever, creative implementation of this - and it sure as hell would be worth the while :)

Moved, as suggested.

These feature would be nice, but it's how we go about scanning people's files that's hard to decide. Plenty of people (myself included) arn't going to want all there harddrives hashed due to the amount of time that will take.

Moved, as suggested.

These feature would be nice, but it's how we go about scanning people's files that's hard to decide. Plenty of people (myself included) arn't going to want all there harddrives hashed due to the amount of time that will take.

I do not see a problem as long as it is optionable. :)

I do not see a problem as long as it is optionable. :)

Well I can assure that such option will not be made :) (In other words I just effectively rejected this request entirely, just so things are not left unclear)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0