Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
momcilosystem

A little problem after 1.3.5 update

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I've been using ApexDC++ for a long time and it always performed excellent for me.

I love using it, I love bragging about using it and I love you guys! :)

Anyway, to get to my point - my downloads are being downloaded in random fragments. Let me explain myself: I download a lot of instructional videos and very, very often I need to watch them right away. That wasn't problem before update since it was downloading from the beginning of a file and continued with next segment right after first one. So I use preview and just sit back and 'stream' that video.

After the update in question my downloads are starting at random places in file - it starts at 50% for example and downloads that segment, then it goes at 90% and continues there, and so on. Even if downloading from one user/source.

I thought that that user doesn't have entire file downloaded yet and I am transferring parts that he has but then it happened again and again and again. So I thought it would be time to ask the people behind ApexDC++, just in case that this is idiotic problem (enable Continuous download in settings :) ) and I am idiot enough to overlook solution.

Thanks in advance.

I think this is the new feature which helps segment spread among the users optimally; however, I don't know if it can be turned off in settings, most probably not...

Yeah, it's in our changelog. We've already set first and last segments as priority for videos in our development code. I agree that not everybody may want to download this way, but it helps speed up the distribution of the file must faster.

Maybe we could introduce an option to prioritise sequential segments. But it still won't allow you to stream straight away, but should be able to do after an hour or so.

Thanks Mek and Lee for your replies.

I am not sure I understood exactly what changed and why it would be no longer possible to 'stream' videos. If you had extra time, maybe you could dumb it down for me? :)

Or for that matter, what do you mean 'after an hour or so' - if we are talking about movies then what you are probably saying is that I need to download about two thirds before I can watch it? Correct me if I am wrong.

Here's a newbie question: can you make an option to use old style downloading? :)

I mean it will also be more than welcome to have that option to prioritise sequential segments you were talking about if above cannot be done.

Anyway, thank you for time you've taken to answer me.

You rock!

Sure. I was saying that prioritising sequential segments should allow you to watch/stream your film before it has finished downloading. It will not allow you to stream straight away, as it will still try to randomise the segments but from the start of the file only. So really, after an hour or so (depending on your download speed), you should have enough to start watching the film.

We can look into an option for 2.0, but we are still working on the code for the time being. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0