Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
toddtrow27

Getting kicked offline

10 posts in this topic

Hiya all! I've had this problem for a while now, first on XP then on Vista. I thought it might be something in the OS but it continued after a new HD and Vista. Basically, I get totally kicked offline, so that the only fix is to unplug the modem for a few secs. This can happen after 10 minutes or after 8 hours, or anywhere in between, it's different each time. I'm usually conected to about 15 hubs, I can DL fine with mirc, but not with Apex. I'm on a wired connection, with a netgear router. I'm using passive mode, not sure if that's involved or not. Solid comp, 3.0ghz, 1GB mem, onboard nic. My other problem is sometimes when using Apex, my webpages will slow to a crawl.

Any ideas?

Thanx in advance!

Hi,

1. Are you encountering the same problem with torrents, eMule or similar P2P appz? Can you pass in Active mode with Apex Guide ?

2. About the slowing down while browsing - try the limiter. 5-10KB should be enough for normal browsing.

Hi,

1. Are you encountering the same problem with torrents, eMule or similar P2P appz? Can you pass in Active mode with Apex Guide ?

2. About the slowing down while browsing - try the limiter. 5-10KB should be enough for normal browsing.

If I remember correctly, the reason I went with Apex was because DC++ was doing the same thing (and with a different router, so I sort of ruled out a router issue). As far as other p2p, I tried utorrent and I noticed a slowdown in browsing, but I didn't test it long enough to see if it kicked me offline. I haven't tried active mode yet, but could active/passive mode be responsible for complete kickoff?

If I remember correctly, the reason I went with Apex was because DC++ was doing the same thing (and with a different router, so I sort of ruled out a router issue). As far as other p2p, I tried utorrent and I noticed a slowdown in browsing, but I didn't test it long enough to see if it kicked me offline. I haven't tried active mode yet, but could active/passive mode be responsible for complete kickoff?

Hm, actually it can't, but it is an obligation for each user to stay in active mode, if possible, in order to allow other passive users to download from him. Because if we all switch to passive mode "just because it is easier", no one will be able to download. And if this switching solves your major problem, fine. :) If not, please let us know.

Other reasons may be ISP related, have you tried to check both boxes "Send garbage on..." in File > Settings > Advanced?

Hm, actually it can't, but it is an obligation for each user to stay in active mode, if possible, in order to allow other passive users to download from him. Because if we all switch to passive mode "just because it is easier", no one will be able to download. And if this switching solves your major problem, fine. :) If not, please let us know.

Other reasons may be ISP related, have you tried to check both boxes "Send garbage on..." in File > Settings > Advanced?

Yeah, I've wanted to try active for some time now, but just never got around to playing with it (laziness). On this last go round I did try the Send Garbage boxes, to no avail. The thing that really gets me is, how can software phisically kick me offline like that...I've never heard of that before. I've been booted from hubs in DC, chats (yahoo), mirc, lost web pages, the usual stuff like that, but never to the point of totally losing my internet connection. Could it be that a person I'm DLing from, or maybe uploading to, is somehow causing it?

Yeah, I've wanted to try active for some time now, but just never got around to playing with it (laziness). On this last go round I did try the Send Garbage boxes, to no avail. The thing that really gets me is, how can software phisically kick me offline like that...I've never heard of that before. I've been booted from hubs in DC, chats (yahoo), mirc, lost web pages, the usual stuff like that, but never to the point of totally losing my internet connection. Could it be that a person I'm DLing from, or maybe uploading to, is somehow causing it?

software will not kick you offline.... well... shouldn't and I can't think of a case where it has the power to do that. I'm assuming you have a large enough bandwidth to handle a hub transfer or torrent transfer... if your getting chocked it sounds like Zob said isp related. If you do any online gaming how is that? any problems with that (or any none file sharing soft)? The only other thing it sounds like is a virus in general which disables your lan connection (though this I doubt but is plausible).

software will not kick you offline.... well... shouldn't and I can't think of a case where it has the power to do that. I'm assuming you have a large enough bandwidth to handle a hub transfer or torrent transfer... if your getting chocked it sounds like Zob said isp related. If you do any online gaming how is that? any problems with that (or any none file sharing soft)? The only other thing it sounds like is a virus in general which disables your lan connection (though this I doubt but is plausible).

