yosifcuervo

Timeouts on some connections

11 posts in this topic

I have been using Peerweb and Apex for a long time with no problems - I usually have many connections open at once. Recently I installed a wireless router, set up port forwarding, etc, and my DC++ works but it will only download a few files at once. Over 90% of my connections are coming back 'Connection Timeout.' My search works fine. Lets say I try to match queue on 50 lists at once - normally they would all come up right away (my cable connection is quite fast - over 1 MB/s), but instead I am lucky if even one or two connect. I thought it was the crappy router, but I have since tried with 2 others and I get the exact same problem. Plugging the modem straight back into the PC fixes it every time, but I need the wireless. Does anyone have any thoughts? I am at my wits end, I know things are set up properly because the connection IS working, it just can't seem to handle the volume of connections I am accustomed to making. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have been using Peerweb and Apex for a long time with no problems - I usually have many connections open at once. Recently I installed a wireless router, set up port forwarding, etc, and my DC++ works but it will only download a few files at once. Over 90% of my connections are coming back 'Connection Timeout.' My search works fine. Lets say I try to match queue on 50 lists at once - normally they would all come up right away (my cable connection is quite fast - over 1 MB/s), but instead I am lucky if even one or two connect. I thought it was the crappy router, but I have since tried with 2 others and I get the exact same problem. Plugging the modem straight back into the PC fixes it every time, but I need the wireless. Does anyone have any thoughts? I am at my wits end, I know things are set up properly because the connection IS working, it just can't seem to handle the volume of connections I am accustomed to making. Any ideas would be appreciated.

curious to what router your using, as I have Apex paired with an D link 524 with port forwarding and it works perfectly

:blushing:

as well are there any other errors you are getting with it? all? like are you able to ping the server your connecting two behind your router fine?

And do some tracert, you may see where exactly you loose most of the time/packets.

Right now I am using a dlink dl-604 (an old wired ethernet router), and the other was a new TrendNet tew-452brp wireless router. The dlink is pretty old, but the Trendnet is new and though it was cheap it got good reviews which is why I bought it. I don't get why neiether of them are port-forwarding properly - its not like its hard to set up. I have done so with friends' PCs many times, always with success. Does anyone know of any XP services that would be causing this if disabled? I have many unneeded services disabled, but have ran searches and can't find a connection between any of them and my problem.

Well I've discovered the problem - my SURFboard cable modem is also secretly a router, and because I am chaining 2 routers, port-forwarding will not work. Because my ISP supplies me 2 IP's, the solution is to get a switch, and hook my PC into one port and the wireless router into another port. I have never used a switch before, right now I am deciding between getting a $15 one or a $40 one - if the $40 one gives me better speeds I think it will be worth it.

Because my ISP supplies me 2 IP's, the solution is to get a switch, and hook my PC into one port and the wireless router into another port.

Cant u do that with 2 lan cards ?

My Trendnet actually has some option "My ISP provides more than one IP", so don't hurry to run into expenses...

post-65-1163179958_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zlobomir

Cant u do that with 2 lan cards ?

No, the modem has only one LAN output.

As for the 2 IP addresses, I don't think my router has that feature, and it wouldn't matter anyways because I would still have 2 routers chained together and port-forwarding would not work. This is an intentional move by my ISP - they give em a modem with a built-in router and then upload firmware which makes it impossible to access the modem's router functions, and shut off its firewall. By doing this, when the modem is connected to a second router, all normal internet functions work, however advanced P2P apps which require port forwarding are doomed to fail. Pretty sneaky, eh?

No, the modem has only one LAN output.

As for the 2 IP addresses, I don't think my router has that feature, and it wouldn't matter anyways because I would still have 2 routers chained together and port-forwarding would not work. This is an intentional move by my ISP - they give em a modem with a built-in router and then upload firmware which makes it impossible to access the modem's router functions, and shut off its firewall. By doing this, when the modem is connected to a second router, all normal internet functions work, however advanced P2P apps which require port forwarding are doomed to fail. Pretty sneaky, eh?

But not too sneaky. Just CAREFULLY! flash the firmware again with the latest available on the site manufacturer. Remember to write down all the settings, of course.

Edited by Zlobomir

But not too sneaky. Just CAREFULLY! flash the firmware again with the latest available on the site manufacturer. Remember to write down all the settings, of course.

From what I understand it doesn't work that way with my modem - unless I mod the modem it will only accept flash updates from the ISP. That is the problem - when first connected, my ISP uploaded a firmware which disallows me to access the modem's router functions (going to the ip for the modem gives me blank screen in FireFox and a 'Page Not Found' in IE. I'm just gonna buy a switch - hey can anyone give me advice on whether I should get the $15 Dynex one or the $40 Linksys? The Linksys gets rave reviews, and if it will give me a performance boost over the cheap-o I will take it. After this headache, I don't want to settle for anything less than maximum speed so I can stop fretting over it.

Hm, of course Linksys sounds far more reputable, but let me doubt that they come from one and the same factory in China (no hard feelings to the Chinese goods, just the facts, right? :) ).

So, in order this not to be a good for nothing post, I would suggest you to try both (if there is any money-back option) and choose the one which suites you best. Also you could borrow and try with a friend's one, you said that you have set up many such devices. And if you happen to have some old box, even 486, and like to experiment, you could plug in a 2+ LAN cards and play with the Freesco... But I guess you just prefer to buy a switch and finish the story.

P. S. Are you sure there is no way to s*rew the ISP? Have you tried accessing through the WAN and the LAN ports?

Edited by Zlobomir