Bhoot

PtokaX refuses connection

12 posts in this topic

I am developing a DC++ client as my summer project. I will use jdcbot framework for that. For setup purposes, I compiled and ran a PtokaX hub on my machine. Then, from the same machine, I tried to connect to that Ptokax hub through ApexDC++. But it gives the error of "Connection closed : Connection refused". I had my openSUSE firewall uninstalled. Still, I get the same error. The settings of the hub include simply the hub name and the hub address.

Could anyone provide me with some solution?

If your hub is running on the same machine as ApexDC++, connect to localhost and not to the "outside" hub address.

If your hub is running on the same machine as ApexDC++, connect to localhost and not to the "outside" hub address.

you mean in ApexDC++ new hub properties..i write "localhost" in hub address? i tried it..didnt work..

Yes. Is your hub running on port 411? If not, you need to specify the port number, for example localhost:56000

Yes. Is your hub running on port 411? If not, you need to specify the port number, for example localhost:56000

umm..i didnt specify any port number while compiling and starting the server for first time. And in its Settings.xml, there are simply two entries of hub address and hub name.

So where do i find the port number of the hub?

Somewhere in PtokaX. I don't know, I don't use it... However, if you didn't set a specific value, it should be the default one, 411.

The last thing to try is to look into PtokaX if it is set to listen on all network interfaces (including the loopback one - locahlost). Again, I don't know where to look there...

And that was my last idea, maybe anyone else might suggest you something...?

Somewhere in PtokaX. I don't know, I don't use it... However, if you didn't set a specific value, it should be the default one, 411.

The last thing to try is to look into PtokaX if it is set to listen on all network interfaces (including the loopback one - locahlost). Again, I don't know where to look there...

And that was my last idea, maybe anyone else might suggest you something...?

Thank you for your help. But I got it running. The mistake I was doing was that I wasnt running PtokaX as root which is required for the default port 411. I wasnt aware that 1-1024 ports are reserved for root.

Its solved now. Thank you for giving your time anyways :P

Why not use Embla instead more updated to the protocols available ?

https://launchpad.net/embla

Edited by Toast

PtokaX is a program for Windows, are you running it under Wine or something when you talk about root...? or am I missing something? :P

PtokaX is a program for Windows, are you running it under Wine or something when you talk about root...? or am I missing something? :P

Actually PtokaX has both implementations : on Windows (ofcourse, with GUI) and Linux (ofcourse, without GUI :w00t: ). I am working on the Linux version as my professor insists on it.

Why not use Embla instead more updated to the protocols available ?

https://launchpad.net/embla

I wasnt aware of that. I did check it out. Advanced Direct Connect Protocol. However, my project focuses on a DC Client rather than the hub. So I would rather stick to DC instead of ADC. Thanks anyways for the advice. If required, I will check it out further.

I wasnt aware of that. I did check it out. Advanced Direct Connect Protocol. However, my project focuses on a DC Client rather than the hub. So I would rather stick to DC instead of ADC. Thanks anyways for the advice. If required, I will check it out further.

Embla isnt just for Hub its for clients also plus it doesnt hurt to support ADC incase u wanna expand later on take it from me since im apart of ADC development