Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oliverwestby

External hosting of server

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm at university, and last year there was a DC++ hub running. This year there isn't. I could of course just set one up and that would be that, however, I'd quite like to not be kicked out of uni if they find out it's me, so I had a thought of a possible way round this, although I would like some advice to see if it would work before spending effort on doing it.

If I set up a hub server on an external computer, and use a dynamic dns address as the hub address, then by my understanding, the search requests and chat etc would go through the server computer and therefore be slower, but the server tells the client software which peer to recieve the file from, and as that would still be within the network, file transfers would still be fast. The university could monitor the traffic on campus, but they wouldn't be able to do anything about my server located off campus.

Is this fesible given that the clients are unable to port forward the universities firewalls etc. I assume this means the clients would all have to run as passive firewall mode.

Any advice greatly apprieciated

Ollie

and passive users cant connect to other passive users ....

So while your strategy would work for the hub, the clients will not benefit from it.

So would there be away to have them as active users, or am I on a looser with this one?

I run my hub on a remote server from time to time and there is no slow down whatsoever...and yes I use a dynamic updater to hold the hub address on the remote server, all connections to the hub will go through the server IP , It works the same as if you were hosting from on campus. only your not. ...heh

The way mine is set up I use remote desktop to access the server and start and stop the hub as though it were on my machine You can also run the Apex client remotely in that fashion if you choose, we have a few users who have their home PC set up to run a client and access it from work or school.

On the client side , if all your users are going to be on campus, I would think you would all be passive due to the fire wall issue, but it will not affect those off campus, the client's..i.e users connect direct to one another, not through the hub...the hub is just the train station, we the users are the train.

hope that helps ya bud.

On the client side , if all your users are going to be on campus, I would think you would all be passive due to the fire wall issue, but it will not affect those off campus, the client's..i.e users connect direct to one another, not through the hub...the hub is just the train station, we the users are the train.

So if they all have to be passive due to the firewall, then doesn't that mean that they can't share files between one another. The joy of having a campus sharing thing is that the whole campus connected as an internal network, so up to 100Mb/s transfers.

If only the users outside of the campus can recieve files etc, then I think I'll have to re-think my plan

So if they all have to be passive due to the firewall, then doesn't that mean that they can't share files between one another. The joy of having a campus sharing thing is that the whole campus connected as an internal network, so up to 100Mb/s transfers.

If only the users outside of the campus can recieve files etc, then I think I'll have to re-think my plan

I'm afraid that is the case......unless you can find a way to work around the campus side firewall.

Well I had a go, and managed to connect, and got my motd etc from the server, however when connecting from uni, I could not see any users or display any messages in the chat area - when i typed and pressed enter, nothing appeared.

I tried from a computer not on the uni network and that worked fine, and when I set up a hub on my uni comp, I could connect to that fine, so I assume something in the uni blocking it even with passive firewall setting!

Any ideas on how I could get around this?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0