Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zlobomir

Improvement of Connection Description

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

This is an idea I got from a thread in the BG forum, while responding to The Jackal. I imagine the Connection Description like:

1. An empty box, for the user to type his ideal upload speed, maybe even two or even three such boxes for Int\Country Peering\LAN

2. A Geo-IP enabled calculator, constantly or at (given) intervals computing:

2.1. Int - current Int Upload = Available speed (reserve) atm

2.2. As 2.1., but for Country Peering

2.3. As 2.1, but for LAN

All the three results could be shown under Connection Speed like 200\50\2000 KB for 200 KB Int, 50 KB Peering, 2000 KB LAN.

It probably needs some protection from spamming hub with this info, but may update on a given interval, etc..

Sorry but I have to say no to this idea, for one very simple reason... and that would be myinfo spam ;)

It probably needs some protection from spamming hub with this info, but may update on a given interval, etc..

Can be made with fixed limit, say every 5 mins even... or letting hub know it, so hub owners would know if entering user has turned the feature on. If it is not desired, a message "Please turn off variable upload speed info" could be sent back. Like now with DC emulation or banned clients.

Can be made with fixed limit, say every 5 mins even...

i remember that my first DC++ mod called BigCZDC sent $MyInfo with upload speed once a hour and PPK was saying that I was an idiot because I spammed network :) :) :D

i remember that my first DC++ mod called BigCZDC sent $MyInfo with upload speed once a hour and PPK was saying that I was an idiot because I spammed network :):D:D

Ok, but networks have changed since then I guess (or I guess PPK was the ID=10T, seeing what a bright man you grew up :)). I would like to have this in my hub. But in order to have it, it should be in client. Don't tell me I need to convince another 10 hubs with 10K+ users. :D

It's seems like an 'ok' idea. But I don't like the real-time suggestion. I would rather allow users to enter their own stats.

It's seems like an 'ok' idea. But I don't like the real-time suggestion. I would rather allow users to enter their own stats.

But don't we have it now? If speed is not computed atm, it will not be correct. Actually, can't this be made as a direct info b/w Apex clients?

We don't have the ability to enter our own stats? Do we?

The problem with spamming MyInfo still exists unfortunately zlo.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0