Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iceman50

Using PG code

13 posts in this topic

listen the problem i have is that you took your code for your PeerGuardian and give no credit to who really created it i.e Alum (yes i know because of PGLoader.cpp/.h ) why not make your own code and begin from vanilla and not steal someones code... P.S ... you did bad implementation of the PG Code anywho so i wouldn't expect much from you guys....btw go wxWidgets for *nix not gtk or glade .... then you coulde just switch the gui from wtl alltogether and still have a beautiful design ... but i guess i can't expect much from a client mod of a mod of a mod of a mod

Alum was given the option as to whether he wanted credit from what I gathered from the conversation with Crise, and I gathered he didn't want to. If Alum wants credit, he can PM me directly and the changelog page will be updated specifying this initial help.

Thanks for notifying us on the specific problems regarding the PG plugin. The implementation of the PG plugin is always improving and in the process we can't satisfy everyone. In the next public release the PeerGuardian implementation is no longer a plugin and comes built into the program. If you have anymore suggestions feel free to get back to us, in the meantime don't make us look ungrateful for not giving credit where credit is due (which we fully appreciate).

Thanks for stopping by. I advise you to post in the correct area next time, saves me the hassle of moving your post. :whistling:

listen the problem i have is that you took your code for your PeerGuardian and give no credit to who really created it i.e Alum (yes i know because of PGLoader.cpp/.h ) why not make your own code and begin from vanilla and not steal someones code... P.S ... you did bad implementation of the PG Code anywho so i wouldn't expect much from you guys....btw go wxWidgets for *nix not gtk or glade .... then you coulde just switch the gui from wtl alltogether and still have a beautiful design ... but i guess i can't expect much from a client mod of a mod of a mod of a mod

Hmm, interesting to see you here...

Anyways yes the code is from Alum, true we haven't given him credit directly... but neither denied it from him completely, besides we haven't claimed once that we did it on our own. I have clearly stated at least three times that I/we do not have src for the plugin (and at least 2 out of 3 are in public sections of these forums).

In regards to bad implementation, true it is bad.. or should I rather say it was bad... and that was not only because of me, but also because the undeniable fact the plugin has it's limits (but you are still rigtht I did it bad to begin with... hopefully you are satisfied by this confession).

Since I am at it I can also now give an official statement regarding this. Since 15th March, 6:11:33pm (GMT+2) files PGLoader.cpp and .h are no longer part of ApexDC++'s source code (date and time of the svn commit, files were deleted from my local copy few days earlier).

To return to Alum and giving credit for a while, I do have respect for Alum (same way I have for any coder, even you), but there is something which I do not like at all and that is how someone that this matter does not concern comes here and start's to defend other's (in this case Alum) rights... If it would really matter, they have the means of contacting directly to me or Lee themselves, and then we can fix the issue without a need for another link in the chain...

As for being a mod of a mod.... There is only one thing which I have to say, why would i need to re-invent something that's already there... you could compare it to every generation re-inventing a wheel for instance :whistling:

now hold on if you don't like me that is fine, i am just a person who was taught to always reinvent the wheel because why use code that is there or you can go and make code that you can truly call your own ... and btw ... you cuold always just make your own plugin source... technicly it's not extremely hard ... the hardest part about making your own plugin code to match the loader is the .p2p file reading which is easy at that sorry to come off like a firebreathing d*ckhead from mars but .... i've had a bad year to say the least ;-)

P.S ... i've hated using others code just because it always got in my way ... i.e if i make it i know it by heart and you tend to learn a little better that way ... or so that's how it works for me

Well, I feel that for us the project advance is more important from "reinverting wheels". :wacko: I don't see why we have to change that while we have many satisfied users. And one of the men we call "geniuses" has said: "The human knowledge belongs to humanity". Unfortunately we all are mortal, therefore what's wrong with continuity? We are happy in our way and do not criticize you for your way, why you have to criticize us? Aren't you happy in your way?

Wise words Zlob...

