Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ribokle

Emoticons---Dont work.......

11 posts in this topic

Hey, has anyone noticed that when we use different emoticons like the Skype emoticon pack.....

Then if the other users dont have this pack enabled or dont have the pack at all, they dont recieve the emoticon and only the symbol.(in case the symbol matches other emoticon packs then that is displayed)

Can this feature not be added that regardless of the pack i am using it shows up right on other users panel...

Ok it would use some bandwidth but it would be worth while in expressing during chats :):D .......

This would be complicated, the only kind of way I can see of doing this would involve more useless symbols for clients that don;t have emoticons, and would also require the other user tohave the emoticon too. All you need to do is have one emoticon massive emoticon pack which everyone uses... that;d be the simplest way, although I can think of a slightly less simple way which would be more useful.

This would be complicated, the only kind of way I can see of doing this would involve more useless symbols for clients that don;t have emoticons, and would also require the other user tohave the emoticon too. All you need to do is have one emoticon massive emoticon pack which everyone uses... that;d be the simplest way, although I can think of a slightly less simple way which would be more useful.

Ya I see the problem but was specific for apex dc++ only....

I don't know how the messengers like yahoo or Msn or Icq etc. work but they are quite efficient in using third party emoticons.....

But still the Interface is quite cool and i like the software....

Also animated emoticons would be a huge plus...

I am going to distribute a huge single emoticon pack as you suggested.....

As we are a closed community(i.e. work in intranet rather than internet....u see as our internet is blocked by firewalls) it would not matter much.....

And yes Radox,s pack contaon quite a lot of emoticons. Thanx for them.

Thanx for the reply :):D:) :)

It could be done like some notification which the client will send to the hub. Then, when some other client recognizes that it doesn't have such pack, it may propose downloading it (like Win updates). But it seems too complex.

If everybody uses ApexDC++ and uses the emoticon pack it uses by default, they will see the emoticons. It is the same as MSN, yahoo, etc. If you use an alternative, such as trillian you won't see some of the emoticons and the ones you do see will be different. Now though MSN has custom emoticons, and the other users just download them "on-the-fly", however this is not practical to implement as you may have 2000 users on a hub and whether it is you or the server which uploads this to every user, that's a lot of bandwidth needed for just one emoticon.

If everybody uses ApexDC++ and uses the emoticon pack it uses by default, they will see the emoticons. It is the same as MSN, yahoo, etc. If you use an alternative, such as trillian you won't see some of the emoticons and the ones you do see will be different. Now though MSN has custom emoticons, and the other users just download them "on-the-fly", however this is not practical to implement as you may have 2000 users on a hub and whether it is you or the server which uploads this to every user, that's a lot of bandwidth needed for just one emoticon.

And here again the request for users acting like proxies would come handy...

Ok what we are talking here is customisation. One way out as Radox has sugggested is using a large emoticon pack which practically shows the emotion you want to portray. This emoticon may not be the same as the user wanted to show but gives the basic idea(as Radox pack contains most of the commands used in other packs).

Another way out could be tagging the emoticons so if i use "A" emoticon it searches for it in others client and displays(if not found then the custimisation web page address could be displayed to download the additional emoticons pack if one wants to). This all could be done on the client side. So basically it would not use more bandwidth(except for the additional tag that is sent for the emoticon...).

So I think its just the matter of making the client intelligent enough to distinguish between the emoticons to be displayed...which i think could be done through tagging....

I am saying abt this specifically for apex and not other clients(so if one uses other client he may see only the tag and command..)

In-text emoticons is stu**diest idea, what I know...

Exist normal TEXT SMILES, but...

...for example I'm DISABLE showing this USELESS images in text...

If somebody want to see all possible images - install RadoX pack and don't bother Apex programmers!

Emoticons synchronization - absolutely useless function. Exists only ONE reason synchronize emoticons - if pack of icons ONLY ONE... But in DC implemented ability use MORE THAN ONE pack...

For DC exist only one partial resolve - using at one time more than one emoticons pack. What I mean? If pack 1 have icons for *a*, *b* and *c* and pack 2 have icons for *b*, *c* and *d* and if active pack 1 we will see next:

1. If somebody type *a* we see icon from pack 1.

2. If somebody type *b* or *c* we also see icon from pack 1.

3. If somebody type *d* - we see emoticon from pack 2.

If we make active pack 2 we see next:

1. If somebody type *a* we see icon from pack 1.

2. If somebody type *b* or *c* we see icon from pack 2.

3. If somebody type *d* - we see emoticon from pack 2.

It's only one easy and logical way to resolve problem.

Also user may have ability to arrange packs in list (for automatic merging).

This really isn't a problem, this is normal in chatting/IMing clients. There is no problem with this. The whole proxying thing is unrealistic, there's no way I would want my bandwidth used for something as meaningless as this, to serve 2000 users with a little emoticon... maybe people actually downloading files from me would be a better use of my bandwidth. All you need is a big emoticon pack, featuring the emoticons from every pack... but that's rather pointless, and that's fairly similar to what Lain was suggesting.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0