S Murder

Unused Hub Disconnect

12 posts in this topic

Could there be a button added that will disconnect from all hubs that aren't currently needed for any of the items in your download queue? Sometimes I have up to 15 hubs open, and it's hard to tell which ones I'm not using.

Maybe there could also be a button on each hub tab saying "Disconnect if Unused", and options that will disconnect if you're just waiting for a spot on a hub but nothing is currently downloading, or if the needed users on a hub are currently offline.

Maybe it could also be in the format of a Connected Hub Summary tab, which would list the hubs you're connected to, and each hub would have a sub-tree showing what users from that hub are in your Download Queue, and which ones are online, and which users you're connected to, and even what files they're needed for. Then you could right click on the hubs in the tree and disconnect them from there.

A new source could pop in any second, thus make the hub "used" again... OR... if you were not downloading in a hub, but you were uploading, and get disconnected by this feature, that would "hurt" other users. And I think 15 hubs is not much at all.

Agreed... DC++ is for SHARING. You have at one time or another taken something from those hubs... so play fair and stay in them and share back :D

Well, I like to do other stuff while sharing, so 15 is a lot for me since it uses more of my CPU and RAM.

I connect to a lot of public hubs to see if they have what I'm looking for. Often they have nothing of interest, the users are way too slow and disconnect me after 30 seconds and/or never have any free slots, and usually the only files being uploaded are from hubs that I'm downloading from. When looking for files I'll check every few minutes sometimes, and every day or so, and it's always the same 2 or 3 hubs out of 15 that return results.

If I'm not uploading or downloading from a hub, haven't in the past few days, and it's not likely that I will in the future, then it's a waste for me as well as for the hub to be connected to it.

Further, sharing goes both ways; why should my resources be spent on a hub that isn't sharing with me? I could disconnect and then find another hub where more mutual sharing is going on.

Jumping from hub to hub is not the way for DC network. You pick Your best hubs with users having lots of good stuff and stick them (and search some new when necessary). If You want to find some rare file just go to some content oriented hub or use networks like eDonkey with much more "global" serach options.

I connect to a lot of public hubs to see if they have what I'm looking for. Often they have nothing of interest, the users are way too slow and disconnect me after 30 seconds and/or never have any free slots, and usually the only files being uploaded are from hubs that I'm downloading from. When looking for files I'll check every few minutes sometimes, and every day or so, and it's always the same 2 or 3 hubs out of 15 that return results.

I just figured, that most big public hubs dont tell you in main chat "You need to be registered to search" any more. Just try the +reg or +regme cmd if you dont get any search results/ or users to download off. Most big public hubs have all the stuff you can find in specialized hubs. Btw the best HUB to find files i've ever seen is One-Love :)

Most big public hubs have all the stuff you can find in specialized hubs.

I think this is not true, I usually find the most valuable things in private hubs.

I think this is not true, I usually find the most valuable things in private hubs.

Well, this might be depending on how special your interests are ... Also, of course there are files not suitable for public hubs. My main sources for legal rare music files are the large public hubs.

actually i also rarely find anything on some hubs, but just simply leave them opened, as dc is about sharing .... as i've been on a hub 5 or more years ago, saved manymany money and time for myself during the years :) .... it's the minimum to leave it opened to "give it all back" .... but anyway, if noone downloads from you on those hubs, and you don't download anything from that ... it won't make much difference anyway, i guess you're not on a p2 with 128 mb ram

I just figured, that most big public hubs dont tell you in main chat "You need to be registered to search" any more. Just try the +reg or +regme cmd if you dont get any search results/ or users to download off. Most big public hubs have all the stuff you can find in specialized hubs. Btw the best HUB to find files i've ever seen is One-Love :huh:

You mean the Reggae hub? Or are you talking about another one?

You mean the Reggae hub? Or are you talking about another one?

You'll find everything in One-Love :D , Reggae or whatever Adress: OneLove.FreeWay-FUN.net:7777 :D

But surely doing this would restrict you as well?

I mean, say your downloading a file a 5Kb/s then a user joins a hub you've just left with an upload of 100Kb/s....you've wasted your own time....