Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
extent

apexdc does not work on both my vista and xp systems-help!

4 posts in this topic

apexdc does not work on both of my computers, in a test I cannot connect fullly to any local or private hubs properly. When I connect, it lists my name in the hub list, but no one else. I have tried apexdc on both my vista laptop (using a wireless router), and on my xp desktop (tested using a usb network adapter for the same wireless router, or landline via pci modem). Nothing works.

I thought it might be a firewall issue at first, so I uninstalled my firewall (Online Armor) completely on both xp and vista systems. I saw no change at all even without any firewall. I have tried manual port forwarding with Comodo firewall, and also passive mode, they dont help either, its the same one user showing in a hub of over 10. I have also tried Zonealarm, Outpost, the list goes on. Nothing works... but something odd happened a couple of times. When I uninstalled Comodo, it started working. Trying to reconnect later on (still with no firewall installed) I was back to only seeing my name in any hub user list! aargh. lol. I do not understand what the problem might be. Sometimes I can see other users in a hub (1 time out of 20), but if I try and download a users list, the speed is less than 1kb per second. All other chat and file programs work flawlessly, but all forms of direct connect do not work.

Both of my systems are using Avira antivirus, Spywareblaster and Malwarebytes. I have tried disabling all of them on both systems, but that does not help at all. There are no other similarities between the two systems. The xp system is using sp3. Does anyone have any ideas as to why apexdc++ does not work? standard dc++, strongdc++ ..... they all have the same problem on both of my machines in being unable to connect properly to any hub whatsoever. I have also tried booting up in safe mode with only networking enabled, but I am unable to connect to the net in this manner for a full test, despite the net working flawlessly in standard mode. ps i have used all forms of dc++ ok in the past with all of the above programs installed over the yrs-the problem may not be down to dc itself, but no form of dc working on any system I try it on is a bit suspect. thanks for any suggestions other than "read the manual!" if possible.

standard dc++, strongdc++ ..... they all have the same problem on both of my machines in being unable to connect properly to any hub whatsoever.
So it isn't an issue of ApexDC itself. From what you wrote I would suspect the ISP throttling DC connections.

thanks-thats what I thought at first.... but dc has worked fine in the past, and more to the point-I added this to my ISPs own forum, and other users (on the same contract) are having no problems at all testing dc out on public hubs, so I just dont understand why its not working on any system here. they are getting good connections, no minute+ long stalling before a hubs user list shows, and are able to download. ive tried uninstalling some of my internet protection (spywareblaster, adaware. ccleaner, malwarebytes etc) but none of that seems to be causing the issue

i have opened ports, and http://connect.majestyc.net/ tells me my systems connections are fine

To ensure it isn't a software configuration error, I would suggest trying out some Linux distribution - preferably a live one (which you start from a DVD) requiring no installation. Then, you install linuxdcpp (a linux DC++ clone, which sucks btw :) ) and test your connection there. If everything is fine, then a reinstall of windows should fix the problem.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0