Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Toast

An ADC Hubsoft Review

6 posts in this topic

So i thought i do a review for the apex forum users about functionality and hub software, its about 8 months since DSHub was discontinued by Pietry.

So what has happened since has there been progress in other hub software or is the hub software still lacking functionality ?

Well i'm gonna try and go threw the the current available softwares out there for the hungry ADC hub owner so they can make the right choice for them.

Lets start by analyzing whats out there for the normal user.

ADCH++

This hub software has basically been an empty shell so far the latest "stable" release is more then an year old and the gui that was in the works seems kinda dead since there is no trace of Sulan and the code but that doesn't mean that the project is dead cause things are brewing in the BZR as of late due to Poys effort to make it into a working hub software for the normal user.

[2009-08-27 00:43] <poy> ADCH++ commands now:

- [00:39] <ADCH++> Available commands:

+ban nick [reason] [minutes] - ban an online user (aliases: +banuser)

+bancid CID [reason] [minutes]

+banip IP [reason] [minutes]

+banmsgre msg-reg-exp [reason] [minutes]

+bannick nick [reason] [minutes]

+bannickre nick-reg-exp [reason] [minutes]

+help

+history [lines] - display main chat messages logged by the hub (aliases: +hist)

+info [nick or CID or IP] - information about a user, or about the hub if no parameter given (aliases: +userinfo, +stats, +hubinfo)

+listbans (aliases: +showbans)

+loadbans (aliases: +reloadbans)

+mass message [level] (aliases: +massmessage)

+regme password

+regnick nick password level

+test

+topic (aliases: +changetopic, +hubtopic, +settopic)

This kinda looks promising but there are some stuff missing still like configuring hub from within cause most hub owners don't wanna open up XML files every time they wanna change stuff also a simple first time configuration tool would be nice for those that aren't that experienced with how to setup a hub software since GUI is still missing.

on the matter of GUI while im on the subject i know that most developers want to include a GUI for their software, i can understand this to a point a GUI takes performance away from the software etc.

But a standalone GUI for those that want a software would be nice that way users could have the best of two world non GUI and GUI like Pietry did with DSHub it can run with GUI or without and looking at the current market of ADC Hubs out there its pretty clear that DSHub still holds its ground after the discontinuation.

ADCH++ has 2 developer: Arnetheduck and Poy and updates are kinda irregular at best since they also maintain DC++, that has effected the popularity of ADCH++ due to lack of maintenance lets hope that this changes for the future if anyone wants to help out and provide missing stuff to ADCH++ such as scripts (lua/python) or ideas for the hub software don't hesitate check out the recent version in BZR and help out.

Edited by Toast

Awesome Toast.

These updates are exactly what I was hoping for. Gives me important info and wets my appetite for the new hubsoft.

If I want to host a small hub on my home pc (running windows), here is what I would like about the hubsoft: a) to be fully featured, yet :) simple and easy to use; c) well-done and clear GUI; d) i kinda like the concept of "hub in a box". A small hub does not eat resources so this is not a key factor if I only have a small hub. Currently YnHub fits best to my taste, YnHub also is pretty optimized and handles many users, if I have a big hub.

Here are some other interesting options (imho) that I like. They are only some of them, just to open your taste... :)

1. YnHub: You can ban a user so that the user can no longer connect to hub (even if the ban has expired) until he updates his share. This is not a shareban, because other users that have the same sharesize can still join the hub...

2. HexHub: you have an option for spam so that if I spam the hub, I receive back my message (thinking I was successful) but the rest of users see nothing. An optional warning can be given in OpChat.

3. HexHub: can detect proxy users even if their clients does not send M:5 in tag.

4. No hub support this yet, however since #REF extensions was implemented in DC++, you can use it to detect and inform in OpChat what is the hub that attacks you (in case of ddos by the means of ctm). Easy to do, as you just have to read what they send when they connect to you... This is even better then the method currently used by HexHub to detect the source of attack (picking up nicks and querying dchublist or qsdchublist).

But, as a key point, the easy of use should be a main feature of the next adc hubsoft. Easy to use but powerfull. Plenty options...

kinda missing the point all of those are nmdc not ADC and the topic clearly says ADC HUBSOFT

1.ynbug first off i dont wanna use crap in a box with a close source project like ynbug totaly lame software

2. hexhub yeah team elite is trying to go straight cant really forgive em for all the **** they pulled in the past let users that like it use i wouldn't touch it with a 30 foot pole

3.ptokax PPK yeah that pretty much says it all PPK (mr i hate anything thats new and scary)

4. verlihub aint got nothing bad to say about verlihub if i had to run a nmdc soft i would probly go with verlihub but i DONT run nmdc

next time lotus stick to the topic if u wanna promote nmdc start your own topic next time...

as for the CTM talk well that is an NMDC issue not an ADC one a ****ty protocol has those problems :) thats whats happen when you reverse engineer a protocol

Edited by Toast

3.ptokax PPK yeah that pretty much says it all PPK (mr i hate anything thats new and scary)

You are wrong, i hate toast because it is stupid and always must comment something that he know nothing about. And when toast like it then i hate it :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0