eperb12

How do I disable segmented UPLOADS

4 posts in this topic

My share files are on external hard drives.

I've heard of problems with them getting overused with segmented downloads, and by association, i'm assuming segmented uploads as well.

Is there a way to disable segmented uploads so the hard drives don't wear out?

Also, is there a way to prevent a user from downloading? mostly i've had people download several terabytes off me without sharing anything. I'd rather let people who share anything, have download priority first.

You can only disable segmented uploads by disabling segmented downloads, I believe.

For your second question: there is no way of banning a user from your share. But if you only visit hubs with some minimum share size, then you can be sure that no people with empty share will be downloading from you.

To make a statement on this, the end point of the requested chunk could in theory be used to detect segmented uploads but to my knowledge that is not done, regardless of settings about segmented downloads.

What you ask is not feasible or healthy for the network in my opinion and would also result in impairing your download experience in the end. If you have a specific scenario where all manner of segmented transfers is undesirable for everyone then for those scenarios it could be worth to consider but for now the good of the many outweighs the benefit of the few (tip: if you worry, do not share from a media that is prone to be worn by extreme use, such as SSD, even though for regular use with a good quality SSD it is still a non-issue regardless in my opinion)

As for blocking users, here is a link to a statement on that: http://forums.apexdc...ter/#entry30487

My share files are on external hard drives.

I've heard of problems with them getting overused with segmented downloads, and by association, i'm assuming segmented uploads as well.

There is no reason why any HDD/SSD should be overrused by using segmented downloading/uploading. Files are read/written by blocks which happens regardless the segmented thing. Also, any good OS caches data in memory (to avoid many reads/writes) and any good HDD/SSD caches data in its internal cache (to avoid many reads/writes leading to the performance degradation). So in the reality, there is no difference whether you read/write e.g. 1 MB with or without segmented downloading/uploading.