And iceman, I don't think the tone of our replies has anything to do with liking you or not, we just replied the way we saw appropriate based on how you wrote your post... how does it go in English "Treat others as you would like yourself to be treated", or something like that :wacko:

now hold on if you don't like me that is fine, i am just a person who was taught to always reinvent the wheel because why use code that is there or you can go and make code that you can truly call your own ... and btw ... you cuold always just make your own plugin source... technicly it's not extremely hard ... the hardest part about making your own plugin code to match the loader is the .p2p file reading which is easy at that sorry to come off like a firebreathing d*ckhead from mars but .... i've had a bad year to say the least ;-)

P.S ... i've hated using others code just because it always got in my way ... i.e if i make it i know it by heart and you tend to learn a little better that way ... or so that's how it works for me

The only reason we see to rebuild (not reinvent - the idea behind it is good enough already) "the wheel" is because there is something wrong it, it's inefficient, and we believe we can do better. If we were to use your code etc. and implement it into our client then surely it can only be taken as a compliment, especially if duplicating it is simple, just shows we believe you have done it better than we would have.

Wise words Zlob...

And iceman, I don't think the tone of our replies has anything to do with liking you or not, we just replied the way we saw appropriate based on how you wrote your post... how does it go in English "Treat others as you would like yourself to be treated", or something like that :wacko:

"Do onto others as you would wish them do onto you."

Heh, I can kind of see the logic based on that, although hopefully it's now understood we're not trying to be aggressive.

just for a kik why not reinvent the wheel .... you do understand your client has bbugs .... why not go with continuity you say? because i could run apexdc through debugging and VLD (visual leak detector) and test it... and there would be alot of bugs... and not because im saying you're a ****ty programmer isay it because you can make your own work better not bigmuscles work or ppk's

just for a kik why not reinvent the wheel .... you do understand your client has bbugs .... why not go with continuity you say? because i could run apexdc through debugging and VLD (visual leak detector) and test it... and there would be alot of bugs... and not because im saying you're a shitty programmer isay it because you can make your own work better not bigmuscles work or ppk's

Bugs are inevitable my friend, even if you reinvent the wheel. That isn't an option for us, because: A) it takes time and :thumbsup: we may as well focus on new features with the time we have

Yeah, and having your own new bugs is cute... BUT IT'S WRONG! :) Remember the cartoon? In our way we think we have the chance to clean our bugs, until BM clears his, and not end with 2x bugs, as usually happens when reinventing the wheel. :)

@iceman50 - btw I took a quick look at your reinvented client... nice work! Does it work? :thumbsup:

you're talking to the wrong person about bugs my friend i know all about them and all of the inevitability i've been working with C++ for a good chunk of time ... and more time spent on features? it took agent 1-2 months to release his new StardustDC++ client and if you haven't had a look at it then do so ... tme is not a factor for the ones who are dedicated

<sarcasm>and secondly ... it probably takes more time to fix the bugs from the other clients then doing it from scratch so praise to another choir about that song my frind </sarcasm>

<sarcasm>and secondly ... it probably takes more time to fix the bugs from the other clients then doing it from scratch so praise to another choir about that song my frind </sarcasm>

Read Zlob's post again. BM fixes his bugs, we fix ours. Sometimes Crise would use a temp patch, b

t it isn't that often.

I think you've just come here to kick off a fuss. Sure other clients are going to be different, have different code... it's inevitable. Whether you prefer that over another it doesn't matter. :thumbsup:

The majority of new stuff in recent alphas is from our ideas and not borrowed from other clients. :)

you're talking to the wrong person about bugs my friend i know all about them and all of the inevitability i've been working with C++ for a good chunk of time ... and more time spent on features? it took agent 1-2 months to release his new StardustDC++ client and if you haven't had a look at it then do so ... tme is not a factor for the ones who are dedicated *1

<sarcasm>and secondly ... it probably takes more time to fix the bugs from the other clients then doing it from scratch so praise to another choir about that song my frind *2 </sarcasm>

*1 - But you are doing it for the users. 99.999% of the users are not dedicated. :D If you are doing it only for you, fine.

*2 - MAY be true, but when fixing bugs from other clients you are inheriting and at the same time creating new knowledge in progression. If everyone was doing everything alone, now we would be still in the tribal communism. As learning starts from school and from some things already known, so should be in life, IMhO. :D

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0