pR0Ps

Chatting features

9 posts in this topic

I've been using EiskaltDC++ on Linux for a while and a couple of the features in it that I really miss in ApexDC++ are the expanding text box and its username tab-completion.

The expanding text box is pretty easy to explain: Whenever you type a line in the chat box followed by SHIFT+ENTER to start a new line, the text box expands so you can see all the lines you have typed. It also works if you paste a multi-line bit of text in. Once you press enter to submit the text it returns to its normal size.

The username tab-completion is done a little more intuitively in EiskaltDC++. Instead of cycling through names by pressing tab over and over, it displays a list of all users that match the typed text as soon as you press tab. You can then press tab/up/down to select the username you want and hit enter to confirm. Also, it would be nice if the name tab-completion worked in PMs as well as mainchat.

Examples: http://img89.imagesh...apexdcideas.png

Overall, I think that these features would be excellent additions to ApexDC++, please give them some thought.

Our text box expands as well... though you have to enable that behavior (it is buried in settings > advanced > experts only > max resize lines, I think).

Don't ask me why I choose to hide it under there, because I honestly can't remember...

The tab completion is nice, but surely it's not more productive. You have to hit more keys in order to get to a required username. Whereas the current tab completion method requires you just to hit the same key multiple times.

That is true, but in my experience, it is faster. Instead of a press tab, compare cycle, it would be a tab, find, select. Yes, EiskaltDC++'s method is slower by one keystroke, however, if the user you want to pick isn't the first user displayed (and in large hubs it usually isn't) it's faster (for me anyway, I'm assuming most people's brains work the same way) to pick the name out of a list rather than to repeatedly hit tab and check if the name is correct.

how many times does that client have to be named in here ?

kinda disrespectful to the developers here that escatdc have to be promoted on everyone elses forums...

And why not? That client has a lot of "user-friendly" features. Nobody tries to promoting it here. I don't even use it, I just tried it once and found a lot of good features but it also lacks features which I like in Apex. Why not to use another client as example if somebody wants to explain what kind of new feature he would like to have implemented.

@topic: Tab-completion - please be honest and tell how quickly you typing TAB when cycling thru nicks and how many times you pass that nick so you had to do another cycle - which means more TAB hits. Me many times! :)

cause this is not that client forum how hard is that to get ?

@topic: Tab-completion - please be honest and tell how quickly you typing TAB when cycling thru nicks and how many times you pass that nick so you had to do another cycle - which means more TAB hits. Me many times! :)

True, many times... :)

@Toast: Be reasonable. I was testing out EiskaltDC++ to see how stable it was because I am in need of a good Mac client and wished that ApexDC++ had some of it's features. I'm not saying "Neener neener, EiskaltDC++ is better" I'm saying that I like some of it's features and would love to see them implemented in ApexDC++. That's what this forum is for, suggestions on how to make ApexDC++ better. You would have me post this somewhere else?

@Peetboy: I do that ALL the time, that's another reason I'm suggesting this.