I thought that too, that software shouldn't be able to do it alone. I don't do any online gaming, and have no probs with anything else (webpages with lots of images, DLing from a site, file transfers from mirc are perfect, etc.). Also, I tried going active, and it worked fine the first time, but the next time it hung on 'Connecting' for the downloads. I tweaked the various settings (in Apex and my router) in various combinations to no avail. As for the virus, I kinda doubt that too, a brand new install of Vista on a brand new HD ruled that out for me, also the fact that it's only Apex that disables the connection.

This one's a tough one! :)

I thought that too, that software shouldn't be able to do it alone. I don't do any online gaming, and have no probs with anything else (webpages with lots of images, DLing from a site, file transfers from mirc are perfect, etc.). Also, I tried going active, and it worked fine the first time, but the next time it hung on 'Connecting' for the downloads. I tweaked the various settings (in Apex and my router) in various combinations to no avail. As for the virus, I kinda doubt that too, a brand new install of Vista on a brand new HD ruled that out for me, also the fact that it's only Apex that disables the connection.

This one's a tough one! :P

The more you describe this the more it sounds ISP related, I would suggest if you are able to go to this DC hub::

techgeeks.geekgalaxy.com:1411

and speak to one of the Apex Admins on there live so that they can see what is going on from their side as well.

on a side note... And I'm looking to Crise, Lee on this one I guess is how is Apex running on vista in general (aka fully supported?)?

I know you said it's happened in both XP and now Vista... but going active may have fixed it in XP normally so I'm not sure if its completly compatwith Vista. So ya, go to the techgeeks hub and chat with one of the Apex admins, they are really quite helpful there and might be able to aide in getting you online.

The more you describe this the more it sounds ISP related, I would suggest if you are able to go to this DC hub::

techgeeks.geekgalaxy.com:1411

and speak to one of the Apex Admins on there live so that they can see what is going on from their side as well.

on a side note... And I'm looking to Crise, Lee on this one I guess is how is Apex running on vista in general (aka fully supported?)?

I know you said it's happened in both XP and now Vista... but going active may have fixed it in XP normally so I'm not sure if its completly compatwith Vista. So ya, go to the techgeeks hub and chat with one of the Apex admins, they are really quite helpful there and might be able to aide in getting you online.

Cool, thanx for the tip (and the help), I'll check out that hub and see what I can find. As for Vista, Apex seems to run smooth as silk on it, I've tried various features and haven't run into a problem yet. As a matter of fact, other than three things (that I knew in advance wouldn't) not working yet, I'm totally in love with Vista.

special thanx to bigcanuck for the props on Techgeeks, toddtrow27 feel free to join Techgeeks, and look for me. if I am around then will be glad to help. I am usually on during afternoons and evenings CST (GMT-6). and yes. I have seen this happen before, however it is seldom, and usually associated with actual socket errors. moreso with downloads or uploads than simple chatting or connections. many times, it will happen with hubsofts (actual hub software to host the chats) but can also happen when your network settings re-route the IP. meaning, in your client, you are putting in a domain name, that points back to your IP, and goes to a different computer. this happens often with netgear and crashes them. atleast on all mine. I had to stop using domain names for my client when in active, and use my actual external IP. not sure if this helps or not. I do both hosting, and clients on now 13 machines, I think. 4 of them being dc servers. so it took me a long time to sort my network out. it seems if you are in huge hubs, with small bandwidth and a crappy modem this does happen also, I used a 2wire modem, and crashed every time, but used an efficient networks el cheapo and works sweet.. hope this helps.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0