Blackice011

Anonymous DC++ and privacy

5 posts in this topic

Hi, im an avid ApexDC++ user and just like many of us i have engaged in uploading files. In most countries the uploading (and in some countries even downloading) of copyrighted material is illegal. I am aware that copyright protection organizations do not bother monitoring users with a small share, but some users actively share terabytes of (possibly copyrighted) data. The IP addresses of most ApexDC++ users are public. This raises a few questions:

• Can copyright protection organizations like the US-based RIAA, monitor ApexDC++ users, and could they gain enough information to go to court with it?
  • If so, what are the chances that copyright protection organizations would monitor me?
  • Is it possible to use DC++ anonymously? Like hiding my IP address or using 'fake' IP address.

• How do you feel about privacy when using DC++, do you think you're safe?

I welcome any comments, thanks for reading.

KenethZH likes this

Firstly, don't use ApexDC for breaking your country's laws. I will not give support to those activities and as such aren't interested in hiding IP's for people like that.

If a user is found sharing copyrighted content the RIAA can by all means take them to court in America if they own copyrights. If you're frightened about privacy, you can setup ApexDC with Tor or just stick to trusted private hubs. :)

Hmm thanks i'll look into Tor, i hope it wont impair my bandwidth too much.

Can you help me find private hubs? I read about them but i don't know how to find them.

I am asking questions about RIAA monitoring because of general concern. Also I am sure that many people infringe copyrights by unknowingly uploading something illegal. If they want to, they can get you.

Anyway, you say you wouldn't support IP hiding because it can be used to help people who break copyright laws? I never said i was gonna use it for that intent because that is illegal. But are you aware that 99% (rough estimate) of all uploading activity in DC++ is illegal in most countries? ApexDC already is 'the pinnacle of (illegal) file-sharing'. So hiding IP's is not a big deal, especially not if we're solely talking about protection of privacy.

Can you help me find private hubs? I read about them but i don't know how to find them

That's it ! Let's start a "Private Hubs" topic :)

Private hubs are calleed Private because the entry into them is for registered users only, and mostly their address is not even in the hublist. Most of these hubs specialize for some kind of content and they permit you in them if you share enough of such content.