Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnD

Apex crashes when receiving a PM

5 posts in this topic

Apex 1.2.0 final crashes sometimes (I'd say 30-40% of the time), but always when receiving a PM. I'm on op on one hub, and kickbanning a user from the admin panel sends a text to the main chat window announcing the ban, and that 2 out of 3 times will immediately crash Apex. I've been active for many days without receiving a PM and no crashes. Just now, it's happened several times in a row while chatting with 2 users.

I'm running Vista x64, and have Apex installed to [C:\Internet\Apex 1.2.0b].

The crash is that Vista whites out the Apex window, and adds (not responding) to the title bar. I'm running other versions of DC++ from the same install folder (StrongDC & DC++) and don't have this problem with them, on the same hubs. What's odd is this only happens half the time, but always when receiving text in a non-active window.

Any ideas? Thanks.

UPDATE: I've disabled balloon popups, and disabled all forms of logging, and it still crashes instantly 50% of the time when receiving a PM in a non-visible window. I can have a long PM conversation if that's the tab in focus. No replies from the dev team?

UPDATE: Just did a -ban, which writes text in main chat, and it was fine. Followed with an -skick and instant crash. Closed/returned, did another -ban, visited main chat, returned to the security window, did the -skick, and no crash. Could be I visited main chat inbetween commands, could be a fresh launch of Apex.

UPDATE: I've since moved Apex to the root of the drive [C:\Apex] and updated log and security paths so nothing points to the old location. It still hung after a -ban and -skick, but took a few seconds for Vista to white out the Apex window and report (not responding). Also of interest, it's using 90% of one CPU core after crashing, most of which is red I/O. According to network traffic, transfers are still running in the background while Apex is crashed. I can still move the Apex window around, but have to hit the big red X and "close program" and relaunch.

Could you send me your settings through a PM JohnD, and I'll see whether I can get it to crash. Also, does your ApexDC++ have admin privileges? Could be related to your 64-bit. I wonder if somebody with 64-bit Vista could try and reproduce the crash.

I have 64b Vista Business and everything works fine (UAC disabled, Apex is on some subfolders on D:)

I have 64b Vista Business and everything works fine (UAC disabled, Apex is on some subfolders on D:)

I'll send you his settings once I have them and see if you can reproduce the crash. :blink:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0