Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shikari

Is it possible to host a custom file list?

8 posts in this topic

I use a LAN DC hub at college, and a friend started working on a project where he can pull down everyone's file lists, check for changes, and produce a custom file list that contains all new files added to the network in the past 7 days. We can then go to grab it from his website and open it in DC, giving us a list of all of the new content. However, this is a bit tedious so I was thinking about other solutions to make the process easier.

I've set up a new account 'NewStuff' and I want to run it on my server, basically just hosting the file list with all of the new content. That way, all anyone needs to do is get filelist from this dummy account and they'll have all of this weeks new content, without ever having to leave DC. However, I'm finding it difficult to find a way of sharing the filelist without actually having the files.

I realise this borders on share faking which puts me on shaky ground, but I am actually trying to use it for good instead of evil! If you can tell me any method of getting this to work i'd be incredibly grateful, be it using ApexDC or something completely different.

Cheers!

The more conventional approach to new content would be to have the script in question generate a list of magnet links, then set up a bot that will deliver said collection of links to the user on request (think +newfiles chat command).

Writing this mobile, so excuse the lack of references and links.

unfortunately the hub is run by the college network admin who sort of take a "if we're not looking it doesn't happen" approach, so the hub runs but we can't change anything to do with it. Unless this is something I could do from user point of view? looking forward to some links!

You don't necessarily need a bot. You could PM a user that lists all the latest new content by PM'ing it with commands. That user could watch main chat for any new content announcements and collect them via LuaPlugin.

It could be possible if you wrote a bot capable of uploading a filelist and nothing more. Shouldn't be that hard imho...

But if such bot already exists, it would be better to use that.

It could be possible if you wrote a bot capable of uploading a filelist and nothing more. Shouldn't be that hard imho...

But if such bot already exists, it would be better to use that.

True, uploading tailored filelist is very much possible, but because of how clients behave when adding files to queue from filelists this method is fundamentally inferior to magnet links.

What i mean by this is of course that when file is added through filelist, the user who "owns" said filelist gets added as file source... and when there is a source the client does not search for tth alternates immediately, so everything would operate with a notable delay at the very least.

alright well the magnet idea sounds good, can you point me to some resources on how to get started with lua plugins? i haven't used lua before but i'm keen to give it a go.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0