MiRaGe

[Bug][0.2.2] favorites.xml dissapeares

5 posts in this topic

so, this happened on my pc and on my girlfriend's pc too ....

after i close apexdc++ and restart it (maybe after shutting down the whole computer or without that) the client connects only to the default one hub (yours ;) ) .... and all the others seem to be dissapeared.

i found a favorites.xml.tmp file in the settings directory, so i made a second copy of it, maybe it'll happen again. when i copy it back, it's normal again and everything works smoothly. but if i don't make that second copy of it, it'll be overwritten by the default favorites.xml (which contains that one hub only) and all my favorite hubaddresses and usernames and passwords are lost.

once i've lost every address and password under pwdc++, so this problem was there too.

so, i'd like to tell you about this bug, and would like to advise to everyone to make a copy of your favorites.xml in another name (mine is favorites2.xml ;) )

Here is how saving files works...

It takes what it sees in favorite hubs (ie. all favorite hubs), and writes them to file named favorites.xml.tmp then it deletes favorites.xml, and renames favorites.xml.tmp to favorites.xml. (this way it's ensured that any changes you've done to favorite hubs will be saved on close)

So if you see favorites.xml.tmp in your directory and no favorites.xml, that means only that the renaming of the file failed for some reeason and you can manually do the renaming afterwards...

Maybe the info can be saved on the fly, every X mins (like in Word for ex.), so some power failure will not destroy the data...

Edited by Zlobomir

Maybe the info can be saved on the fly, every X mins (like in Word for ex.), so some power failure will not destroy the data...

that's what i was thinkin about, cuz as is said before .... once i've lost all my infos because of this :)