Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jacen

[Support] Segmented downloading

8 posts in this topic

This will probably be seen as a strange question, but how do I disable the segmented downloading feature in apex dc? The reason I'm asking is because its not allowed on the hub I'm using...

-Jacen

This will probably be seen as a strange question, but how do I disable the segmented downloading feature in apex dc? The reason I'm asking is because its not allowed on the hub I'm using...

-Jacen

queue page in settings :)

hub can't detect whether you use segmented downloading so there's no reason to disable it :) just enable Emulation :)

I'm new to DC period. I've read most of this forum, but the reply to turn of segmented downloading was not clear enough for me.

I would like to turn it off. I lose my place when downloading from a busy person everytime the client stops and watis.

I can find no place on the settings/queue page that says turn off segmented downloading.

Please advise

Fia

I should add to my last post. I am using emulation on one hub and not on another. On both of them I am having this problem if the file is unique and no others are sharing the file. I am using 0.2.2. Running under Win2KPro.

I have certainly lost slots when the client went into waiting mode or more than several occasions. One of the people I had to wait for a full day for a slot.

I am not sure what the purpose of stopping every 1 MB of download serves. Until I turned off auto the client was getting 1MB of every file at the beginning and then going back to get the next 1MB of a file.

I am not used to DC in any form, so please bear with me and try to give me an answer I can understand. I am very familiar with sending/receiving files on IRC, ftp networks and usenet.

I'm not sure, since I didn't really test it yet, but the following option sounds to me like it would do the trick:

Open Settings, e.g. via the "File" menu or via the "Settings..." button in the toolbar, navigate to "Downloads" > "Queue" and select it. Then on the right side there's an option named "Manual settings of number of segments". Check this setting and enter a '1' in the number field. So to my understanding, when setting segments numbers for all files to '1' they shouldn't be downloaded in segments.

Also, when you are already downloading the file, you can open your "Download queue" (via the toolbar button, via CTRL+D or the "Transfer" menu). Then browse to the file and right-click it. There is an option "Max number of segments", you could set the lowest number possible (for me "1 segment" was not available, don't know why). Though, this setting is per file, and you'd have to repeat it for any file you need to.

Actually, there have been some discussions in other threads about if it's possible at all to "lose" one's slot between the segments. I guess you have given another example that it indeed might happen...

Set the segments number to 1

This morning I queued up an album that had 2 sources present for. I waited 2 hours for a slot and finally got one. I was able to get only 2 MB from this person. ApexDC++ proceeded to get the first 1MB, stopped and went to 'waiting mode' started the next 1MB, stopped after it in 'waiting' mode and I lost that slot.

In addition two people I've been getting from ask me why I keep starting and stopping my downloads and stated that if I keep doing this they are going to disconnect me each time I try to queue up.

I need to shut this off or get another client. I would prefer to shut it off rather than wait while 600 Gig of files index into a new program.

Does anyone have a solution?

Set the segments number to 1

This morning I queued up an album that had 2 sources present for. I waited 2 hours for a slot and finally got one. I was able to get only 2 MB from this person. ApexDC++ proceeded to get the first 1MB, stopped and went to 'waiting mode' started the next 1MB, stopped after it in 'waiting' mode and I lost that slot.

In addition two people I've been getting from ask me why I keep starting and stopping my downloads and stated that if I keep doing this they are going to disconnect me each time I try to queue up.

I need to shut this off or get another client. I would prefer to shut it off rather than wait while 600 Gig of files index into a new program.

Does anyone have a solution?

why not see: settings > queue > Enable multisource, set to disabled :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0