Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldindian

linux users are becoming more of a factor than most think

5 posts in this topic

I know that most windoz users have become quite lazy in the years that we have been using it. But there is a growing number of people who are in fact getting fed up with the price of installing windows, which will soon be going up in price with the new version of xp. I know, I know it can be hacked or at least xp can as it stands right now, but make one mistake and you will be busted.

For this reason alone more of are looking to linux, and with a OS such Ubuntu linux it is getting eaisier to use than it ever has been in the past, so lets not poo poo those of us that wish to have a functional linux version of dc++, something that will work as well if not better than M$.

I would love to see somone write a good p2p client for linux, if I were not so damned old I would be into writing this stuff myself, but alas it is way to late for me to learn anther language, so all you brilliant minds out there make a name for yourselves, and come up with a killer version of Apex for linux.....You can do it.

Peace before it's to late

jeff

The new windows will be called 'Vista'.And in my country u can make a thousand mistakes and not get locked up.I think there was a topic how to run Apex on linux (in this forum) so please make a search.

Personally I'd prefer linux (kubuntu x64) if it wasnt for games , some programs and games.

But afcourse making a pure linux client will be good.

PS: There are other p2p clients out there expect dc.

There are plans for apex to develop a linux client, as you should be able to tell by the forums. However it must be noted that this will not be an overnight job. DC++->SDC++->ApexDC has taken and lot of people many years to develop a good looking, feature rich stable(ish) program. Developing an equivelent for the linux platform will take time. the first release is not likly to offer the same amount of fetures that the win one dose.

It is worth mentioning that there are linux and java DC++ clients however unsatable. there are also programms, as ifmn stated, for many other p2p networks. FTP and newsgroups are also still very popular. it is also worth mentioning that VMware is now free so you could always run a VMware machine for your windows apps.

Edited by balder

The only thing linux world is missing is a op client for dc the rest is fixed LinuxDC++ kicks ass a descent op client thats the key :P

Althou u can run ApexDC under crossover office :) i tried :P but the results were not stable all of the times :P

Unfortunatly, foobar2000, Directory Opus, and a few lesser applications keep me on Windows anyway. However, you are right, and we intend to release a DC client for Linux, but as has been stated, it will not happen overnight. It will be a seperate program and cannot have all the features which ApexDC++ currently has. This is opensource software, and we don't have the resources to speed up the delivery of the client, although we do encourage anyone to help out on the project if they can. If you help develope either the main client, or the Linux or OPs versions in which we intend to bring out then it may be worth contacting a member of staff.

We get told of the demand for the client(s), but you have to understand that we are trying to do our best, you're welcome to help.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0