Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mek

Allow environment variables

8 posts in this topic

So I tried to make the preconfigured Apex we recommend using on out university network, better - by setting "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\" as the default download directory, and "%TEMP%\" as temporary download directory. However, Apex couldn't recognize that :thumbsup:

Until now, it was set to Program Files and C:\, however, these settings are not bulletproof in most cases because of UAC on Vista/7 (which more and more users are using nowadays). The users then think "it doesn't work" and complain in main chat (sometimes it can be quite time-consuming to navigate them where needed).

Please make the use of environment variables possible. I can set them manually in the DcPlusPlus.xml file and on first launch, they could be replaced by the real paths. What do you think?

I don't think so. I can use only %[APPDATA] or %[PERSONAL] and I need something like %[TEMP] and %[DESKTOP]. If I am mistaken, please correct me.

Any other proposals which could help me solve my problem?

Our university network is going to grow by 30% until the academic year begins, and I would like to have these issues fixed by then for new users :whistling:

Any other proposals which could help me solve my problem?

Our university network is going to grow by 30% until the academic year begins, and I would like to have these issues fixed by then for new users :whistling:

Well for starters at least in my opinion %[PERSONAL] and %[APPDATA] are same as %TEMP% and %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ would be UAC wise.

I tried this:

<DownloadDirectory type="string">%[APPDATA]</DownloadDirectory>

and this:

<TempDownloadDirectory type="string">%[PERSONAL]</TempDownloadDirectory>

just to try it out. No change - couldn't download, exactly as before. Am I missing something here?

I tried this:

<DownloadDirectory type="string">%[APPDATA]</DownloadDirectory>

and this:

<TempDownloadDirectory type="string">%[PERSONAL]</TempDownloadDirectory>

just to try it out. No change - couldn't download, exactly as before. Am I missing something here?

Sorry, you aren't I was... :whistling: been a bit too hot as of late.

Solved temporarily by doing this

<DownloadDirectory type="string">.\Downloads</DownloadDirectory>
and this
<TempDownloadDirectory type="string">.\TempDown</TempDownloadDirectory>

and it works. Much better than C:\ and C:\Program Files...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0