waltzbannon

Guidance regarding hosting dc for first time

2 posts in this topic

I am trying to create a dc hub on ubuntu 14.04. I have installed opendchub-0.8.3. Since, I am new to this application, can anyone of you please guide me through the following:

1. Since, both windows and linux users will access this hub, is apex dc++ client compatible with opendchub? If not, can you please suggest clients for both windows and linux users?

2. I have created the hub on linux machine with dhcp address, in which case, which IP address can be used to connect to the hub? The hub port number is assigned as 5555.

3. Is there any documentation on how to manage opendchub?

1. ApexDC++ should work with any hub using NMDC or ADC protocol. It's great for Windows, not publicly available for Linux yet. In Linux, I would recommend EiskaltDC++.

2. If the IP address of the PC is statically assigned dynamic IP (like you said, you are using DHCP but the IP address it assigns will be always the same), then there should not be a problem.

How users connect depends on their location. If they are on the same LAN as the hub, they will use LAN IP with port 5555. If the users are outside your network (like on internet) they will use your public IP address and port 5555. For the latter case, you need to forward that port to the PC running the hub. The process of doing that is similar to how active mode is set in DC clients. Also you would need a static IP address on the hub PC or have it assigned via DHCP (like you already have) but always the same otherwise your port forwarding will most likely break after some time.

3. Never heard of opendchub but google yielded some results such as this telnet interface. On the web page of opendchub they say it supports administration via chat in DC but couldn't find a list of commands either.