Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bodny

Support VLC Media player

21 posts in this topic

Hello, i use VLC Media Player, it is very nice and simple. :) Can you add support for this player? :)

Hmm, i have latest public version 1.0.0 B4, but I dont see VLC Media Player in a list.

I see only Winamp, Windows Media Player, iTunes, Media Player Classic :)

I believe this has been discussed in the past. VLC is widely used for playing movies/video, and not so much for music. (There's better applications availble for music in my opinion.) There's two reasons why trying to display information for video seems a little pointless:

1) Generally video will require your visual attention instead of DC, you'll be looking at the video not chatting on DC.

2) Video formats don't have metadata in the same sort of way as music. With music there's a fairly universal standard for files, title and artist etc. are generally always included and this is what is used to display what song you are playing in ApexDC. With video pretty much all we have to go on is the filename (and stuff like bitrate), which could be quite useless in letting people know what you're watching.

I can watch video in whatever player, where i can listen music. I can watch video in Winamp, so why is a command for winamp? And its logical that I dont use command /w when I watching video. I use VLC for play music & video files. So when I am listening music I want to tell anyone what I am listening now. So this is reasons why you have add support for VLC to ApexDC++, which is cutting edge. :)

But if you doesnt like this idea, so write as well that you dont want this feature and I will be quiet :)

I don't like the feature, but I don't like support for WMP either. In fact to me it's totally unneeded. The point is that other people use these features, if other people want VLC support then we may look into it, we just thought it was a fair assumption that VLC wasn't used much for music.

We could also integrate a player into Apex....or allow users the extendability to add there own preferences to advertise.

Why ApexDC++ couldnt have a integrated music player, other p2p clients have it, so ApexDC++ will outstrip other clients for dc++, I think... :unsure:

Glad to got back in here... What about one window which will import playlist from winamp and allow user to move tracks up and down while playlist is running...

Player supports stay as they are... mainly because they are true pain, as they depend on other software (which are being updated) so support for them may break at any time.

Thats reasonable - stability at the first place. We all are looking for that at the first place i think.

Why would you need to control your media player from within another application anyway? :S Personally I can't see the appeal.

Player supports stay as they are... mainly because they are true pain, as they depend on other software (which are being updated) so support for them may break at any time.

Ur telling me crise, I get fed up having to update MSN+ everytime there is a new version of Live Mess even tho it adds nowt....

Why would you need to control your media player from within another application anyway? :S Personally I can't see the appeal.

I tried it in mIRC all those years ago when I used it, annoyed me tbh.

Bah... I just thought when you can play stop pause skip to next and previous without moving client window... but hey... you are right... thats not that important, there are other nice things which can be implemented...

Ditto. If i want to control my media player, I'll use my media player. But then, I have a lot of screen space and don't maximise things, so I suppose I'm unusual. What about tray icons? :crying:

Bah... I just thought when you can play stop pause skip to next and previous without moving client window... but hey... you are right... thats not that important, there are other nice things which can be implemented...

Doesn't the media toolbar already allow you to do that? Ctrl+4 to show that. Ability to manipulate the playlist just seems like bloat, and would probably be less convenient t o do in Apex than in your media player.

Winamp window (which is what that window is called in other clients) will never be added... I am even seriously considering removing the media toolbar entirely... before or after 1.0.0 final I have not yet decided...

Winamp window (which is what that window is called in other clients) will never be added... I am even seriously considering removing the media toolbar entirely... before or after 1.0.0 final I have not yet decided...

As it's already there it's probably worth leaving there, unless it uses resources even when not visible. Seems that some people use it, and if it's hidden it's not really clustering up the toolbar menus.

As it's already there it's probably worth leaving there, unless it uses resources even when not visible. Seems that some people use it, and if it's hidden it's not really clustering up the toolbar menus.

Pst, it can't be done to remember its position and so it will be removed. And in this way it can be even a line in the changelog. :crying:

Thanks, so I assume I just have stopped to check... will do now. :crying:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0